Meridian GPS from Amazon

Submitted: Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 15:26
ThreadID: 7641 Views:1588 Replies:13 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
Has anyone looked at Amazon to but a GPS - they are offering the Merdian base model GPS for about $A250 which seems reasonable. This is the one with the US base maps but is simialr to what you get from EBAY - I think. I have seen written that the base maps are not all that fantastic anyway.

Is this worth it? It seems to be.

I believe I can then put a 128mb SD card (I have seen that you can put a 256mb in as well) with DiscoverAus or something like that.

Any comments appreciated,

Richard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter - Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 17:28

Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 17:28
Hi Richard,

Have a look at ExplorOz Shop for their GPS.

I would compare the benefits of purchasing a locally supplied product to those of buying from overseas. Local freight costs - warranty - repairs etc - keeping the money in Australia etc.

Before you buy elsewhere make sure that the GPS you're looking at has the Australian Maps already loaded.

Regards,

Pete Halden
Casula (NSW)

AnswerID: 32897

Reply By: DODO(bendigo) - Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 18:01

Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 18:01
gday richard.
have alook at post 7077 luke goes into a fair bit of detail there might helpRaphus cucullatus
AnswerID: 32900

Reply By: Member - Richard- Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 18:11

Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 18:11
Hi,
Thanks for the replies so far. I have read the post 7077 and from there idoes appear to be worth it, although there are some issues.

If I buy locally I will be paying $700 (and still have to pay freight). If I buy OS then I pay $250 plus freight plus memory card $100)

The base maps that come with the GPS could be an issue? what are these maps like any way? I would like to get Discover Aus any way (another $250)

Support would be an issue ? What is the local Magellan support like?

It may come down to if I want one I will have buy over seas and take the risk as the local units are to expensive.

Any way still considering my options and would liek to ehar from people who have purchased from OS.

Richard
AnswerID: 32901

Follow Up By: Member - Vince - Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 19:48

Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 19:48
Hi Richard.
Try the following web site in Sydney: sales@gpsoz.com.au
This site was recommended to be by another member who recently sold me a Garmin gps.
Regards
Vince
FollowupID: 23521

Reply By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 21:40

Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 21:40
Richard
Add another $50 on for freight and money transfers etc.
Cheers
OskarMrs Oskar on Big Red
AnswerID: 32923

Reply By: Member - Richard- Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 22:44

Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 22:44
It seems to me that financially it will be significantly cheaper.

Is there any technical reason whay this will not work (eg Discover Aus CD will not work with an imported GPS)

Richard
AnswerID: 32936

Reply By: Goran - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 01:14

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 01:14
I would stay clear of the DiscoverAus for now. This maping software has severe lagging problem that still han not been resolved. Mapsend works 100%. Not having the right base map is very annoying. However they are available on the net from time to time.
AnswerID: 32948

Reply By: Luke - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 20:01

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 20:01
Here are some quick points about buying a Magellan Meridian from OS:

1: You will save alot of money (I saved $419 AUD!)

2: You won't have an Australian Basemap built in

3: You can install detailed maps, or your own custom basemap onto an optional SD card by buying either DiscoverAus, Mapsend Streets or Great Desert Tracks for the detailed maps, and World Wide basemap CD for the basemap. These CD products can be bought quite cheaply online from legitimate retailers if you hunt for a bargain.

4: You won't find the Australian 2MB basemap for the Merigreen available for download anywhere, but you can get Magellan to install it for around $300. Might as well use WW basemap CD instead - much better basemaps anyway.

5: Magellan may not warrant a US import here, as it has not been purchased through authorised Magellan distributors here. Be aware of this important point.

6: Personally, I don't miss the Aussie basemap, as I have Mapsend Streets and have created a detailed map of Victoria which works extremely well. When I have some spare cash, I may buy WW basemap CD though - just for the "birds eye view", but it's a luxury rather than a necessity. The detailed map is much more useful IMHO.

7: When buying SD cards, be aware that although you can use large cards, the current flash upgrade may be necessary to use a 128MB or 256MB card. This update is available for free at Magellan's website. Also, be aware that Magellan have admitted problems with some Sandisk SD cards in 128MB and 256MB sizes. The smaller ones seem to work OK, but keep this problem in mind.

Anyway, I'm rapt that I bought a US import. I've saved heaps of money, and I'm not concerned about the warranty issue because if this one dies, I can go and buy a brand new import to replace it, and still be ahead!

I agree with the buy Australian sentiments wholeheartedly, but whilst I'm happy to pay a llittle more to support Aussies in business, I can't afford to pay that much more.

Cheers,

Luke.

AnswerID: 33034

Reply By: Member - Richard- Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 20:41

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 20:41
Thanks Luke and others for the replies.

Seems the OS purchase is looking better.

I have had a look in the newsgroups about DiscoverAus and seems OK but does have a possible lag problem as indicated above when loading all of it into a large SD card. It appears to not effect everyone so may be there is some hope that it is a basic problem.

Still thinking (but Amazon does look good - and reliable)

Richard

AnswerID: 33040

Reply By: Luke - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 21:36

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 21:36
Hey Richard,

I forgot, for lots of detailed info about the Meridian series of GPS units - check out the Yahoo! group dedicated to that subject.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Magellan_Meridian/
AnswerID: 33052

Reply By: Member - Scotti - Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 21:35

Saturday, Oct 11, 2003 at 21:35
In bought a Meriodian GPS from states and all up to my door cost $350.
I also have 128mb memory card and Discover Aus installed on it.

No problems what so ever.Couldn't be happier.Gregory Rock on the _Kalbarri.aspx.
AnswerID: 33442

Follow Up By: Member - Richard- Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 02:50

Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 02:50
Thanks for the reply,

What meridian model and make of memory card did you buy - I have seen posts that the Scabdisk cards do cause problems - not sure if true.

I have been thinking of the base model as does not seem worth just getting a Gold version just to get more US maps. Other higher models may be worth it - not sure at this stage.

Thanks,
Richard
FollowupID: 24024

Reply By: Member - Scotti - Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 15:37

Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 15:37
I have the base Meridian Green model.
The SD Card is a Igorium 128mb
No problems tp date and have had it about 4mths.Gregory Rock on the _Kalbarri.aspx.
AnswerID: 33484

Follow Up By: Member - Richard- Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 18:50

Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 18:50
Scotti, where did you get this from -

the GPS green is the basic model (isn't it) I am a bit cionfused over differences between yellow/black/green.

The GPS I mentioned earlier from Amazon was a yellow/black and was sold by site that does not sell overseas (so I found out). I a, not sure if Amazon will then send on.

Richard
FollowupID: 24041

Reply By: Member - Scotti - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 00:14

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 00:14
Richard

Got mine off ebay.Yes it is base model but still very good with expandable memory.
There is a chap there now selling equivilent to what I have from the same source.
If you go on to Ebay.com.au and do search for user blatt12.Shipped from the States but auction is in Australian dollars.I had mine within 5 days.Brand new in packiging.This seller posts through us mail and not courier.I checked into some other USA suppliers but they use courier and by the time you pay price + GST on arrival to aus.+courier fees + customs fees + stamp duties not much cheaper.This guy on ebay posts by us mail direct to you so no extra fees on arrival.
Hope this helps.

JohnGregory Rock on the _Kalbarri.aspx.
AnswerID: 33533

Reply By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 15:59

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 15:59
Richard
I received my "Green" meridian just over a week ago and I think it will do everything I want plus more.
$289 to my door from Luiz Fernandez (Lufern) on an ebay "Buy it now" auction.
I wish I could afford to buy in Aus. but I can't, so its immaterial where I got it from.
I looked at amazon a few days ago and I got the impression, and an e-mail from them, that they don't ship this sort of stuff internationally. I dunno.
I still haven't aquired any Aus maps ..... but I will.
Cheers
OskarMrs Oskar on Big Red
AnswerID: 33750

Sponsored Links