what first and where from

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 20:44
ThreadID: 76429 Views:3960 Replies:12 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

what to get for my 4wd first and what brand is the question, i know what i want as my wish list is growing faster than a teenager, what first is the hard one, i have a standard nm pajero and am going to start adding the bells and whistles. was going to get a winch but is one really needed. that way i can get one of my other attachments. hpoing to do fraser some time soon so what is most needed for there.
cheers Pete
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Madfisher - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 20:51

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 20:51
Been a lot of talk on the forum of late what a waste having a winch is, and ten years down the track when you do finally need it it will not work.
Start with a 50mm lift and higher profile tyres as the later Pajs are a bit low.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 406563

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 12:21

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 12:21
A winch a waste ? yes and no bigtime , Aquaintance recently bought an ex police 100series that had 9000lb warn fitted , said to him "bit of the good gear in the price" ,,,retort was "its comming off asap , b-----dy useless out here , dont need one , no trees to winch off even if you did get bogged , waste of time,",,,,,,,,,, Yes he took the winch off the vehicle and put it in the shed , since the rain started on boxing day out this way he has needed to be winched out of bogs 3 times , winch is going back on asap.
FollowupID: 676419

Follow Up By: Member - Timbo - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 13:46

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 13:46
Think of it as insurance, or a seatbelt. Waste of time, money, unecessary hassle, etc. - until you need it! I never go off-road without the handwinch in the back of the car.

The handwinch is cheaper, not stuck out in the elements when not in use (hence less maintenance required), is easily relocatable to other vehicles (or even the back/towbar of your own vehicle) but is so much hard work you'll exhaust almost all other options before resorting to it!
FollowupID: 676672

Reply By: Lex M (Brisbane) - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 21:16

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 21:16
Fraser - Long handled shovel, tyre deflators and air pump, Some basic training on sand driving. And probably most important - a tide chart.
AnswerID: 406577

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 21:48

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 21:48
And the winner is .....Lex.

My previous vehiclem, a GQ was first owned by the NSW State manager of ARB. It had everything, including a welder mounted in the glove box. Would have been better off with room for a pair of gloves, but that is another story.

The great thing about having a vehcile with every conceivable extra, and then some, is that you know what you use and what you don't.

When I bought the GU it had a snorkel, bull bar, driving lights, towbar and dual battery system. None of which is essential for remote travel or even weekiend 4x4 trips. They are nice to have but not essential.

Our first trip into the wild, with the GU, was to view the solar eclipse in Dec 2002. We camped at Monte Colina Bore on the Strz. It is pretty simple country to travel through but I would not go without a compressor. Because it is remote and the odds of having to pump up a tyre are too great.

You can run a fridge without a dual battery, you can get out of a bog without a winch, even without a shovel, it just takes longer. But you will never pump up a tyre by wrapping your lips around a valve stem and blowing.

Duncs
FollowupID: 676339

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 12:25

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 12:25
Roflmao , to that list for essentials for Fraser you would have to add a 11-13ft fishing rod and an appreciation for female Swedish backpackers. LOL.
FollowupID: 676421

Follow Up By: Peter Horne [Krakka] - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 12:36

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 12:36
Hi Duncs, I would say a dual battery system is essential if running a fridge, especially if remote travel is on the cards. Very hard to push start a vehicle if you are on sand, and impossible to push start an auto anywhere I believe. We crossed the Simpson in 2003 with a 110lt Waeco and just the start battery, it played on my mind the whole trip.
Regards
Peter
FollowupID: 676423

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 14:10

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 14:10
Peter,

If you drive every day, as most people on Fraser seem to do, then you can manage quite well without a second battery.

I managed for years without one.

But you are right push starting a Paj on Fraser island would be an interesting exercise.

Duncs
FollowupID: 676453

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 21:21

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 21:21
Suspension lift
DecentTyres
Long handled shovel
Tyre Guage
Air compressor
Jack base plate
Snatch strap
Rated D shackel
Secure recovery points
UHF radio
NO, a winch is not "really needed" for Fraser. Go do a driver training course & you will be far less likely to require one.
Cheers Craig..................
AnswerID: 406578

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 07:02

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 07:02
Hi Craig,
Just asking, wouldn't that be a Rated Bow Shackle Or are they the same, just different shaped?
Bow Shackle
Aren't D Shackles the ones used for attaching the safety chain of your trailer/Camper/ Caravan/Boat to your Tow Bar?
D Shackle
A nice simple list,and as you said Craig, "Go do a driver training course", No point in having the gear if you don't know how to use it and use it safely.

FollowupID: 676378

Follow Up By: Crackles - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 18:43

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 18:43
".....are they the same, just different shape?" Correct. Same size, same rating just a different shape. In hindsight a D would be better for joining cables or chain & a Bow shackle for slings & straps.
Cheers Craig..............
FollowupID: 676531

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 19:09

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 19:09
Hi Craig,
The reason I ask is that the Snatch kit I purchased 2 year ago, came with 2x 4.7T rated Bow shackles and i've wondered why.
Thanks

FollowupID: 676537

Reply By: WayneD - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 21:26

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 21:26
A snach strap, long handled shovel and maybe Maxx Track will get you out of most situations in the sand. As you need to deflate the tyres a good quality air compressor that does not take forever to pump up the tryes will prove invaluable.
If you want a winch why not buy a hand winch for peace of mind and arobic exercise.
AnswerID: 406579

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 21:27

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 21:27
Good quality dual battery system, as you will need power for the fridge you will also need.

Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 406580

Reply By: Dave(NSW) - Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 23:00

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 23:00
Do your suspension last, once you add all the rest of the gear you will find suspension starting to sag and have to redo it, I'd be looking at a compressor and recovery gear first then maybe tires.
Cheers Dave...
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 406593

Reply By: Member - Royce- Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 23:52

Sunday, Feb 28, 2010 at 23:52
Experience.

Take her out as is. Have some fun and explore.

Before long you will have many a situation where you think "I wish I had...."

So explore locally so that a mate can come and get you when you get stuck, or even better go with you.

Before long you build up the most important things that your vehicle needs.

Fraser Island is just sand driving really. Deflate the tyres and make sure you have a shovel. A snatch strap and mats might be handy too.

AnswerID: 406599

Reply By: get outmore - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 05:56

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 05:56
Im assuming being a Paj youll be doing more touring and camping than hardcore.

prob wouldnt go the winch.

besides what the others have said being bit of lift, tyres, recovery gear dual bateries

Id go a decent fridge - couldnt believe i had struggled with eskies so long.

Those glossy 4x4 mags all full of "must have" stuff are mostly womens weeklies for men

after you get your paj set up with the basics the best thing you can throw money at
- Is fuel to take it out
AnswerID: 406607

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 09:34

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 09:34
I'm with Royce...just go & enjoy. I agree with the snatch strap, shovel &
compressor but why rush into the other stuff until you decide there is a real need
for it. I dont see any reason for a suspension lift unless you intend doing the real
deal rough stuff, your suspension will be fine for general outback touring, subject
to reasonable weight loads. A bullbar is nothing but ballast unless you drive at night or need something to hold the spotties up if you do (drive at night). The
winch is a very expensive toy & rarely used unless doing the rough stuff. I vote
yes for the fridge & a system to power it, yes for good A/T tyres when you need
to replace the current ones, yes to some recovery gear, yes to a UHF but dont
think it is a safety device. If you want to bolt on all the toys, by all means do so,
but many are nothing more than heavy ornaments & serve little useful purpose
other than increasing your fuel consumption. Oh...by the way I am known on
this forum as a "minimalist" traveller, so make sure you consider all opinions
....I may be wrong......I was once...:))))). cheers...oldbaz.
AnswerID: 406626

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 12:47

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 12:47
My thoughts based on a standard Petrol NM would be in order:

- UHF Radio
- sturdy Side steps
- Tyres (though Fraser Island would be Ok with HT's IMO)
- Towbar
- recovery gear
- front Difflock
- Bullbar (winch capable)
- Second battery
- Suspension upgrade
- Winch

Though it all depends on where/what you want to do with your beast. ;)

Brands i would choose are quality well-known names, though many have purchased otherwise and have been successful. Depends on where you live and availability.

Hope that helps.

Andrew
AnswerID: 406653

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 12:48

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 12:48
Make recovery gear number 1 in my list.....
FollowupID: 676427

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 13:00

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 13:00
For Fraser, a good snatch strap and long handle shovel, air compressor and pressure gauge will see you done. In sand tyre pressure is the key.

The first thing I'd do then is decent tyres and then a suspension lift. If yours is standard then you'll find it's probably sagged a bit. Winch can come down the track if you really feel you're going to need it. I don't have one and have never needed one.

Lots of good info for these vehicles at Pajero Club forum.
AnswerID: 406657

Reply By: parjopete - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 13:19

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 13:19
thanks everyone, just for the record i have a 60 lt Waco, dual battery's and have had 4wds for last 10 or so years and have have done sand driving but not much beach driving and as everyone has said u never stop learning, everyone has different ideas on things to take and should or shouldn't haves, so some helpful hints above so thanks again.
Pete
AnswerID: 406665

Sponsored Links