Crunch.....!

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 20:54
ThreadID: 7622 Views:2681 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I was driving up this creek in the Flinders Ranges on Friday in search of a waterfall. The creek was running about 15cm deep. It was also a good chance to wash some of the mud off the 4by. We cleared quite a few difficult obstacles and then approached this insignificant little rock ledge. But there was a hole in the creek where the wheel dropped in to and CRUNCH...!!! I hit it. Bent the front springhanger back level with the chassis. Hmmmmm...but we left the truck there and went for a walk. On our return we manoeuvered the Patrol into a position near a dead stump and wrapped a snatch strap around the stump and using the winch through a snatchblock and two tyre levers, gently pulled the springhanger forward until it jumped into place. Apart fron one stuffed shockabsorber there seems to be no damage. Good ole truck!
Cheers
WillieNever a dull moment
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Al Symers (SA) - Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 21:02

Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 21:02
G,day Willie, Another problem solved as only you could. How come your home early with onother day to go or is the busted shocker make driving too difficult. Had a drive around Sunset yesterday, the country is looking good and the weather hasn't even warmed up yet.Nil Taurus Excretus
AnswerID: 32839

Follow Up By: Willie - Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 21:15

Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 21:15
G'day Al,
We had a great time. Left Thursday early in the rain and spent most of the day sideways getting up to the Warrawena Station via some back roads. From the homestead to our campsite was 7km and it took 1 hour! Lots of crawling and climbing in muddy conditions. Camped for two nights in a beautiful valley and had it all to ourselves. There was a hut, rainwater tank(full) and a long drop and plenty of firewood all for $10pp per night. Very good value. The wood was a bit wet but a dose of Super soon gave us a roaring fire to keep us warm in the near freezing weather. The countryside is very spectacular and there are some challenging tracks. If you have not been you must make a point of going. Had to be back home early as we are having visitors from the Alice tomorrow.
Cheers
Willie
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 23477

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 22:27

Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 22:27
the bush mechanic triumphs again.
well done
most idjits would be on the sat phone hollering " is this royal autombile club?"
lmao
would love some co ordinates for your 2 day stay if its not too secret a property?
may get there next august?
cheers1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
2 awestruck kids (dads driving!)
AnswerID: 32845

Follow Up By: Willie - Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 22:39

Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 22:39
No worries Toonfish....go to www.warraweena.com
Have been there twice now after reading a post by Member-Wherethehellarewe some time ago. The managers, Stony and Gina Steiner are very friendly and hospitable and you can book remote camping in advance. On this trip I also got permission to travel over another property the the owners were equally as friendly. The country is spectacular. The tracks are rough!
Cheers,
Willie
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 23487

Follow Up By: Hellbelly - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 08:48

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 08:48
G-day Willie. Both you and the vehicle sound unstoppable mate. These plases sound really nice. Where do you get the info on these areas in the first place. I'd love to go check some of them out. I'm still a little green in 4x4 terms but have done a bit of driving and love it. So far I've been over to Fowlers Bay, Robe and a great little area at Morgan. I've got a BJ42 that seems to have no trouble getting me though most things I've encountered so far but I would'nt be too keen on hitting real hard stuff so far away and by myself, so are they easy (but difficult, if you know what I mean) to get around in?

Cheers

Mick.....
FollowupID: 23558

Follow Up By: Willie - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 17:39

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 17:39
G'day Hellbelly

Normally I pick a place and take time off to go exploring if I have not been there before. Having only been here in South Oz for 5 years I am looking at different places all the time. This site is also good for gaining information on places to visit. Then I try and get as much info off the internet and then get on the phone and ring people to gain access or other information. I think one can spend a lifetime driving around the Flinders. Now after some rain it is looking really great. Happy exploring.
Cheers
Willie
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 23595

Reply By: Rick - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 19:30

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 19:30
G'day Willie

Have you been to the Bendleby Ranges? I went on my way to the Holowiliena 150th event, and was very impressed.

Great views; fantastic campsites with clean, non smelling long drops, and firewood supplied. I was very impressed with the core values of the hosts, and liked what I saw about protecting the environment while allowing access.

We only had time for one of the drives. We conquered the Hungry Range route. It was not really difficult. BUT it was a little awesome on the Ridge Top and Billy Goat sections - not for those without a low range, or for those with a faint heart.

Gotta go back there with others & some kids.

Cheers

Rick
AnswerID: 33026

Follow Up By: Willie - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 20:11

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 20:11
G'day Rick,
I have only been from Yunta via Baratta to Johnburg and Orroroo. The tracks you are talikg about are no doubt on private property? If so do you know what the charge is for driving/camping in that area.
The Flinders are definitely magical at this time of year. We had permission to drive from Warraweena through Narrina Station to the PAR at Patawarta Gap. Very beautiful and scenic country and no one out there! It took us 8 hours to do 69km with lots of creeks and gullies to cross. Pretty hard on the wrists without power steering !
Cheers
Willie
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 23604

Reply By: Rick - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 20:41

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 20:41
Willie,

Yes, the Bendlebys are on private property belonging to Jane & Warren Luckraft.
They have a website. Cost for 4 blokes camping for one night was $ 20; the Hungry Range track cost was $ 25. To tarvel it took about 3 hours. The camping cost seemed almost too cheap.........

We then went onto Baratta Springs (private property) and camped for two nights. After attending the Holwiliena 150th on Sunday, with about 130 others, we thought we ought to visit our favourite pub, the Heartbreak Hotel at Cradock. I beat a bloke on the arm wrestle machine they had borrowed to run an official pub event the night before, but my arm was sore for two hours afterwards. It was a slow trip of about 80 km home to Barrata Springs for the designated driver - he had to stop frequently to allow some emptying to take place! We got the camp oven on about 10.00 pm and finally ate our roast at midnight. It was a very enjoyable day.

Having to return to Adelaide on Monday, we went south to Belton, down to Johnburg, Orroroo, Pekina and Magnetic Hill. It is for certain that patrols do free wheel UP hills.........

Great locations and suberb scenery so close to the big smoke, too. And going just a day after that rain was fantastic. Everything was fresh and clean and green. Heaps of plants in flower, including lots of dead finish. Curse that invasive Ward's weed, though.

Cheers

Rick
AnswerID: 33041

Follow Up By: Willie - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 21:08

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 21:08
Rick,
I am amazed that you were still upstanding at midnight. Fun place, that Magnetic Hill.

What is the name of the Luckrafts property as I see that there are various families by that name in the phonebook.

Cheers

Willie
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 23613

Reply By: Rick - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 21:16

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 21:16
Willem,

Warren & Jane Luckraft " The Springs" phone 8658 9064
email: jluckraft@bendlebyranges.com

CheersRick (S.A.) - ' It is better to travel hopefully than arrive'
AnswerID: 33048

Follow Up By: Willie - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 22:37