Slide on camper

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 22:20
ThreadID: 76142 Views:7656 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

We have purchased a 2007 Landcruiser tray top ute with the intention of putting a slide -on on soon. Would love to hear any advice or recomendations ?
We want one with a shower and toilet and an awning. not sure about a poptop or a fixed roof. We think a poptop, just to reduce the height a little. We also want to know how easy it is to load and unload the unit.
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: REV'S - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 23:08

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 23:08
Hi Helen& Bruce, We are the proud owners of the same vehicle as yours and have a Wombat slideon poptop camper, built in Horsham Vic. Steve will build the camper to your design and include whatever you require. We had our vehicles GVM increased by 500kg to take the extra weight of camper & contents. Recomend poptop roof to reduce height. Our shower is on the outside. Include as many draws as possible in place of cupboards for better storage. We only take our camper off the vehicle when back home. You get use to loading & unloading the more you do it the easier it gets. Our camper sits on Hydrolic legs so its not hard to lift. Just depends how good you are at reversing straight back. Hope this helps. There are many manufacturers of slide0ns it just depends what you are looking for. We have had this set up for the past 2yrs and luv it. Our maiden trip was a Simpson Desert crossing included Big Red all went great. Hope this helps with your decision. cheers Mary Anne

AnswerID: 404855

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 23:13

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 23:13
I have had a Travelander for a couple of years now. Love it. (everyone will say that after paying lots of money). Have a look at my profile for photos. Or look up the website www.travelander.com.au

Trayback campers come in two main categories

Hardfloor campers are a bit more expensive as they have a hard lid that will usually fold down to a hard floor.

Softfloor have a canvas top that is removed so you can fold out the camper. The floor is then either a sealed canvas/vinyl or sometimes just open to the dirt.

Travelander is hardfloor. It does have a shower and hotwater system. But does not have a toilet. I just take a toilet tent and fold up toilet chair.

Loading and unloading is straight forward. Back the ute under, wind the legs up, take the legs off and stow them. Reverse when off loading. Just need to back under in a straight line. I have some pencil lines marked on the front so I can see them and line up with the edge of the tray as the unit does hang out some 50mm either side.

I chose a camper with an outside kitchen.(it is under the awning.) Ever try to cook dinner inside a tent and you will prefer outside. The travelander does have fittings to move the cooking unit inside if the weather is really that bad.

My Travelander sits at about the same height as my ute tray front barrier - maybe 25mm higher.

I could go on. Ask any other questions you need.

David

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 404856

Reply By: racinrob - Friday, Feb 19, 2010 at 08:15

Friday, Feb 19, 2010 at 08:15
Yep, I also have a poptop slide, a Compass (no longer made) and carry it on on a Land Cruiser and think it is terrific.
I have made a few changes to make it more user friendly, they included another 65 litre water tank under the truck, PolyAir bellows air bags under the rear, drawers for tools and recovery gear which slide out from under the tray at the back and an outside shower to give more internal room.
Mine has mechanical jacks and is no fuss to put on or take off, 15 minutes max to load, tighten up the turnbuckles etc and I rarely take it off on a trip.
I've also done the Simpson and some other pretty rugged treks without problems, a good setup in my biased opinion.

Rob
AnswerID: 404894

Reply By: Dunedigger - Friday, Feb 19, 2010 at 08:33

Friday, Feb 19, 2010 at 08:33
We haveYork ( Millard ) 4 months old. Very happy with it. Shower , toilet 240 & gas HWS. SMEV cooktop. Storage space becomes a bit limited with the shower. We use the shower toilet in preference to caravan park facilities.

Can take on or off in 20 minutes on a slow day. I use a cordless drill to raise or lower the legs once ther are no longer touching the ground

The weight is about 720 Kg. Fortunately I have a alloy weight tray as when the 72 litre tank is full and both fuel tanks are full and a bit of gear I am close to the limit

I have a 79 series 4.2 diesel/ gas and hardly notice the drop in fuel economy but I keep my speed down to 90 - 95.

I have converted all the lights to LEDS and now have lighting down to 2 amps

There is a Yahoo Group here

Dunedigger

AnswerID: 404897

Follow Up By: Dunedigger - Friday, Feb 19, 2010 at 13:49

Friday, Feb 19, 2010 at 13:49
Forgot to mention that I would have all the lower kitchen cupboards made into draws, Makes getting things out much easier.

We had a Trayon for 7 years but got tired of packing it up especially with wet canvas

Dunedigger
FollowupID: 674610

Reply By: Geoff M - Friday, Feb 19, 2010 at 10:13

Friday, Feb 19, 2010 at 10:13
We have a Trayon camper which has been great and met our needs. It was selected after looking at all the alternative manufacturers, and looking at things such as weight, features, ruggedness etc.

We don't have the shower setup, but it is an option with the Trayon. Instead we use a portable shower which we find more flexible. The Trayon is very easy to remove - just need a portable drill. No electrics to fail in the rough stuff.

Be very careful when looking at Tray-top campers as many on the market (including some listed on this post) are heavy and could exceed the GVM of your vehicle, especially when adding additional aftermarket items such as bullbars, roofrack, etc. Just do your homework, do the figures and I'm sure you will find something that will meet your requirements.

Cheers,

Geoff
AnswerID: 404906

Reply By: wicket - Friday, Feb 19, 2010 at 11:07

Friday, Feb 19, 2010 at 11:07
If i could afford it this would be my choice, looks even better in the flesh

http://www.highrise.com.au/ute.html
AnswerID: 404912

Follow Up By: Geoff M - Friday, Feb 19, 2010 at 15:19

Friday, Feb 19, 2010 at 15:19
Looks pretty good - there are lots of tray-top offerings around now. Appears pretty weighy however, and sticks up a bit higher than others when travelling. Several features 'missing' compared to some other offerings.

Like most things, it is a compromise and needs to be compared against its opposition while balancing each individuals needs.
FollowupID: 674622

Follow Up By: wicket - Friday, Feb 19, 2010 at 16:10

Friday, Feb 19, 2010 at 16:10
always a compromise, but it does weigh less than 600kg which is pretty good
FollowupID: 674632

Sponsored Links