Manual hubs for 04 RA Rodeo 4WD?

Submitted: Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 12:19
ThreadID: 76441 Views:9760 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

I am trying to find some info on possibly installing manual locking hubs on my Rodeo. I have searched other forums and have found that it is possible, by using manual hubs from earlier models (1991 onwards). I rang my local ARB dealer and asked him about that, and he said that because of the shift on the fly system there's not a lot I can do. So I'm a little confused. The reason for me wanting to fit manual hubs is that I am considering fitting an auto locker (Lokka) in the front diff and I've heard that the locker can 'trick' the standard hubs into locking even when in 2WD? Is that true? I would say that when you're in 2WD the prop shaft is disconnected, hence no interference? Also having manual hubs means that I can use 4WD low range on bitumen when reversing large trailers, etc.

Any help would great, as I don't know much about the electronic 4WD gadgetry.

Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: seqfisho - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 12:31

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 12:31
Hi mudripper,

AFAIK the shift on fly only disconnects the front p/shaft at the tf case, lots of guys have put FWH on there RA's and you can use the AVM hubs or factory Aisin hubs from R9's (the earlier model from about 97 I think) which you can usualy get from a wreckers for under $100 the pair.

A perfect solution for a front Lokka and also allows the use of 4L as you suggested, there is some more info on the 4wd action forum in the model specific board.

Cheers Glen.
AnswerID: 406649

Follow Up By: Mudripper - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 14:23

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 14:23
Cheers mate that's what I thought. I'll have to give the wreckers a call.
FollowupID: 676463

Reply By: Dion - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 18:32

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 18:32
On the RA's with shift on the fly, the right side front axle is turning all the time the wheel is, back through the differential which is also turning the front prop shaft, but front prop shaft spins freely in the transfer case. On the left side of the axle, it is disengaged until 4H/L is selected, so that front wheels are independent of each other in 2WD.
On selection of 4WD, the solenoid on the left side axle engages it so that drive is transferred to that wheel.
As it is currently configured, a Lokka can be used without the need for FWH. In 4WD mode, the Lokka will behave as it would as if it was in a pre RA Rodeo.

Cheers,
Dion.
AnswerID: 406737

Follow Up By: Mudripper - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 20:01

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 20:01
Thanks mate.
FollowupID: 676553

Reply By: Ianw - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 21:00

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 21:00
I have just purchased the 700 odd page workshop manual for the RA Rodeo from Ebay. It shows that the RA was available with manual hubs (maybe not in Aus) Also has many diagrams of the system (see Sect 4 C2).

RA Manual

Big download, maybe better to get it on CD

Ian
AnswerID: 406771

Reply By: Member - Ian F (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 22:02

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 22:02
Hi Mudripper
Before you purchase, if available, the manual hubs which I presume will be rather expensive please think.
If it is only to save fuel which would be minimal I would not.
Any type of stationary bearing vibrates while travelling an causes at first minor indentations in the bearing races. This is called brinelling. I am a mechanical fitter and have had experience with this type of wear. I new of one person who had a Toyota who bragged that he had travelled 30000 miles with the free wheeling hubs not locked. When he had to use 4wd he complained because of the noise and tried to get it repaired under warranty.
In the end all bearings in the front diff and axle's had to be replaced and it cost him big bucks and warranty went down the tube.
By the way I own a 2006 Tdi RA Rodeo and would not even think of installing the hubs.
Hope this helps.
Ian
AnswerID: 407177

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 22:26

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 22:26
Hi mudripper and Ian

You just got to like forums :-)

I will say exactly the opposite - I have lokka's in my 2007 Ra Rodeo and fitted free wheeling hubs - No issues with bearing problems to date, but I do lock them in for a run occasionally.

I was told that the front drive line would be turning both wheels all the time when not in 4wd instead of just one side. Thus tyre wear would become an issue without the free wheeling hubs - made sense to me. The other thing I can do now is put it in low 4 without locking the hubs and I can just drive the back LSD in low to get traction on slippery grass or surface or when towing the boat up the boat ramp. Its good when you do not need low 4x4 but just a low gear for a bit more traction without doing the clutch in high first.

Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 677030

Follow Up By: Mudripper - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 11:34

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 11:34
Ian F,

See my follow-up to Redback below.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 677088

Reply By: Redback - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 07:56

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 07:56
Can I ask WHY.

Why would you want to go back to getting out of the car to lock it into 4WD??

Baz.
AnswerID: 407206

Follow Up By: Mudripper - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 11:32

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 11:32
As I said in the original post, I would like to fit manual free wheeling hubs for the added benefit of having, let's put it this way, 2WD low range. At the moment I cannot use the lower gearing on bitumen to back heavy trailers, etc, because I can't disconnect the front wheels when in 4WD low, so it's either the manual hubs ($242 from ARB) or burning out the clutch prematurely (big $$$).

BTW, I don't mind getting out of the car to lock in the hubs! I used to have an old Cruiser, and getting in and out of that was a bit harder than the Rodeo, mind you.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 677087

Follow Up By: Redback - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 13:50

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 13:50
OK, I am used to my Disco and the centre diff lock setup, I can select low range or high range without locking it into 4WD and lock it in to 4WD high or low from the cab.

Just an inquirey, didn't know the set up in the Rodeo, thanks.

Baz.
FollowupID: 677107

Sponsored Links