storing van on slope

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 00:41
ThreadID: 76403 Views:7510 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We have an old 16ft viscount poptop that is currently on our lawn and the neighbors are not happy We did have it in storage but it was 1.5 hours away and was becoming too expensive. We have a large 3 car driveway, however it is sloped. The door on our car wont self close, it will stay open on the slope. I don't know the degree of the slope.

How can we store it on the driveway, being comfortable it wont end up across the road or slowly creeping?

I was thinking of a jockey wheel with a flat surface (no wheel) and also chocks that are secured under the wheel. Any suggestions are welcome. I know you are all much handier than my husband who can't manage to change a tyre, last trip his changed tyre fell off! He just says it can't be done, but I am sure there is a way!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Royce- Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 09:31

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 09:31
Your jockey wheel, and chocks sounds fine to me.
AnswerID: 406453

Follow Up By: Member - Keith C (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 10:39

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 10:39
Jazza, If you store the van on a slope,, chocks should be attatched to a flat board, the board should be long and wide enough to enable you to roll the van forwards onto the board and up against the chock,this way the chock can't be accidently removed because the board is under the wheel, when you need to use the van,just reverse it off the board .the dolly wheel should be on the same type of thing,a board with a chock at the front.Hope this helps.

regards Keith C

FollowupID: 676197

Reply By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 10:41

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 10:41
Hi Jazza, A friend who is absolutely paranoid about safety put 2 dyna bolts with "eyes" into the driveway behind His boat @ had 2 short wire rope slings made that He llocked to the chassis.Safety & security in one.
Mike
AnswerID: 406468

Reply By: Member - Vince B (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 10:42

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 10:42
I have a similiar clutch destroying driveway.
The van is parked on the front lawn (which also has a minor slope).The wheels are chocked & chained.

I say, bugger the neighbours.

Cheers.
Vince
AnswerID: 406469

Reply By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 10:58

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 10:58
Hi Jazza

I have a 'jockey wheel' that has a flat foot on it, made by ARK. Son in law bought it for me, but I haven't fitted it yet. Not sure that it would stop your van from moving on a slope though, but it might help a bit, (as against a wheel).

Gotta admit that I agree with Vince.... unless your van is making things dangerous for your neighbours to exit their own driveways by blocking their view of possible traffic, (vehicular or pedestrian), then it has nothing to do with them. Problem is, you have to live next to them, so its better if you can keep the peace.

Securely chocking the wheels as mentioned by others seems to be the best way of making it secure, I also like the eye and wire rope idea.

Good luck, Dave
AnswerID: 406472

Reply By: briann532 - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 11:17

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 11:17
I have seen a set up before where some steel wheel chocks were attatched to the driveway with dyna bolts, but they weren't in line with the wheels.

the van was reversed into place then the wheel chocks flipped over on a hinge.
The van was then rolled back down a bit till it rested on the wheel chocks.
I cant imagine it costing terribly much to make or install.
Very simple and very easy to use. Also very safe.

Another method very similar would be a steel plate you drive over then lift up with a brace or hinge plate to use as a chock.

I can't get a photo of it as the people no longer own the house, but if you are genuinely interested I could probably draw it for you.

if you are in Sydney I could also reccommend a good fabricator (retired but would probably help as a favour to me)

Cheers and best wishes as its not good to fight with neighbours.

Brian
AnswerID: 406473

Reply By: CSeaJay - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 11:30

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 11:30
Although the cocks described in the replies above that is fixed to your driveway is the ultimate in safety, it is also an overkill. Most of the chocks that you can purchase have a hyperbolic shape so theat the weight of your van sits on them. Also you caravan should have a handbrake. These two things combined will be fine.

The problem with the bolted chokc is also that they are fixed in one place - you 1) have to be accurate in your placement, and 2) you loose the flexibility in moving the van up or sideways to suit your changing driveway use requirements.

Cheers
AnswerID: 406477

Reply By: Jazzah - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 17:27

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 17:27
Thanks for all of your suggestions, we can't modify the driveway as we rent the house, but the chocks we have have a metal part to have the wheels sitting on, so that sound similar to some of your suggestions. We might give it a go, hell if it is a disaster it may end up a bit dented on the road (very quiet street) and it is insured!
AnswerID: 406534

Sponsored Links