offroad camprite trailer

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 23:07
ThreadID: 76310 Views:7178 Replies:6 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
i was considering purchasing a new camprite trailer till i found out about the 12 month waiting list. has anyone heard of any second hand ones for sale or can anyone recomend something similar being manufactured on the east coast that wouldn't require such a long lead time.I have seen the ultimate that has a 3 month wait which would be ok.my tow vehicle is a hilux and a narrower wheel track than the ultimate,would that be a problem they weigh about a ton loaded ,would that be manageable behind the hilux alot of trailers i see are behind cruisers and patrols any feedback appreciated regards Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - William H (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 23:14

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 23:14
where do you live in "WA"
AnswerID: 405836

Follow Up By: Member - William H (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 23:32

Wednesday, Feb 24, 2010 at 23:32
I have sent you a message.
FollowupID: 675543

Follow Up By: lucky phil W.A - Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 09:20

Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 09:20
hi William at the moment im living in Scarrborough .regards Phil
FollowupID: 675565

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 00:03

Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 00:03
Hi Phil,

Crikey Camper Hire often have them for sale, would be worth giving them a call to see if they are thinking of moving some units on. But otherwise your lucky to see a 2nd hand Camprite for sale every few months - once you get one you want to hang on to it :)

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 405843

Follow Up By: Member - Darren & Janella (WA) - Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 09:21

Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 09:21
x2 Give Andrew at Crikey Camper Hire a call.

Regards,
Darren
Bungle Bungle - The Kimberley

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 675566

Follow Up By: lucky phil W.A - Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 09:23

Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 09:23
Hi Captain,Crickey campers eh i'll give em a go thanks ,regards phil
FollowupID: 675567

Reply By: Lex M (Brisbane) - Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 00:14

Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 00:14
Which model hilux?
AnswerID: 405845

Follow Up By: lucky phil W.A - Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 09:30

Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 09:30
hi Lex The hilux is a SR5 08 3ltr turbo.I thought towing a ton of camper trailer on road no probs but some of the sandy tracks here in WA would surely be a workout.regards Phil
FollowupID: 675568

Follow Up By: Lex M (Brisbane) - Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 11:19

Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 11:19
I have a 3ltr turbo dual cab. Tows a Tvan, about the same weight, without a problem.
FollowupID: 675582

Reply By: Chambo - Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 10:30

Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 10:30
Lucky phil,
Your Hilux will tow the Ultimate no worries. I have an Ulti and absolutely love it. If you order a new one, they will match the track to your vehicle. My cousin just towed his Ulti to the Cape and back with a Lux and breezed it in. Go for it, you won't regret it. Yes, they are expensive but you will pretty much get your money back if or when you sell it.

Cheers,

Chambo
AnswerID: 405893

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 13:37

Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 13:37
Hi Lucky Phil (we call someone else we know by that name...)

We've had experience camping/using both campers you're looking at (but not owned either) and just interested that you are comparing the two. One has an inside kitchen, the other is outside. One is designed to accommodate kids in the basic setup, the other not. They are both excellent campers but the differences in design would usually be where the decision point would be. If it means waiting for your ideal choice go for it. Camprite is manufactuered in Wangara and I know they have a second hand sales offshoot - maybe its the Crikey mob mentioned above, I don't know but I would recommned giving Camprite locally a call - they used to be advertisers here but sell so many they don't want to advertise anymore for fear of not keeping up with demand. Best of luck with your purchase either way, you can't go wrong!
MM
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 405930

Follow Up By: lucky phil W.A - Friday, Feb 26, 2010 at 00:09

Friday, Feb 26, 2010 at 00:09
Hi Dave and Michelle,so what was ur prefrence an inside kitchen on the ultimate or outside on the camprite.there are only 2 of us so yea the ultimate is probably the go though there is about a 20 k price difference, we just want to make the right choice.we travelled for 7 months on the east coast a year ago and with a slide on camper but found that cooking outside wasn't always practical especially in southern states.I still have the slide on camper if anyone is in the market for one.It is a trackdata with a poptop roof 2 berth suitable for an ex or single cab ute.regards Lucky phil
FollowupID: 675762

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Feb 26, 2010 at 00:50

Friday, Feb 26, 2010 at 00:50
Phil - its such a tough decision isn't it. For me as cook, personally I think I would prefer the outside kitchen as it's more what I consider "camping". I find the Ultimate much more suited to people that like/need to be indoors when camped so this may be something to consider. I like cooking but don't like to be "indoors" when everyone else is having the fun "outside" and found this an issue with the Ultimate setup. Often, with the indoors kitchen you have to lock yourself in - I also find the upstairs bit a bit annoying during the hectic cooking/serving hour. But in bad weather, it wins as you can cook, clean teeth and go to bed without going outdoors. Some prefer the more refined kitchen setup of the Ultimate - its nicely done, and works well as a kitchen but for me it takes the roughness out of camping (which is some of the appeal I think). For us as a family of 4, we wouldn't consider the Ultimate being right for us due to bedding limitations but for two it is very opulent - massive bigger than King bed - and has a nicer indoor lounge/table setup than you get in the Camprite and it has lots of clever hiddy-holes for packing things. You can even access the fridge (small upright) in the Ultimate (gas/12v) by crawling in the door when packed up eg. for lunch which is convenient but then if you drive away from camp for the day you haven't got the fridge with you unless you store a second fridge in your vehicle - the alternative is also a drawback in the Camprite (as with any other option) in that if the main fridge is in the vehicle then you need to ensure you park the vehicle when camped near the camper kitchen to avoid running back and forth - or have a good cooks assistant! It's these day to day logistics that you need to think through to make the right decision - oh and the $$ of course! For our family situation the choice would be camprite - we just haven't taken the step to order one yet - maybe after we get the next CSR trip done and we're over the swags!! in the meantime we park our swags alongside our friends camprite and watch them with envy.
best of luck with your choice - there is an Ultimate owners group website with a forum which I hear is very good if you want to find out more from other owners but it sounds to me like this is a budget/personal decision for you.
Regards Michelle
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 675764

Reply By: Punko - Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 00:08

Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 00:08
Lucky Phil, how did you go with your search for a secondhand Camprite. If you are still looking we have a 2006 model with all the extras on it that we are thinking of selling. Let us know.
AnswerID: 408320

Follow Up By: lucky phil W.A - Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 21:34

Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 21:34
Hi there Punko,yes i am still on the lookout for a camprite.there was one in the quokka{thats our local rag if ur not in WA] last week but it got snapped up before i had a chance to have a look.It went for 15k it was a 07 mdl.so contact me as i am interested regards lucky Phil
FollowupID: 678405

Follow Up By: Punko - Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 21:38

Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 21:38
It is listed in the trader section for details.
FollowupID: 678407

Sponsored Links