83 Mitsub L300 ?'s

Submitted: Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 12:51
ThreadID: 7637 Views:1963 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Being mechanically incompetent I have some ??'s. I purchased a L300 recently the motor was rebuilt a cple of years ago and twice in the past cpl of months whilst driving the engine has backfired and lost revs and stalled when pulled over. Then "presto" she fires up well straight away, and was happy to rtn to work. That is my "mystery meat" that I am troubleshooting, not thinking it's the fuel filter or supply( because she started straight away).
I have two ?'s
(1) Is there any points in this model? As I lifted the distributor cap and there is nothing underneath the cap itself ... like it may be electronic ignition?
(2) Tried to look at all the spark plugs, access to the last 3 were restricted by a plate that is fastend undeneath the extractors. The plate is shaped in a way that it should be affording access to the 3 plugs. Does this plate need to be fitted properly to allow access or does it need to be removed first to allow access to the plugs?

many thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 13:03

Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 13:03
Next time it happens, pull over and check the glass level meter on the carbi, sounds like fuel starvation to me. Maybe the fuel cap is blocked, and when the vacuum builds up in the tank from the fuel usage, it starves enough to run lean and backfire.
Is it a blue L300 by chance (bought from NSW)
Sounds like my old bus! If so, the electronic ignition is from a later model 2 litre motor. (1986)
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 32872

Follow Up By: wizzard - Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 17:31

Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 17:31
Thx for that ;-)
My van is the off white colour and has been in brisbane for over 10 years. Not too many blue ones in these parts.
FollowupID: 23518

Reply By: zed- Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 20:22

Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 20:22
Wizzard,

I have just had a similar drama with my hilux diesel - may or may not be relevant but anyway this is what was happening.

If i drove for 60 ks or so i would have a loss of power then engine stall intermitently. Would get out and prime the fuel filter and all went OK, replaced the fuel filter thinking partial blockage, same problem still occured. Note the fuel tank was swapped over by an associate prior to my buying it he wanted the long range tank and changed it for his standard 66l tank. Anyway Dropped the fuel tank and cleaned it out, found a reasonable amount of like a carbon residue which I believe was from the cheap ass fuel this guy was buying, it was enviro diesel or something. Anyway turned out their was a fine mesh filter on the end of the fuel pick up in the tank which as I went along sucking up the fuel was getting gunked up with the carbon residue in the tank and presto stall, stop the fuel pump all the gunk falls back to the bottom of the tank engine restarts and away you go for another 60-100k. Cleaned the mesh filter and the tank, put it all back together and no dramas ever since.

Note: I did this within about a 1000k of buying the hilux so fortunatly the gunky tank had only been fitted for a very short time as the tank change was done a week before i bought it. Was one of our company utes........

Anyway hope that helps - worked for me. Not sure if the petrol would have a similar mesh filter in the tank.
AnswerID: 32911

Reply By: tex1972 - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 21:54

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 21:54
had the same problem with a bluebird car turned out to be a primary fuel filter at the rear of the vehicle that had not been changed for years.even the dealer who sold it missed it
AnswerID: 33057

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 22:45

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 22:45
Wizzard.
The distributer in your L300 runs very hot because of the position under the seat, the electronics in the disy develop an internitant conection, the only solution is to get another distributer. Some have been replaced with later models from lancers or you can go back to pionts. The best distributer is the late model Sigma but your nead a very bright auto elec to change the wiring and drive to suit the bosch sigma unit.
Eric.
AnswerID: 33067

Sponsored Links