Iridium phone import

Assuming that Iridium phones are the same around the world, I have imported a 9505a from the USA which I bought through ebay. I inserted my pre-paid Telstra SIM card, which is said to have International roaming activated, but the Iridium phone doesnt recognise the SIM card and asks for a card to be inserted. What is wrong?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 12:42

Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 12:42
Is it a 3G sim card? An old GSM won't do.

Maybe it needs to be a post paid card.

Bob
AnswerID: 407369

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 17:42

Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 17:42
Any working card will be recognised - it just won't be accepted for Registration on the Iridium network.

I have an old SIM card that won't be recognised on teh Telstra network - but it's still accepted as a SIM card in my 9505.
FollowupID: 677337

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (WA) - Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 12:55

Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 12:55
As far as I know pre-paid SIM cards will not work.
The SIM must be on a plan and have Global Roaming activated - I use a plan / GR activated Next G SIM in an Iridium 9555 and it also works in my friends 9505a.

Have you tried the SIM in another Iridium phone? Or a plan / GR activated SIM in the phone you have purchased?

Leachy
AnswerID: 407374

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 13:30

Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 13:30
Pre-paid will definitely not work... must be on some sort of plan with global roaming activated.
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 407378

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 16:06

Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 16:06
There's your problem: "I inserted my pre-paid Telstra SIM card,"

The card can be either GSM or 3G or whichever "G" Telstra flogs.

It must also have International Roaming enabled but definitely cannot be prepaid.

The pin pattern on the cards appears to be quite important to an Iridium too.

See this photo,

The top and middle SIM's in this photo are both Telstra GSM's on a plan. The bottom SIM is a clone of the top SIM.

Top and bottom will both work in my 9505A, the middle will not. It causes a bad SIM error on the 9595A.

All three SIM's will work in the two ordinary Nokia handsets I have here, one GSM, the other 3G.

There are SIM's and there are SIM's but the one you put into an Iridium handset must be Telstra and be on a plan. Definitely not prepaid.

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 407397

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 17:48

Friday, Mar 05, 2010 at 17:48
If it asks for a card to be inserted, you have an electrical SIM or SIM socket problem. If someone's been careless inserting SIMs the socket could be broken - they're very fragile and are often sold as spare parts.

Try another SIM - ANY SIM. Unless the card is damaged or the wrong pattern it will be recognised by the phone.

To be registered on the Iridium Network it must be Postpaid etc. but that happens later in the process.
AnswerID: 407416

Sponsored Links