Camping in the Victorian High Country with Kids (in Bright and surrounds)

Hi Everyone.

We are thinking of heading up to the Victorian Alpine region in July this year and trying to decided if we take the camper trailer or stay in cabins/houses. We are not going to stay in the snow itself but more down in places like Bright. We have two kids 3 and 5 year old boys. We are from SA.

Has anyone had any experiences with this - ie will it be just too cold and miserable or should it be okay? Has any one got recommendations on where to stay?

Thanks heaps

Tara
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Moose - Friday, Feb 19, 2010 at 14:32

Friday, Feb 19, 2010 at 14:32
G'day Tara
Last July we were in the NSW alpine area. Stayed in a cabin which was close to, but not in, the snow. Gee I'm glad I wasn't camping because it was damn cold outside. Also when camping it means that any inclement weather just exacerbates things. I don't mind camping in the cold if it's only short-term but I'd really hate to do it for a long stay.
Cheers from the Moose
AnswerID: 404924

Reply By: Member -Toonfish - Friday, Feb 19, 2010 at 14:38

Friday, Feb 19, 2010 at 14:38
depending on your level of cold tolerance it can be a great outing in the camper (you have a gennie for heat in camper? some people dont believe in heaters under canvas for obvious reasons!)
but having been a resident of bright its a great area with plenty to see and do however many tracks will be closed from after quenns birthday weekend.

we have stayed near Harrietville ,smoko in cabins ,and camped around Myrtleford along with the lcool group i think was just below twin jeeps track on a small river.

pretty spot but accom may be booked out with skiing types.

Try eating at Rebekka's in bright if you get the time its highly recomended!

i worked at the pinewood in bright but unless its changed its not overly flash and my wife worked at riverside in bright as well and that was great and im sure Frank will look after you if he is still there (foods good there too).

hope it helps
cheers
2013/14 around oz adventure bound

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 404925

Reply By: Crackles - Friday, Feb 19, 2010 at 21:46

Friday, Feb 19, 2010 at 21:46
Camping in winter depends on the quality of your clothing & bedding. If you have the right gear it doesn't really matter how cold it is. In Bright you could expect it to be minus 3 & frosty or raining & 8 degrees in July. Plenty of options for cabins or rooms. Porpunkah Hotel has cheap clean family rooms & nice meals. Some great winter driving up behind Mt Buffalo.
Cheers Craig.............
AnswerID: 404966

Reply By: Tars - Friday, Feb 26, 2010 at 14:47

Friday, Feb 26, 2010 at 14:47
Thanks everyone.

Still a bit undecided but thanks for all the feedback. We probably will end up getting a cabin as at least the boys can stay warm inside if it is wet and raining outside. Will have to repeat the camping trail up there during the warmer months.
AnswerID: 406157

Reply By: See Bright Victoria! - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 22:38

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 22:38
The last time I was in the area that time of year, we received an extremely bad storm with very large hailstones, and the temperatures in Harrietville were close to zero degrees at night. I would advise to grab a cabin (they are cheap at Harrietville and very comfortable), if not, then so long as you have good safe heating, there are plenty of places on the Ovens River where you are allowed to stay overnight. One in particular off the Great Alpine Road near Smoko is a good one, but I do stress, it gets extremely cold in the valley that time of year, so a heated cabin is what would get my vote.

Good luck, hope you have a great trip!
AnswerID: 406588

Sponsored Links