Two children drown in WA accident

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 10:05
ThreadID: 7609 Views:6989 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Two children drown in WA accident
The bodies of two children have been retrieved from a four-wheel drive vehicle which was swept down a Western Australian river last night.

Eight-year-old Ashleigh Fiona Mungur and seven-year-old Jack Craig Anstey drowned, unable to escape from the vehicle as it was carried down the Blackwood River by strong currents, about 15 kilometres south-west of Nannup.

The girl's mother and the boy's father - a de facto couple from Perth - were trying to cross the river at Jalbarragup to get to a relative's house nearby.

Police say they told them it took just seconds for their vehicle to fill with water and they were unable to free the children despite their desperate efforts.

The bodies of the two children have been taken to Perth for post mortem examination
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Deano - Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 14:02

Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 14:02
Heard it on the news with sadness. Nannup isn't far from us and this tragedy could have been so easily avoided with some basic knowledge.
http://www.exploroz.com.au/InfoPages/TripPrep4.asp

Deaning
www.delicaclub.com
AnswerID: 32813

Reply By: Member - Peter (WA) - Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 16:19

Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 16:19
Its very sad , what makes it worse is that people have had trouble there before a couple of signs could have saved there lives this is a summer only crossingBorn to drive a 4x4 , not a keyboard
Peter York 4x4
AnswerID: 32819

Reply By: Member - Scotti - Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 18:32

Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 18:32
A 4wd tragedy of the worst kind.Having 4 kids of my own and enjoying 4wdriving I still can't begin to imagine how these parents feel and what they went through.

I can't believe anyone would even attempt to cross such a swollen river at night when you can't see anything and no one else around for backup.
I think this outlines the importance that you can't afford to be naive when it comes to river crossings.I am unsure but can only assume that the driver hadn't got out of the car and checked the water for depth and current strenghth.

I would like to take this opportunity to extend my condolences to the family & friends of the children and can only hope we all learn a valuable lesson from this tragedy.A situation I hope to never hear about again.Gregory Rock on the _Kalbarri.aspx.
AnswerID: 32829

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 22:40

Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 22:40
it was devastating news wheni read it lsat night and a tear came to the ear .
no matter what happened and how i feel deeply for the parents (or otherwise ) for their loss i would not be able to cope losing my boys .
some say the old bridge should have been repaired before it got to the current state of disrepair (not my opinion i dont know the bridge in question.

also 2 other accidents claiming family lives in the plane and outside of bendigo a family in the car

for this reason please take care out there.

1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
2 awestruck kids (dads driving!)
AnswerID: 32846

Reply By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 10:50

Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 10:50
This is a sad story but also one of shear stupidity !

You shouldn't have to point the finger about the bridge being out or no boom gates, this is a case of pure common sense.

Maybe some people should slow down & relax & not make rush decisions when faced with something your not familiar with.
AnswerID: 32861

Follow Up By: Alan H - Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 11:35

Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 11:35
Apparently there are other routes that could have been taken and avoided this crossing. However, we all have done rash things in the past without enough thought, but luckily they haven't led to the terrible ending that this has.
I think the driver will forever have nightmares about the consequencies of his actions, without critiscm from outside.
RIP Kids.
FollowupID: 23508

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 12:41

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 12:41
Days later this tragedy still brings a tear to the eye. I dont think I'll ever be able to camp by the Blackwood again without thinking about those poor kids and what their parents must be going through.

I've said on this forum before that water crossings should be undertaken with windows down, particularly in the case of electric windows, so that there is always an escape route. But after hearing about this incident I'll be going a step further of unbuckling my childs retraints (just for the crossing)!

I'd like to think I would never undertake a risky crossing but at the end of the day, we are all human and we all make errors of judgement from time to time...sometimes with tragic consequences.

My deepest condolences to the family.

:o( MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 32977

Sponsored Links