New Exploroz feature - GDEM dataset

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 20:54
ThreadID: 76302 Views:2163 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
That's great that all the places now have accurate altitude figures.

After having a play here I have a couple of questions.

Can anyone tell me how I can find the altitude of any location in Australia, not necessarily one that is in places?

Is it possible to extract an altitude profile between two selected points?

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 23:55

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 23:55
Hi Alan, Google Earth will show both the coordinates and the elevation of any place under the cursor. I can't vouch for the accuracy but it seems about right when I have used it. Placing the cursor on the ocean shows zero elevation.

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 405841

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 09:21

Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 09:21
Alan, do you have the 3d / elevation option in Ozi?

If so you need to download the SRTM Height data from Nasa which is super easy, click on 3D / elevation menu then down load world data.

Then click on the"show elevation data" and it will show th eelevation at the cursor.

The data is the height as measured from the shuttle every 90m
AnswerID: 405879

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 11:43

Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 11:43
Alan,

Good pick up and good questions. Firstly when I wrote the blog yesterday I had started the Alt at any point, as yet I have not installed it. The answer to this question and question two are along the same lines.

To get a driving direction and or profile between two points - at present you must be able to drive between the two point so we need a driving direction so to do this Open up the features option and select the top box - New point at Click - This will enable the option the create new markers at the point you click on the map (this is where the altitude result will be shown) - So then click on your start point and when it is shown click the From here (this will show the Direction panel and will insert the start point in the system) then click on the map at your end point and then select To here (this will show the direction panel again this time filling in the End point - once these are loaded click on the create route and once this is loaded you will be able to draw the altitude profile using the Show Profile option.

I hope this makes sense - if you have any problems please ask.

PS: The profile system currently breaks the route into 50 points and draws the altitude of the 50 points in the graph thus it is best to use short routes of 25-50 kms for the best accuracy. I am working on this at the moment but that is where it is at right now.
David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 405912

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 11:50

Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 11:50
Alan,

Forgot one thing you can create new place markers using the Lat/Long search or the address search systems also - so if you want to create a marker/find alt at a spot and know the lat/long then type them in and the Alt will displayed in the new marker (in about 30 mins after I install the update to the program). Or you can type in an address like Marmion Ave Hillarys and a new marker will appear at the address and will show the Alt.

David

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 405914

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 12:10

Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 12:10
I just completed the addition of the altitude at any point system - so enable the New point at click in features and click away and the Alt will be displayed on the Lat/Long line.

PS: I think Google earth was based on SRTM so the alt provided by GDEM should be more accurate.

Enjoy.
David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 675591

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 21:21

Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 21:21
Hi David,

I have managed to get random altitudes via the method you mention.

However I cannot auto-update the "From here" and "To here" forms in the Driving Directions drop down menu. I can select many random locations and get them to load into my "plans". I have tried numerous combinations ie clicking on the point then clicking into the form and vice versa etc. but it does not auto-load. Am I doing this correctly?

I notice that the driving directions drop down menu disappears after only a few seconds, this time could probably be extended.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 675724

Sponsored Links