How to bolt down rear drawers

Hi Guys,

I've just knocked up a set or rear drawers for the back of the wagon.

Now I need some advice on how to bolt them to the floor of an 80 series wagon.

I thought of drilling straight through the floor or maybe using the built in anchor points for the third row seats.

There is about 5mm clearance under the bottom drawer and about 10mm under the fridge slide on the right side.

Image Could Not Be Found

Thanks
Geoff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Off-track - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 21:38

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 21:38
There are some tie-down rings under the carpet, just unbolt them and use the existing hole and anchor nut.
AnswerID: 405271

Reply By: ian - Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 22:28

Sunday, Feb 21, 2010 at 22:28
Geoff
there are many threaded holes in the floor for the rear seats, etc, as well as the ones on top of the wheel arches where you can bolt a bracket. This combination has worked well for me for many years.
drawers look good
Ian
AnswerID: 405287

Reply By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 07:33

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 07:33
Hi Geoff,

In the rear of the wagon there will be a number of captive nuts in the floor for holding seats in etc... It will take a bit of measuring to get your mount holes right, and then bolt your drawers to the floor using those captive nuts.

I used some folded metal sections known as hat section in the rear of our GQ to provide a base for my drawer and slide. Made it easier to mount everything.

BTW, your unit looks good mate, don't forget to post a pic when you have installed it in the 80.

Cheers

Brian

AnswerID: 405308

Reply By: Best Off Road - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 07:58

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 07:58
Geoff,

Good looking drawers.

Mounting is easy when you know how. Too hard to type it all, give me a call on 03 9706 6527 and I'll talk you through it. It would be best to be standing at the back of the car when you call me.

Cheers,

Jim.

AnswerID: 405311

Reply By: PradOz - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 11:07

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 11:07
HI - nice work! I seen somewhere on net (here?) where someone else made theirs and used those adjustable turnbuckles that you would use for your TV antenna on a house roof but in stainless steel. They tied them to the anchor points on the floor to side of your storage box that had an anchor point built into it bt coming out the side above the cars floor points. He said it allowed him to get a real firm tie down with no movement. Not sure if that helps or confuses, cheers....
AnswerID: 405349

Reply By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 11:47

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 11:47
Geoff,

As others have said, there are plenty of points if you have a look. Towards the front, you can remove the tie down points (child seat ones) and towards the back there are a couple of lighter cargo hooks which can also be removed. Just need to get some bolts to fit.

One point, if you use these points, fill the spare hole with silicon (easily removed when you want to re-install the original fitting). Otherwise you would be surprised at the amount of dust you can ingest. Been there..........

Cheers,

Matt.
AnswerID: 405366

Sponsored Links