Safe Place to leave a Camper Trailer

Submitted: Friday, Feb 26, 2010 at 22:07
ThreadID: 76370 Views:2776 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at basing myself at one of the Camp sites in the West McDonnell Ranges. Which is the safest to set up a camper trailer so I can do day trips and come back and find the still Trailer there. Even better Tell me where not to leave it
Is theft a big problem in these areas
Thanks
Wayne B
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Feb 26, 2010 at 23:25

Friday, Feb 26, 2010 at 23:25
HI Wayne

I don't see any problems. We left our caravan at Redbank Ridge - a lovely camp spot too - while we did a day trip. Meanwhile our neighbours left their tent camp while they did an all day walk to Mt Sonder. All quite safely.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 406252

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Friday, Feb 26, 2010 at 23:34

Friday, Feb 26, 2010 at 23:34
Thanks for that information.
all I have to do now is hope the roads in the Diamantina dry out by First Week In May Otherwise its going to be a boring long drive up the highway
Cheers
Wayne
FollowupID: 675935

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Feb 27, 2010 at 10:03

Saturday, Feb 27, 2010 at 10:03
Gday,
A mate of mine was telling a while ago about the amount of reported camp-site thefts.........there are a lot!, so you cant be too careful.
Ormiston George would probably be your best bet as there is a Ranger based there. Otherwise Glen Helen.
Im not sure if you are aware or not but the road out along the Western Macs is a prescribed are so be careful if you plan on taking any alcohol!!!!

Cheers
Hairy
AnswerID: 406294

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 27, 2010 at 21:27

Saturday, Feb 27, 2010 at 21:27
Thats ok my Doctor PRESCRIBED at lease 2 cans of Beer per night to help me sleep.

You serious, not allowed to take a few cans with you. Crikey this country is going to the dogs. Sorry to say.
Wayne B
FollowupID: 676107

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 00:50

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 00:50
Its not that bad if all you want to take is a beer or two.

As long as they aren't opened and you can prove you are travelling through a prescribed area to a non prescribed area. And being its a national park you are travelling to you will be alright as long as the park you are staying in isnt one that has been handed back.
If it has it then falls under the Aboriginal act that probably is irrelevant because of the intervention................

But seriously, dont worry about it.....the chances of getting caught are about 50/50 and you can only get fined a couple of grand and lose your vehicle....
They will explain all the rules in court.

I wish I could say LOL

Cheers
FollowupID: 676163

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Saturday, Feb 27, 2010 at 12:57

Saturday, Feb 27, 2010 at 12:57
6 mths trip with c/trailer , free campsites /caravan parks / roadside stops , freestanding solar panels /generator /2x fridges ect ect ,nothing ever chained up ,nothing stolen.
AnswerID: 406326

Reply By: Member - Dave and Shaz - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 16:50

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 16:50
I reckon the closer to town you are, the more likely you will be robbed. We've just spent a couple of months in a caravan park in Darwin, and there were times there that people were being robbed every night. Funnily enough, we are in a camper trailer and never had anything knocked off - probably because we didn't leave a TV in our annex overnight. When we are out bush, we do chain the solar panels up if we do off on a day trip. Just use some common sense but don't get too paranoid.
AnswerID: 406528

Sponsored Links