Ozi Moving Map Help

Downloaded the the demo version, opened the world map, set up Garmin USB GPS. Start moving map then get error saying "Demo version can only load image files in BMP format". Tried it on another computer worked fine.

Any ideas

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 20:52

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 20:52
Hi Chris

I downloaded the demo and trial versions of Ozi, and when I read the terms and conditions, it tells you that it will only work with .bmp file, and that you can't transfer info to or from your gps,(so no moving map etc), so I never tried.

I can understand the reason for restrictions on a demo version, considering the amount of R & D money that has gone into producing the software, but I found it too restricting to give any real idea of what it works like.

I'm surprised to hear you got it to work on the 2nd computer.

Cheers, Dave

AnswerID: 405261

Follow Up By: Member - Chris E (WA) - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 21:32

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 21:32
Dave

As far as I know the world map is a bmp so you can test the gps. I just dont want to pay for the program and have it not work on the machine I want it on.
FollowupID: 674973

Follow Up By: Gramps - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 23:23

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 23:23
Dave,

I think you need to reread the instructions on the Oziexplorer site. You can run Moving Map etc.

Regards
FollowupID: 674992

Follow Up By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 21:12

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 21:12
Hi Gramps

Looks like I got things mixed up. I probably read what CANT be done on the trial version, and what CANT be done on the demo version, then put the two together, thinking I couldnt do much at all.

I still have both versions on this computer, so will go back and experiment with them.

I was going to purchase it anyway, just going on recommendations, so it will be good to get a better idea prior to purchase.

Thank you for alerting me to the error of my ways.

Cheers, Dave

FollowupID: 675189

Follow Up By: Gramps - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 21:36

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 21:36
Dave,

Sorry if my reply sounded sharp. I was confused as well the first time I downloaded and tried to use it. It's a very good product.

Regards
FollowupID: 675198

Follow Up By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 23:43

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 23:43
Hi Gramps

I didn't notice any sharpness in your post. I am really pleased that you pointed out that I had misread the terms and conditions of the trial and demo versions. I downloaded Ozi onto my laptop this evening as a matter of fact, so you can expect some questions in the coming weeks!

I certainly didn't take any offence in what you said.... I've been known to be 'sharp' at times, so if you dish it out, you have to cop it on the chin when you are wrong, but like I said, I am pleased you corrected me.

Cheers, Dave

FollowupID: 675228

Reply By: Gramps - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 21:41

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 21:41
Chris,

From the Oziexplorer site :

Two versions of OziExplorer are supplied in this download a Shareware/Demo version and a Trial version - each has different feature and operational limitations, by using the 2 programs almost all the features of OziExplorer can be tested.

* The Shareware/Demo version is missing many features that you get in the full purchased version click here for details
o But it does allow full communication with the GPS for upload/download and moving map
o Only allows maps in BMP image format to be loaded
o Only loads maps in WGS84 datum
* The Trial Version has almost all the features of the full version (works with all supported image formats and datums) but with these limitations
o No communication with the GPS for upload/download
o No saving or loading of Waypoints, Events, Tracks etc
o No saving of map as an image file
o Will close down after 1 hour of running (must be restarted)

* All the files necessary to run OziExplorer
* Help file
* Demonstration data files.

When you install and run OziExplorer, select the Tutorial (Demonstration Data) option on the Help menu which will guide you through some of the operations and features available within the software.

The Shareware/Demo and Trial versions function differently as above.

What will you be running it on ?

Regards
AnswerID: 405273

Follow Up By: Member - Chris E (WA) - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 22:35

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 22:35
Gramps

Using shareware/demo version with supplied "World" BMP.

Both running on laptops with XP
FollowupID: 674988

Follow Up By: Gramps - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 23:21

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 23:21
Chris,

Are there any other maps (non BMP) in the same directory as the World.BMP or in any of the pathnames specified for Ozi to search ?

I ask this because there is an option "Check for More Detailed map" in the Moving Map function i.e. once your GPS has a fix it would look for a more detailed map (than the World.BMP) and possibly throw up this error if it was'nt a BMP file ( long shot, I know).

It might be easier to just remove Oziexplorer from the system getting the error. Turn off any anti-virus etc programs running. Reload Oziexplorer.Check whether Ozi works OK. Restart anti-virus etc.

Regards

FollowupID: 674991

Follow Up By: Member - Chris E (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 16:28

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 16:28
Gramps

Think you are on the money. I now remember copying some other stuff to the computer that is not working. I will remove and test

Thanks Chris
FollowupID: 675315

Sponsored Links