Prado

Submitted: Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 11:33
ThreadID: 7633 Views:2024 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
The new TD Prado has now done 5000km. The first trip we did in it was from home to Buffalo. Got 1500km from the tank, which is about 12l/100km. From the start of the freeway near Melbourne to the Mc Donalds near Wangaratta the cruise control was set on 110 km . I never put my foot on the accelerator for the whole time. I am not used to these modern conveniences -- very relaxing driving.
In the school holidays just gone we traveled to Mildura pulling our Trak Shak. We got 12.9L/ 100km on the way up. You really know you are pulling the trailer with the Prado.This is quite different to the TD hilux that we owned before which had heaps of power-- you had to look in the mirror to see if the trailer was still on!
We camped along the Murray in Mulcra Island and Lindsay Island. Did day trips along the river. Went into Neds Corner which is just been bought by a trust for nature group. Their biggest purchase of land yet , 70,000 acres. It will be another area closed to 4wds . But still the places we camped on, are State Park and are along the river and 4wders are still encouraged to go there and enjoy themselves in peace and quite while taking in great views of the peacefull Murray.
On the trips along the Murray and home again we got 14.3L/100km. The Prado is very comfortable to drive with great views over the bonnet. On the open road it doesn't sit quite as well as the hilux. You seem to make a more concience effert to keep it in the road. The hilux just sat on the road. The temp for a couple of days was in the middle 30's and even with tha aircon going things were quite warm in the cab. I think I will tint the windows. I thought I would get better economy than I did. May be this will improve as time goes on. You seem to have to drive it harder to get the power out of it. A bit like driving a diesel disco. In the overlander mag they have the weight to power at 30 . This is a quite a bit higher than any other 4wd.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SimonIT - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 16:12

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 16:12
Keep us updated farmer, am thinking about one of these babies.
AnswerID: 33008

Reply By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 21:02

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 21:02
Farmer,
I wonder if you mean a series I disco, because the TD5 two has heaps of torque and is effortless to drive. It also gets at worst about 10 l/km around town. Even towing with cruise control is effortless. I am constantly surprised at how it eats up terrain, up and down hill, while left in fifth.Bob
AnswerID: 33046

Sponsored Links