Bush Camps on the Murray (SA Side)

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 19:45
ThreadID: 76269 Views:6997 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all

First attempt using this site and I'm full of hope.

Me Cobber and I bought a Camper Trailer between us. Unfortunately our good ladies don't share our passion (truth is they love getting rid of us).
After setting it all up with a kitchen etc. and after 20+ camps in the past 2 years (mainly 3-5 days at a time) we have now become a stayed in where we go. We have camped many times around Morgan (I like the River) and many times on York Peninsular (me Mate like the Sea). We are heading off for the SA (Adelaide Cup) weekend (5th - 9th Mar) for 5 days ... But WHERE TO GO???
Don't mind paying but really prefer Bush Camping to Parks. We have all our own facilities so we don't necessarily need a Toilet/Shower Block but they are always welcome.
Any Suggestions from the Forum will be appreciated.

BTW we always have a spare tent and spare sleeping gear if someone is looking to join us. (We are sick of each others stories now ... we've heard them enough)

Sparra
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: keviny6 - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 21:30

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 21:30
hogwash bend off waikerie-cadell rd ---moorook coservation pk just before moorook campground.---penong landing via mannum . tailem bend-- cross ferry turn left a couple of spots there--same at waikerie cross ferry more spots in there. used to be nildottie greenways landing --big bend --owing to low water havent used those 2 for some time
AnswerID: 405643

Follow Up By: Sparra Carter - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 22:47

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 22:47
OnYa Kev thanks for that
FollowupID: 675384

Follow Up By: Member - swagman(VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 23:42

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 23:42
question? should that have been purnong landing instead of penong
FollowupID: 675401

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 21:39

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 21:39
Hi Sparra
Good camping spots in the Riverland is like asking how long is a piece of string. Some of my favourite places would have to be between Berri and the Border. Around Berri there is Katarapko National Park with many fine bush camping spots. A little further east you have the Lyrup Flats area in the Murray River National Park, again with great river bush camping areas right on the River. Further east yet again you have the Chowilla Game Reserve and further east, just across the border in the very top part of Victoria is Lindsay Island. Here are a few pictures of the various area where you find some of the best places in the Riverland. These are just a few, as there are dozens of great places, just like below.

Cheers

Stephen

Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 405651

Follow Up By: Sparra Carter - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 22:53

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 22:53
Thanks Stephen
Yep we know Katarapko and love it there been there quite a few times
We haven't been past Berri (yet) but it's on the agenda now, so thanks.

This trip we were looking for a spot perhaps around Manum or the Bridge somewhere a bit further downstream (yeah I know the waters low)

the Pics are great and all look like big magnets to me.

Sparra
FollowupID: 675389

Reply By: Member - GREENDOG - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 21:44

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 21:44
Blaze from Berri will give you all the info on here that you are after on camping on the murray.I pass through Moorook every secound day of the week {0n the job} and thats not a bad looking camp ground,looks like they have a swimin spot down near the boat ramp.cheers GREENDOG
AnswerID: 405653

Follow Up By: Sparra Carter - Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 23:00

Tuesday, Feb 23, 2010 at 23:00
Greendog, Thanks for that.
Too right the Berri area is top notch River side Bush Camping.
My apologies for leading you and the others astray by not indicating that I was looking for a spot down river a bit.
Can say that I've seen Moorook camping area (perhaps I have and didn't know it's name)
Cheers
Sparra
FollowupID: 675391

Reply By: Redback - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 09:10

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 09:10
Overland Corner on the Murray there is camping behind the Overland Corner Hotel or down by the river.

One of the best meals I've ever had was at the pub.

There is also camping at Plush's Bend at Renmark.

Both free.

Baz.
AnswerID: 405706

Follow Up By: Sparra Carter - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 20:22

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 20:22
Thanks Baz
Yeah the Overland Corner was once mentioned to me by a bloke in Berrie.
I'd forgotten about that.

Sparra
FollowupID: 675521

Sponsored Links