Repairs to tyres with sidewall damage

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 22:13
ThreadID: 76557 Views:8058 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Saw an article in the latest Western 4w driver about a mob called WA Tyre Repairers of 33 Morgan Street Cannington. Apparently they are registered to do sidewall repairs to radial tyres. They recommend that repaired tyres only be used on the rear. Now that may be a bit of a hassle at rotation time but better than throwing out a damaged tyre with a lot of tread left.

No I have never needed their services (yet...lol) or have any affiliation

Cheers Pop
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rod W - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 22:35

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 22:35
Yep I've had several sidewall damaged tyres repaired. Took em to me local tyre shop (Diffens) and he sends them off. The repair jobs have never been a problem and I put them front or rear and again has never been a problem.
AnswerID: 407292

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 22:44

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 22:44
Rod, any balance problems??

Cheers Pop
FollowupID: 677209

Follow Up By: Rod W - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 23:05

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 23:05
Nun whatsoever Pop, the tyres I've had repaired are 33x12.5x15's
FollowupID: 677213

Reply By: GerryP - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 23:08

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 23:08
Me too - had 3 repaired after our CSR trip a couple of years ago. Local TyrePower sent them off. Cost about $35 each and no problems whatever. And this was after I plugged them to keep them going.

Cheers
Gerry
AnswerID: 407300

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 23:53

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 23:53
Sounds like a plan, I wonder if they could repair this one for me.

Image Could Not Be Found

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 407310

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 02:52

Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 02:52
I can fix it. A little bit dab of soap and lots of of water. I will keep the rim and you can have the tyre or was that the other way around.

What on earth did you hit?????
FollowupID: 677233

Reply By: Sly&Zed - Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 03:11

Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 03:11
Hmmm, $35 sounds like a bargain. I'd give 'em more just to see the result of their work on this one!

Regards,
Sly
AnswerID: 407315

Follow Up By: Peter Horne [Krakka] - Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 06:18

Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 06:18
Hahahahahaaha, yeah good one. I'd pay to see the repair.
FollowupID: 677234

Reply By: Andrew - Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 10:55

Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 10:55
There are australian standards on tyre repair and they are called up by most states. haven't checked WA.

Sidewall repairs on radials are specifically outlawed by the standard and as I understand this came about due to:
The number of failures of repairs and
The sidewall works so hard that "its a matter of when not if". Quote from one of my instructors.

The info came from the tyre industry and VicRoads

VSI 16 tyre repairs

The other question is where to put the tyre you are worried about.

Testing has shown that the least unsafe place is to put the suspect tyre on the front. If it goes flat (or disitegrates) you develop a massive understeerr problem and difficulty with braking but the vehicle "tends" to go in a straight line while slowing down. You will still have some steering and braking control even if it is compromised.
If a rear tyre goes flat or disintegrates there is a much greater risk of loss of directional stability that can lead to oversteer then wheel dig in and rollover. The loss of directional stability is much faster when a rear goes down as the vehicle is suddenly effectively steering from the rear.

Directional stability is one of the reasons that vehicles have designed in understeer. It is also regarded as safer to hit things head on rather than sideways or rollover because the safety systems are designed that way.

Peter Wherret RIP demonstrated this years ago on his TV show when they used a system that blew a hole in the side wall of the tyre while it was being driven around a corner. They did it for each tyre position to demonstrate the effect and even the test driver couldn't catch the slide caused by the ouside rear being blown.

Of course the stability issue doesn't play as big a role when the vehicle is traveling in a straight line as it does when cornerring. Worst case scenarion is a blowout on the outside rear while cornering hard at speed.

One of the reasons that tubeless tyres are safer that tubes is that they usually go down relatively slowly when punctured whereas tubes lose the pressure very rapidly. (Of course this doesn't account for rocks taking out sidewalls)

What does it all mean?

best tyres on the rear for stability.
Save your repaired tyres for true offroad or low speed work so that if (when?) it fails you are going slowly enough for it not to cause problems.
If you do get caught by the cops with repaired sidewalls don't be surprised if they ground you.

regards

A
AnswerID: 407358

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 11:14

Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 11:14
The dynamics that can cause a roll-over have not changed but tire technology and repair of same has improved not necessarily in leaps and bounds but to the extent that the 'standards' regulations need an upgrade , some regulations concerning tires have not been reviewed /or upgraded since Peter Wherret was still in the closet as a cross dresser. [ no offence intended to those who feel the need to cross dress].
FollowupID: 677269

Follow Up By: Andrew - Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 11:49

Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 11:49
Unisex clothing has solved my dressing problem. LOL and no offence intended.

I guess if the standards no longer represent the state of the art, then it only comes down to a legal liability problem. If some one got hurt who would have to prove the standard was inadequate and what you did was acceptable. I would think it is now down to those who say thay can be repaired to put their case to the standards committee or at the very least publish their reasoning so it can be analysed.

I agree that standards don't always (ever) stay up with the latest technologies but they do provide a "safe" position that consumers etc are supposed to be able to rely on. Going beyond the standards places the liability on the users shoulders and most people can't access enough information to weigh all the risks.

Having said that I would still rather have a repaired tyre to crawl out of the bush on rather than no tyre at all.

The other part of the issue is telling the "good" repairs from the "bad" ones..

regards

A
FollowupID: 677275

Follow Up By: Rod W - Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 12:06

Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 12:06
I just knew we'd get one of these, someone coming and saying you can't do bit.
FollowupID: 677277

Follow Up By: Andrew - Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 13:22

Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 13:22
Hi Rod

Don't think I said you can't do it. I just tried to show the implications and issues if you do.

I don't pretend to have all the answers, but I do like to get people thinking instead of just repeating what the bloke down the road said. comes from 40 years in the automotive and road safety industries and dealing with what happens when it all goes wrong.

I'm sorry if you thought it was negative, it wasn't meant to be.

regards

A
FollowupID: 677295

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 16:19

Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 16:19
hi all
another main reason that repairing tyre side wall damageisnt done very often

is that the tyre companies would much rather sell you another new tyre
after all is'nt that why they are in the business

i have had 3 seperate sidewall repairs done over the years on 4wd tyres and ran the tyres without any problems until worn out in each situation and had no balance problems either
so it's nothing new
FollowupID: 677322

Reply By: Barra-2 - Saturday, Mar 06, 2010 at 08:40

Saturday, Mar 06, 2010 at 08:40
Thanks for the info, this one is used as the 2nd spare tyre for my off road trailer, so I'll be getting it repaired now. It still holds air pressure, but for the cost of what you have said here it's worth getting it fixed.

Cooper STT285/75/16

AnswerID: 407482

Sponsored Links