Kipatha Native Well

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 09:29
ThreadID: 76113 Views:4124 Replies:3 FollowUps:20
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

Can anybody give me the GPS cords, or close landmark for Kipatha Native Well ,which is located somewhere near the Hay River track. Have done the normal forum, blogs and Google searches but zero.

Cheers Teza
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 10:22

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 10:22
Hi

It is located at (GDA94 Datum)

25° 44" 11.0763' S
137 53" 23.2354 E

or

Zone 53
789923 mE
7150330 mN

The only map I could find it labelled on was an old geology map. It is however shown on the 250K and Hema Simpson Desert (500) map as a very small lake/claypan.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 404711

Follow Up By: Member - Tezza Qld - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 10:28

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 10:28
Thanks Greg You beauty

Cheers Teza
FollowupID: 674382

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 10:30

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 10:30
Sorry forgot to mention it is spelt Kilpattha NW on the geology map.

Here is screen shot from Hemas Simpson Desert 500 map showing the wells location in relation to tracks in the area.

Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 674383

Follow Up By: Member - Tezza Qld - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 13:45

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 13:45
Thanks Greg

It's all in the spelling isn' it . The well was mentioned in 4wd Action mag and I hadn't noticed it when travelling the Hay. I will be taking a tag a long through in August and thinking it will be another place of interest

Many thanks for your replies

Cheers Teza
FollowupID: 674419

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 14:37

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 14:37
Hi Teza
You will not find the well. It was bulldozed out in the 1960's by Oil Exploration Groups in the area. I have the full details somewhere, but will take some finding. As you drive in, there is a very large pit where the well once was located. You can see where animals dig to try and get water. It is a very easy well to find and you do not need GPS coordinates. Also near the site are the remains on an old wirly, now fallen down and other artefacts.

From People Oil Well, take the left track and keep following it as far as the old Air field, then head due north. Just keep following your nose, and you will not get lost.

Cheers

Stephen

Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 404757

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 15:48

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 15:48
Hi Tezza and Stephen
I don’t think the location Stephen is talking about matches the coordinates I provided. I of course have no idea if the 250K geology map from which I acquired the coords from are correct (they do have PD (Position Doubtful) next to them!).

Anyway if you were to follow Stephen directions you would not get to the location I gave as it is about 1.3km off any track I can see in Google Earth. I am guessing the potential well site given by Stephen is directly on the track as shown on the attached GE image. It is also marked as a bore on the Natmap 250K maps.

Its coordinates are roughly (Datum GDA94)

25° 43’ 21.7” S
137° 53’ 56.35”E

or

Zone 53
790879 mE
7151828 mN

Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 674446

Follow Up By: Member - Tezza Qld - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 15:49

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 15:49
Hi Stephen

Thanks for the photos and information. I can actually visualize the area now. We usually leave Poeppels and travel north up the inside track and then turn right to the old oil well site. The area described would be straight ahead of this turn with backtracking afterwards.

Cheers Teza
FollowupID: 674447

Follow Up By: Member - Tezza Qld - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 16:06

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 16:06
Hi Greg

Yep I see what you mean. Interesting. Could call for a little excursion. Don't know if that would be off road, off track or bushbashing. Definately trackless

Cheers Teza
FollowupID: 674453

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 16:16

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 16:16
Would avoid the "bushbashing" option - sounds a bit environmentally unfriendly:) I myself would walk in as you see a lot more that way.

Stephen may have some additional info that positivley identifies the site he describes as the well in question so you may not have to go "off road" in any event

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 674454

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 19:34

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 19:34
Hi Greg and Teza
I have just had a look at my waypoint file and here are the waypoint details for the actual site.

S25 43 22.6200 E137 53 56.9760

The only problem with GE is you do not know how up to date the image is. There are a number of ways that you can get there from Poeppel Corner, but if you are unsure of the area, follow my instructions and you will not get lost, and will not have to leave marked tracks.

From Poeppel Corner head back to the French Line and head east for the K1 Line. As you drive down the last dune and nearly on the salt lake surface, head north up the K1 Line. When you reach S25 51 14.2560 E137 58 21.7560 (Where most Simpson travellers turn right and is the start of the QAA Line and heads east for Birdsville) Head north on the well used shot line until you reach the old site of the Poeppel Corner No 1 Oil Well (S25 47 29.4720 E137 57 11.0520).

From the old well site it is only about 30 - 50 odd metre and you will come to this waypoint S25 47 30.3720 E137 57 08.1360 and turn hard left up this old shot line. At the 'T' junction with the old air strip, S25 48 07.2000 E137 55 30.5240, just head due north and you will arrive at the location, and yes it is marked on the 1:250,000 topo maps as "Bore"

When you arrive at the site, the old well site will be on your left hand side, just look for the old large cutting made by The CGD in 1963. From this site, there is a track that heads east to again meet up with the K1. Head further North for the Site of the Old Beachcomber Oil well site, or south and back to the QAA Line and Head for Birdsville

Feel free to ask any further questions.

And for the records, my waypoints are recorded in Degrees, Minutes and Seconds with WGS84, as required by one of Australia's major mapping companies, as I do freelance mapping for them.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 674485

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 20:12

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 20:12
Hi
Yes the coords you have provided match (close enough) the point I have shown as the "bore" along the track on the GE image.

I suppose the question is what maps or other evidence is available that shows this location as the being where the native well is suppose to be. The geology map I have was compiled in 1972, and as displayed above shows the location of the well about 1.7km south west of the bore (and as mentioned is marked PD). The old geology map doesnt show the bore. Guessing they probabaly plotted the well in the wrong spot but without any other info no certianty exists in my mind.

All good fun.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 674493

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 20:53

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 20:53
Certainly your picture of the well site Stephen looks very much like the picture of it in Mark Shephards book, "The Simpson Desert" published in 1992. That book mentions the well a few times...
It even has a picture of your Wirly, though standing more upright..

Cheers

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 674503

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 21:08

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 21:08
Hi Greg,
Not being a no all, but the information that you have is very wrong. Firstly the well was destroyed in 1963 and the completed geology map of 1972 have got there facts wrong. I have spent a very long time studying the Aboriginal wells of the Simpson, as documented by explorer David Lindsay. If you do not take my word for it check out a very good book on the Simpson by Mark Shephard, page 65. What I can tell you is that there are other native wells, located further west and south west, being Perlanna and Boolaburtinna. Kilpatha is a very special location, with a lot of history, native burial sites and more to discover for the trained eye.

The cold hearted facts are that a bulldozer put an end to a native well that had been there for many hundreds of years.

Another thing that I can tell you is that the locations of the other wells are very secretly guarded locations so as to stop any traveller from further destruction of these very special locations.

The Simpson is a very special place for those that have studied the history of it and is far more that just a drive across the worlds largest parallel dune system.

The section of the Simpson in the Northern Territory still offers the experienced desert traveller a chance to drive in very remote country, with no tracks what so ever to follow, and to experience the desert, just as the very first white person had to experience.

And yes I have been there and done that, but that is a very different story.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 674509

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 21:36

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 21:36
Hi
Relax - don’t care either way - if you read my last post you will see I was of the belief the geology map is wrong. Was just trying to help Tezza based on information I have at hand. Agree - the well was most likely where you say it was. Was just after some other actual evidence as to the wells location (but as mentioned don’t actually care). A simple request I would have thought. Will accept the information from anyone - even those who don’t have a high opinion of themselves:)
Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 674524

Follow Up By: Member - Tezza Qld - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 21:37

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 21:37
Hi

Thank you all for the great information. We will stop at the well for o photo or two. Any idea why they would want to bulldoze it ?

Cheers Teza
FollowupID: 674525

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 21:44

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 21:44
Hi Tezza,

Shephard writes, "In 1962, the French Petroleum Company dug out the well site and bulldozed the surrounding area. They hoped to tap into a permanent water supply for their survey work, without having to return to Birdsville."

He also says, "As a result of damage to Perlanna and Kilpatha Wells, petroleum exploration companies have been given the exact location of all well sites and a buffer zone has been created around them to eliminate further interference."

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 674530

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 21:45

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 21:45
Hi
Relax - don’t care either way - if you read my last post you will see I was of the belief the geology map is wrong. Was just trying to help Tezza based on information I have at hand. Agree - the well was most likely where you say it was. Was just after some other actual evidence as to the wells location (but as mentioned don’t actually care). A simple request I would have thought. Will accept the information from anyone - even those who don’t have a high opinion of themselves:)
Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 674531

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 21:47

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 21:47
Hi
Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 674532

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 21:52

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 21:52
Thanks Alan

Good information.

Cheers
Greg

PS Sorry about double posting - need to change internet providers

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 674541

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 22:09

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 22:09
Hi Teza
Nearly 50 years ago, there was not a lot of emphasis on Aboriginal history or their native wells. There was major oil exploration work being carried out in the Simpson, that lasted for a good many years. From the time the wells were spudded until the time that there reached the limit of finding any oil (many of the wells had good shows of oil, but because of the remoteness and the cost to get the oil out when oil was only cheap it was not a viable exercise in those days) there were up to 30 men working around the clock for very long periods of time.

Drilling required a lot of water for drilling activities, as well as to keep a camp for the men. When they were drilling Poeppel No 1, they hoped that they could tap into a reliable, high yielding water supply, thus saving many hundreds of kilometres of travel to bring water in from Birdsville.(Back in those days, the QAA Line was not made, the KI was also not in existence and they had to backtrack as far back as the Colson Track intersection then follow the Rig Road and out via the Warburton Crossing, then up to Birdsville.

The well was bulldozed and there was no water.

When you are out there, sit down and look to the west and think what it must have been like for Lindsay in January 1886 to travel this area.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 674549

Reply By: Luke2 - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 21:29

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 21:29
I think Stephen has the right location. I was there this year and it's clearly an Aboriginal site, there are lots of tiny bone fragments around the rim (in some places over a metre deep) and quite a few small stone flakes. Somebody spent a lot of time camped there over many years. It's very thought provoking!
It's also marked on some of the the Westprint maps.
Luke2
AnswerID: 404827

Follow Up By: Luke2 - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 21:30

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 21:30
oops I mean I was there "last" year...
FollowupID: 674521

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 21:56

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 21:56
Thanks

Forgot to look at my Westprint collection.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 674544

Sponsored Links