Tyres Advice Please

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 21:05
ThreadID: 76339 Views:2884 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

G'day All !!!

My husband and I are heading off on the second half of our lap of oz at the end of March and we were wondering if anyone can recommend which tyres we should buy.

We are towing a Windsor Rapid with a 2000 Hilux duel cab with an after market turbo. Last year we were away for 7 months and had Coopers with 15 inch rims but we were blowing tyres left, right and centre.

A few people have now told us that we should be using light truck tyres. To do that we will have to change to 16 inch rims, which we don't mind doing but we are not sure what tyres to buy. (We were originally recommended to buy the Coopers and that didn't really work out for us).

Additionally, the compliance plate on the van says rims size 15inch. Does that mean we can't change them to 16inch to keep them the same as the hilux?

Any input would be great, thank you

Mandy and Graeme

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pdm3006 - Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 21:35

Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 21:35
I can assure you that you can get light truck tyres in 15" diameter.
For example I run 31x10.5R15LT muddies on my Landcruiser. The LT stands for Light Truck.
For the Hilux, probably 30x9.5R15LT would be the size to go for. I've had good experiences with Silverstone tyres. Perhaps you should take a look at the AT-117 Special in 30x9.5R15LT.
Cheers.
Peter.
AnswerID: 406031

Reply By: Member - Barry (NT) - Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 21:50

Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 21:50
Mandy and Graeme

suggest you look as to why you were blowing tyre left r and c.

No good fitting more quality and expersive tyres if you are going tostuff "em

been running Coopers for just over 2 years to Arkaroola SA, through gorges and across very rough terrain, no problems

ran Yokohama for years on Pajero (can't remember the exact name) but Geolanders replaced them,,, problem was they would go out of round due to heat EVEN on spare at rear.

you need to establish why you had problems before you buy more tyres IMHO

cheers Baz
AnswerID: 406037

Reply By: WYSIWYG (Bundaberg Qld) - Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 22:18

Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 22:18
Hi Mandy & Graeme,
I have to agree with Barry, there has to be a cause for you to blow tyres L,R&C.

There is heaps of info on the forum about tyres and causes of failure. If you do a search I'm sure you will have plenty info to sort through.

The only tyre I can comment on is the ones I have fitted at the moment, B F Goodrich A/T's. They come in a 15inch LT to suit your vehicle.

The ones I have fitted have just clocked up 70,000 km and are getting close to being replaced.

They have done Cape York via Telegraph Track, the Gulf, Gibb River Road, Cape Leveque and quite a few other reasonably rough roads.

With the exception of the Telegraph Track I was towing a 2.5 tonne van and the cruiser was well loaded.

I hope I haven't jinxed myself but no damage or punctures so far.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
AnswerID: 406053

Reply By:- Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 22:58

Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 22:58
Hi Graeme & Mandy.

Have to say I agree with all the replies. LTs comes in all sizes, but my Q is, were you blowing tyres on your Hilux as well as the van or just the van? People on this site have years of experience and when it comes to tires everyone has a favourite but "blowing them left right and centre" would suggest somethings not right.
AnswerID: 406062

Reply By: Shaker - Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 23:22

Thursday, Feb 25, 2010 at 23:22
Look at Firestone RMT in 30 x 9.5 x 15.
I used them for years in both the High Country & Outback & found them to be almost bulletproof!
AnswerID: 406068

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Feb 26, 2010 at 11:29

Friday, Feb 26, 2010 at 11:29
I'm with you, Shaker. I run nothing else on the Hilux Sprayrig & find them to be
excellent. Heard a rumour they are being replaced...hope not. Sadly cant get
them to fit the Jack....oldbaz.
FollowupID: 675814

Reply By: Graeme & Mandy - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 22:22

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 22:22
Sorry for lack of detail ! All tyres blown were on the rear of the ute.The problem we have is not so much the type or brand of tyre,But more a weight issue.The problem we have now is that we have been told that because of the weight we have in the back of the ute(a lot) we will continue to blow tyres.So we have been recommended to change to a good 10 ply LT tyre.After some research it looks like we will need to go to a 16 inch rim.We are happy to do this in order to get a good tyre but are unsure of what is a good brand?

Thanks Graeme
AnswerID: 406793

Reply By: cycadcenter - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 01:00

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 01:00
Jeez............

Remind me if I'm ever driving down the road and See a Hilux coming with a Windsor rapid on the back to get out of the way.

If you are blowing tyres from the weight you are carrying its either you are grossly overloaded or the tyres are grossly under rated and I would guess it's the first.

Sorry, I'm not worried about you killing yourselves but have some respect for the other car with a family you may take out.

just my opinion.

Bruce
AnswerID: 406809

Follow Up By: Graeme & Mandy - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 01:49

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 01:49
I understand where you are coming from, but l have a family in my car to ,and l am not stupid ! we are with in our weight rights. But they say it was a bad choice of tyres.The car and van are both loaded well and travel well,we just thought we might find someone willing to help with some advice. We only want to make a good choice to be as safe as possible.

Thanks Graeme

FollowupID: 676595

Follow Up By: cycadcenter - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 09:42

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 09:42
Graeme,

Tyres don't "blow left right and centre" without cause,

I would still suggest it's because you're grossly overloaded.

A dual cab Hilux has a Tare weight of around 1900kg bare and a GVM of about 2800kg that only leaves abt 900kg for your addons, bull bar, hitch, fuel, luggage and passengers.

Even you said there was "a lot" of stuff in the ute.

Also add the trailer tougue weight.

Are the tyres blowing on the bitumen or gravel road?

What is the load rating on the tyres that are blowing?

Bruce

FollowupID: 676636

Reply By: get outmore - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 01:13

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 01:13
15 inch tyres carry a lower load rating (load rating c) and are usually of lesser construction than even the same tyre in 16 inch.

problem comes when pumping 15 inch tyres up with plenty of pressure for the load - makes them very susceptable.
i too had a curiser with a heavy camper and yes with 15s pumped up to take the load they impact fracture very easily

I have not sustained an impact fracture with 16s although the vehicle is different
AnswerID: 406812

Follow Up By: Graeme & Mandy - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 01:53

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 01:53
Thank you for your reply,I did not know that the 16s were stronger.
FollowupID: 676596

Sponsored Links