Noisy diesel in 98 hilux

Submitted: Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 15:12
ThreadID: 7640 Views:3250 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
has anyone had any experience with fitting a "boom box" to a 3.0 l hilux non toubo (5l motor)? I was told that I may be able to get this fitted as a warranty ( recall) item, as this was a recognised problem. At about 2200 rpm there is a lot of resonance noise from the air cleaner, which dissapears at lower or higher revs. I have it booked in at the toyota dealer, who hopefully will do it for nix. Does anyone have any other suggestions for reducing noise in the cab - without using carpet.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: zed- Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 20:06

Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 20:06
Patrat,

I have the same engine and also notice a vibration around the 2200 rpm mark that goes away at different revs. I thought it sounds like it comes from close to the glovebox but haven't been able to locate?? What is a boom box?? Could you also let me know what the outcome is with Toyota??

cheers.
AnswerID: 32910

Follow Up By: patrat - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 14:45

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 14:45
Got it back from the toyota dealer today - Magic!!! For three years I have been putting up with a racket that people have been telling me is normal. ! It was just a loose intake pipe! The recall was for something different, which no-one has been able to explain to me. But all that was wrong was the intake pipe that goes from the quarter panel into the air cleaner was loose. The mechanics simply stuffed some foam rubber between it and the inner panel and tightened up some screws. Now it is very much quieter at all revs, so give it a go and see if that is what is happening. the mechanic at city toyota in melbourne said he had seen a few like that.
Cheers
FollowupID: 24362

Reply By: Member - Stephen- Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 11:21

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 11:21
Hi patrat,
When iworked for the local toyota dealer here inthe parts dept , the problem you are talking about was a recall and fixed under warranty. The dealer you have taken your vehicle to should supply the new air box kit under warranty.
Regards stephenjNQ.
AnswerID: 32971

Sponsored Links