Esperance

Hi all, I am hoping someone on here can shine a little light on Esperance.

The family and i are planning a trip down to Esperance as it looks to have the most gorgeous beaches and scenery.

My question's are- how easy is beach access down there?
And is there many good 4wd tracks down there and where are they?

As i am very old school in my methods i dont have a GPS, mud maps are great lol

Cheers for any help guys and see you out there :-)
Juppy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ricochet - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 13:27

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 13:27
Beach acess in Esperance is easy in many places, check tourist bureau, fishing tackle shop in shopping centre or DEC office, sll can point you in right direction. Check beaches before going on them , some can be treacherous, Munglinup to the west and poison creek to the east have swallowed vehicles that I am aware of. tides will play a big part on some of the narrower beaches. Have been on some beaches which could do 100km (not condoning) one trip and next is hard low range slogging.
Western 4wd have a day trips on south coast which have some 4wd trips, should be able to get that in the newsagent or direct.
Take the fishing gear, let the tyres down and have a great trip.
AnswerID: 405035

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 14:04

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 14:04
Hi Juppy

The mini booklet 4WD days on the South Coast of WA is a very good guide. We purchased ours from the bookshop here in 2005. When talking to another camper at Mt Franklin who used to be based in Esperance, he said there is a new book out which is so good and raced to his vehicle to get out the very same one i had.

You are right, the beaches are gorgeous. We were going to camp at Lucky Bay in the Cape Le Grande NP, but it was January and we couldn't get out rig in.

You won't need a GPS.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 405039

Reply By: Sillydad (WA) - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 14:36

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 14:36
Hi Juppy,

We took our kids there for a week in October 08 (they were 2 and 4 at the time). Stayed at Cape le Grand campsite - smaller, more secluded individual sites that we really liked. Fitted our camper trailer with 9ft annex with plenty of room to spare. solar heated showers in the ablution block were a nice convenience.

Beautiful beaches, scenery and wildlife. Water is VERY cold for kiddies though... Would recommend going there over August/September for the wildflowers - masses of banksias all through the area.

Not a lot of easy walks for young kids. Some short tracks to lookouts and some longer (5km+) ones, nothing in between. The beach run from Cape le Grand to Esperance was great and no problems at the time in a Rav4.

Lovely stay except for the constant wind...
AnswerID: 405044

Reply By: Member - George (WA) - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 15:34

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 15:34
Cape LeGrande all the way back to Esperance, no problem driving on the beach. The locals drive 2x2 utes on the beach. There are 2 spots where it may get a little soft, getting off the beach, at Bandy Creek, at the Esperance end. Also Lucky bay, easy driving along the beach. Cheers
AnswerID: 405049

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 16:17

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 16:17
Juppy, NPs such as Cape Le Grande do have entry fees, so it pays to get a WA Parks Holiday Pass if you plan to visit a few. Camping fees not included and must be paid on site.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 405051

Reply By: Member - Michael C (WA) - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 17:37

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 17:37
Hi Juppy,
A boat trip to Woody island, A climb up frenchmans Peak in Cape Le Grand NP and a stay at Bay of Orleans caravan Park are highly recommended. The access and beach driving are excellent. lots of 4wd tracks around this area. Relax on the beach at the pier in the evenings with a good coffee from the coffee cat caravan if he is still around. Awesome stretch of coastline. most info is obtainable from local info and parks and the locals.
Have fun,
Michael
AnswerID: 405062

Reply By: Juppy - Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 19:14

Saturday, Feb 20, 2010 at 19:14
Cheers for all the responses guys its fantastic. Some really helpful info there.
I hav'nt been down that way since Adam was a boy. Travelled the South/West quite extensively many years ago, then marriage, children, mortgage etc put a halt to all of that so now as a family looking to get back into the camping 4x4ing scene once again.
So thank you all so kindly for the info
Cheers n beers
Juppy
AnswerID: 405073

Sponsored Links