SA Fruitfly roadblock warning in Riverland

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 14:56
ThreadID: 76521 Views:3254 Replies:4 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
If you are travelling in the SA Riverland area over the coming longweekend.
A warning was issued on radio this morning. Extra checkpoints will be in operation over this weekend with new powers to issue on the spot fines of $345.
There has been a new outbreaks of fruitfly in the Adelaide metro and as a result there is to be an increase in checks to protect the Riverland area.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 15:52

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 15:52
And so there should be.

The rules are not withdrawn when the inspectors are not around or when the weekend is over. Do people really believe that the bugs go to sleep during these times.

I hope they get a whole bunch of these very selfish travellers.

GO FOR IT FELLAS AND FINE THE FOOLS TO THE MAX.
AnswerID: 407111

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 16:16

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 16:16
Yeah, my father was a Commonwealth Vet and when I was a kid I spent a lot of school holiday time with him in WA while he travelled to different agricultural areas and abbatoirs. Funny how vets also are responsible for many agriculture products as well as the animal industry. Any way, I grew up with a very healthy appreciation of the need to protect our primary industries from disease and I am all in favour of whatever it takes in this area.
FollowupID: 676924

Follow Up By: Tenpounder (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 16:55

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 16:55
Yes,and remember this includes going East from Adelaide into the SA Riverland, such as at Swan Reach. We had to ditch some BEAUTIFUL tomatoes a while back, and my wife has NEVER forgotten!!
FollowupID: 676938

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 17:12

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 17:12
Fruit fly was also reported as in Mildura not so long ago.

We lost our tomatoes as we didn't realise that the Riverlands Exclusion Zone is subdivided at the SA border. We got rid of all our fresh produce coming into the zone from the East, and re-purchased at Hay, once inside the zone. There was nothing on the web sites i researched to indicate this state border division, otherwise i would have had a pre-border cook-up. We were not alone in losing produce which we thought safe to transport within the Riverlands Exclusion Zone.

I am of course an ardent supported of quarantine zones to protect our primary industries.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 407121

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 17:50

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 17:50
The lack of consistency between the info posted on websites, in brochures etc and what actually happens on the ground works against effective compliance. If the departments involved were really concerned about protecting farmers against fruit fly or disease outbreaks they would sort out these issues.

To get compliance you need co-operation from the travelling public (not cynicism). To get co-operation you need policies that make sense; that are communicated clearly and that are consistent with what is actually in place in terms of inspection.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 676954

Follow Up By: Member - Ups and Downs - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 20:04

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 20:04
Val,

Come on, get real - you want all of that from a Government department?

Paul
FollowupID: 676988

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce T (SA) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 13:00

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 13:00
We passed through the fruit fly block at Oodlawirra yesterday and were given a handbook which lists all the information needed for every state. It is great. We had the NSW pamphlets from a couple of years ago and used them when passing into the zone near Broken Hill.

We have found that if we tell the inspectors what we have they will always tell us what they have to take. Yesterday it was an onion, but in NSW having an onion was okay.

We don't have a problem with this as it is important.
FollowupID: 677097

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 20:30

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 20:30
Hi All. I live on the South Coast of NSW and have noticed an abundance of fruit fly this summer. When I open my fruit box at work for lunch there are a dozen or more tiny little flys seem to appear from nowhere (1 to 2mm long) Noticed them around the bin as well. Just sprayed them with mortien but what would be the better way to eradicate them. Bob.

AnswerID: 407156

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 20:59

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 20:59
Bob, I am no expert on this and I think you should contact your local Dept of Agriculture.
But, there are quite a lot of small flies and the first thing you need to do is get them identified so you are sure that you really are dealing with fruit fly.
If they are fruit fly, I don't think the following will eradicate them, but it can help to protect your garden. They are attracted to bright yellow (well some types of them are anyway, not sure whether it is true for all types). Tie lots of yellow cards, about 3inches by 3inches, cated with honey around the garden bed where you have things you want to protect. They seem to go for these first and then stick on them. I used this with some success in Alice Springs when my capsicums were ravaged by the local fruit fly up there. No idea whether or not it will work in other areas.

And a message for John. What you say is true, but like all such issues, it is a balancing act with what governments think the public are prepared to pay in taxes for a particular service . What do you reckon permanent 24 hour per day checking stations on all access roads to the fruit growing areas might cost taxpayers? Just how much info do you think the public wants to have to deal with all the time? If you were a fruit grower in the Riverland, how much trust would you have in your fellow citizens willingness to always do the right thing so we didn't need checking stations? Are you prepared to to argue for just one government across Australia to ensure we have uniform laws across the country? Why do I doubt that you would accept any of these?
FollowupID: 676999

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 21:04

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 21:04
Bob, I meant to add, there is a good chance that the flies you describe might be vinegar flies. If so, these are harmless and have a noble place in scientific research if you care to follow up on their place in the study of genetics.
FollowupID: 677000

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 21:09

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 21:09
OK. Will try to photograph them and contact the Dept of Agriculture. It was just they were more attracted to the fruit that had me curious. didn't seem to worry about sandwich. Thanks for the advice. Bob.

FollowupID: 677005

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 13:09

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 13:09
The fruit was sweet and they could smell it.

I have always wondered about the effectiveness of the check point system as the flies are not going to stop at any road block they just fly on by so to speak so it seems like a lot of time , money and effort for nothing.

I should add that I don't carry fruit through these zones but it does seem a pointless exercise to look at every vehicle.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 677099

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 13:33

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 13:33
I don't know the range of fruit fly either. If my father was still around I cxould ask hime, it was the sort of stuff he dealt in. By and large he favoured quarantine systems and the Riverland area does, generally, seem to have been kept clean of fruit fly. I'll bet my father is turning in his grave however at the curren Federal Governments decision to resume beef imports.
FollowupID: 677102

Follow Up By: Dasher Des - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 14:47

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 14:47
John, It's not the distance that fruit flies can travel but the Larva(spell) that is carried inside fruit that is the problem. people don't always eat all the fruit or might come across a piece that is starting to rot and throw it out of the car window. If maggots are present, they will hatch and start an outbreak.
A fruit fly outbreak here in the Riverland will be financially disastrous for our local economy.
FollowupID: 677119

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 14:54

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 14:54
Mr P I don't dispute the outbreak and financial ruin situation, but whats to stop a fly buzzing past the check point and laying its eggs on a piece of fallen fruit on someones farm within the restricted zone and so starting an out break from there??

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 677122

Follow Up By: Dasher Des - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 16:53

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 16:53
John, I think the 150k's of surrounding dry mallee would stop all but the most ardent fruit flies from winging it here. LOL
Actually, I believe that their range of activity is less than a kilometer as when thay have an outbreak in Adelaide, the area that they quarantine off is not all that large. When they treat an area, they release thousands of treated male flies that cannot reproduce so that the females cannot be fertilised. It takes about 10 to 12 weeks to treat an area so that it regains fruit fly free status again.
FollowupID: 677150

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 17:13

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 17:13
Now there's a thought. Perhaps Dasher we could also put that post on the recent thread where human population numbers were under discussion.
FollowupID: 677155

Reply By: Member - GREENDOG - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 20:41

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 20:41
I'll be up there tomorrow and Monday carrying dirty linen i'm sure that would be enough to keep the fruit flys away LOL. cheers GREENDOG
AnswerID: 407279

Sponsored Links