How do you wind up your wind-up camper

Submitted: Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 09:44
ThreadID: 76437 Views:7413 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I'm interested to hear how everybody (those who have them anyway) wind up there wind-up campers (Goldstream, etc).

I use a 18V cordless drill with a homemade attachment which saves me winding a handle (even the misses can do it).

Are proper after market electrical wind up systems available which can be fitted?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 10:20

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 10:20
Thats a pretty good effort for a battery drill.

I use to wind up my Goldstream by hand, but with both caravans I have had, I used a battery drill to wind down and up the stabiliser legs.
AnswerID: 406631

Reply By: HGMonaro - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 10:56

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 10:56
we use the handle... the little bit of exercise does me good and less junk to carry and look after (recharging batteries). Stabilisers legs usually get done by my boys... 8yo winds and 11yo acts as foreman!

I've seen a Coromal wind itself up... pretty nifty but they lost another storage area to the mechanism. Someone on here a day or so ago mentioned their Goldstream had one installed so they do exist.
AnswerID: 406637

Reply By: signman - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 12:38

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 12:38
A mate in QLD has a Dyna 'pop top' camper van.
He using pneumatic pistons to raise the roof. On site just unclip the retentioin clips- turn on the compressor and zippo it's up. Quite a heavy fiberglass panel too.
Then puts a pin in each leg and all good !!

AnswerID: 406652

Reply By: PradOz - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 21:54

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 21:54
Hi

What brand, model cordless drill do you use? A pretty good effort for a cordless drill. Why would you want to change if the cordless works?

I have seen some campers on ebay for sale that have had after market home made wind up jobs done. Unforunately they take up room in the cupboard inside behind front wall. One i seen used a cheapo boat winch connected to a battery in cupboard. Not sure what else he did to get it to work.

There was someone on here that had a camper with an auto up system in it - think he lived on sunshine coast QLD from memory (he emailed me once). Also have seen an older model Jayco camper forsale in Tas that had a factory fitted one in it but no one at Jayco knew anything about them when contacted - so must be a model from a long time ago. Keep an eye on the campers for sale and if you see one in your area go have a peek, cheers....
AnswerID: 406784

Follow Up By: merchant - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 22:10

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 22:10
I have a Hitachi HT (high torque) one. It's worth mega $$$ but i was lucky enough to pick it up cheap at a yard sale.

I was just interested in what other more experienced campers use. The drill is a bit bulky so i was interested in an aftermarket auto thing.

I think i'll just go back to getting the misses to do it.
FollowupID: 676582

Sponsored Links