Carrying bikes - Hitch or Spare Tyre mount?

Howdy,

I have read a few posts on this, and a lot seem to like the Thule Ridgeline (single post - 5 bikes). I did read a post on ExplorOz saying that if you go 4wd and want to take bikes, the best was to get a Hitch mounted, A shaped carrier for extra strength and support. It didn't mention any good names though.

Question is, what are most people out there using? And do they go offroad with the bikes? I want a rigid, strong solution, but don't REALLY want to put the rear platform option due to exit clearance etc. I also hear the rear tyre option is the worst, as opening and closed the door is not good for the hinge. Have already had my rear door repalced on the 07 Prado due to this!

I am only looking at 2-3 bikes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Nick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 12:02

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 12:02
Nick,

Have a look at this hitch mounted bike carrier. It is the best one I have seen to date and I hear it is expected to retail for around the $500

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 406855

Reply By: Crackles - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 21:58

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 21:58
I've put mine on a swing away carrier so have easy access to the back of the car. Mounted it reasonably high but still buckled a $100 wheel offroad in the High Country. What ever you get make sure the bikes up high.
Cheers Craig...

AnswerID: 406966

Reply By: Member - Cantiva Clay (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 23:25

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 23:25
Anaconda stock a range of quality hitch bike racks - use heavy gauge powder coated steel. I have a three bike version usually use for 1 / 2 bikes. The best bit is they are reasonably priced - or wait till they have a special on - its free to jion and get the specials. They are really well engineered and I seriously dobt it will ever need replacing. There is a bit of a trick to it - you need to ocky strap the wheels to the main upright so the bikes don't wobble around. Also they use heavy duty velcro across the tops - you need to remeber to do this up or the bikes come off over big bumps and scratch the car.... on trips further than across town I would be ockying the top as well.
AnswerID: 406996

Reply By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 16:25

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 16:25
Please put them in a trailer.

I don't know how many times walking through the car park that I have walked around a car and hit one of those things. Its okay with the bikes in them but most people leave them sticking out and whammo.

Please at least take the carrier off or fold it up etc when not carrying bikes. You also see a lot of young kids whack them.
AnswerID: 407114

Sponsored Links