60 Series Turbo Diesel overheating

Submitted: Monday, Feb 18, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 765 Views:1677 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 1983 60 Series diesel fitted with a AIT TO3 water cooled turbo.The vehicles temp gauge sits on 1/4 to 1/2 on normal running even with the air/con on,but if boost is applied it will rise to 3/4 and all the way to just below hot if asked to climb a reasonably long highway hill.The radiator has been cleaned and it is not overfueling.It has a oil cooler on the left side of the radiator.The vehicle has never boiled or lost water,but i am concerned about running at these high temperatures .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Chris - Monday, Feb 18, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Feb 18, 2002 at 01:00
Also the water pump,thermostat @ radiater cap have been replaced and the viscous fan comes on if temp increases over 1/2 way on gauge.
AnswerID: 2140

Reply By: Steve - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2002 at 01:00
Chris,

My old 60 series had a temperature problem that I tracked down to blocked radiator cores. I had the radiator flushed to no avail, then I had it cleaned by taking the top and bottom tamks off and having the tubes rodded. The gunk that came out was amazing. It appears that antifreeze coolant builds up over a long period of time in the cores. It was inert to any of the radiator "cleaners" out there on the market. So my advice, get the radiator cleaned properly, and don't waste money on a pressure flush. Mine was as good as new after this :)
AnswerID: 2150

Follow Up By: Chris - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks for the advice Steve,but the top& bottom tank have been removed and the core tubes cleaned,in fact the radiator mob was amazed that all the cores bar one where so clean.I have also heard a rumour that there is a bypass in the head that if removed can help with the problem.
FollowupID: 756

Sponsored Links