GPS: Magellan Triton

Hiya,
Thinking of getting the above, are the 1500 good or is there another one that is better?

We will only be going on small trips at present.

Thanks in advance.

Nat
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 08:08

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 08:08
Nat, what will you use it for? If it is for hiking etc I would say they are ok. You will need the additional DiscoverAus package to make it useful though.

I have had a meridian colour and Explorist XL which in their time were great. The big BUT however is that their after sales service is terrible in several ways. The main issue is that they seem to replace the hardware frequently then drop map support for the obsolete products quickly. Try to order any maps for a meridian, which was their flagship product only about 2 years ago.

The accuracy and detal of the maps ( discoveraus) are great. I haven;t found a track anywhere in Australia that isn't in it. But there is one big bug that they say they can't fix. The base maps are done in the US, but the detail maps are done by the Australian distributor. There is a crossover between the two at the 2.5km and 5km scale in the unit. You use all detail at these scales and they are the most useful when driving. Here is the killer. A support guy from Next Destination said that Magellan has been bought and getting out of the recreational GPS business as it is too small.

Food for thought.
AnswerID: 407590

Follow Up By: warfer69 - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 10:07

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 10:07
They hav updated the mapping for XL since it was first made...Discoveraus street by street original mapping was an embarrassment,pathetic,havnt bought the lastest,but the Discover Aus Topo mapping is the best available from what i hav experienced and seen on other diff makes of gps...

Cheers
FollowupID: 677531

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 10:32

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 10:32
Magellan is apparently now owned by" Mio Technology Corporation a subsidiary of Mitac Int'l Corp., a Taiwanese electronics maker that manufactures and markets Personal Navigation Devices (PNDs). PND with digital TV and navigation software for PND and Smartphone. It sells products under the "Navman" and "Mio" brands"

No idea of the implications of this with respect to continued support/manufacture of Magellan handheld ("recreational") gps units..though makes you wonder why they would buy it in the first place if getting out of the business they do was the plan.

Magellan eXplorists superceded Meridians in ~2004/2005...I suppose support has to stop somewhere, though making the latest maps still suitable for this model would be easy, though possibly not a good business decision if selling new GPS units was your main bread winner.

One good thing about the Triton 1500 is that you can, with little effort, run OziExplorerCe on it. I have Magellan MobileMapper 6 which is basically a Triton 2000 in disguise on which I ran OziCe for a few years. Very reliable unit. One thing I dont like about the new Tritons is the fact you can only use it with their GPS Mapping software (VantagePoint) ie upload/download data - no big deal as you can export and import data in other formats easily but a slow old dog of a program with limited maps (unless you convert you own).

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 677533

Sponsored Links