LOOKING TO BUY A SWB SOFT TOP 4X4

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 16, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 762 Views:4561 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
HI
IM LOOKING TO BUY A SWB 4X4. I HAVE A BUDGET OF AROUND 8K. I WILL COMMUTE TO CITY AROUD 4 DAYS A WEEK AAND OUT TO THE BUSH ONCE IN A WHILE. I ALSO WOULD PREFER A SOFT TOP. ANY SUGGESTION ON WHAT SHOULD I GET. I HAVE AN EYE ON SUZUKI VITARA AND SIERA , THANKS
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael - Saturday, Feb 16, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Feb 16, 2002 at 01:00
And how much of Australia do you expect to see in this little baby? Ponty.. once in a while you could hire the real thing and get a Corrolla for the big trip you make each week...

Mike
AnswerID: 2126

Reply By: Rob - Sunday, Feb 17, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Feb 17, 2002 at 01:00
Ponty,
I currently drive a soft top Vitara to work each day and we occasionally take it bush. We have also had a Sierra but I wouldn't recommend it - too noisy, too gutless and they leak like crazy.
Vitara is great on sand and small enough to go places where Cruisers, etc, can't go.
I would go for a Vitara because of the larger engine, better suspension, more comfortable seats,
more luggage area, and they don't leak. We have had ours for 10 years since new and had no problems.
My main 4WD is a 4.2L Turbocharged and Intercooled GU Patrol, but the Vitara is more fun
for short runs at weekends.
AnswerID: 2127

Reply By: Warwick - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Ponty,

I used to own a 1.3 Litre, Suzuki Sierra. I had it for 4 years and had the time of my life in this little 4WD. I drove it into the ground through all sorts of terrain, with no diff lock, no bullbar, winch etc. (young and silly with no money). The only recovery gear that I had on board was a snatch strap. On many ocasions I made stupidly modified Jap-Trucks look very very silly in rough terrain and on the big dunes on Stockton Beach. So as far as I am concerned they are very capable 4WD’s. But If you want to tour in one... forget it, they hardly carry enough for a packed lunch, this is the only reason I sold mine and bought a larger car in the Defender 110.

SeYa
Warwick.
AnswerID: 2157

Reply By: Nigel - Sunday, Feb 24, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Feb 24, 2002 at 01:00
I once drove a Sierra from Melbourne to Cairns in 3 days and I can definately say they aren't built for speed or comfort. But they are bloody good at what they are designed for and that is being a simple, easy to maintain and fix, go ANYWHERE vehicle. I eventually killed mine by towing a boat for a friend (I was young and foolish). I now drive a modified GQ Patrol Wagon which carries the family comfortably but can't go on many of the old "Suziki tracks" we used to frequent before the kids arrived.
AnswerID: 2178

Sponsored Links