Haymen Reece Electric Brakes

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 09:32
ThreadID: 76628 Views:2733 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Our caravan brakes are locking up & not releasing immediatley after brake pedal is lifted. A mechanic in Hughenden has looked at the brake assemblies and cannot find a reason. Has anyone had a similar problem or can you give any advice. The mechanics in Hughenden say they do nor know too much about these systems.
Many thanks
PedroM
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cruiser 2091 - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 11:01

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 11:01
Hi Peter.
I would jack the van up and while the brakes are applied I would disconnect the plug from van to car.

If the van brakes still don't release then the problem is in the van brakes. Conversely if the brakes do release OK then the problem is in the electrics.

This should be a good starting point.
AnswerID: 407621

Reply By: Roughasguts - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 11:02

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 11:02
Sounds like there getting a full 12 volt on application of the brakes.
Is it an inertia brake controler that can be adjusted, how is the controller mounted it should be mounted in a certain position to work properly.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 407622

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 11:07

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 11:07
Your post heading says HR elec brakes

Are you referring to the brakes which are usually ALKO or the controller which

can be several makes the best of which is Tekonsha Prodigy or P3

Do as stated above to isolate the problem
AnswerID: 407624

Reply By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 14:54

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 14:54
The Hayman Reese brake controller is not a motion sensing controller, but a 'time delay' type... This type of controller can be inclined to behave in the manner you've described :(

Make sure that the shoes are correctly adjusted, and back off the controller voltage output so that it's just short of lock-up, and see how ya go with that ;-)

:)

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 407662

Reply By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 11:13

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 11:13
Thank you all. The problem was with the electrics.
Unfortunately I was unable to locate the plug to disconnect from the van.
We drove very slowly to Charters Towers (5 hours to cover 230k's) and yesterday the Auto Electrician found that the Hayman Reece unit was locking on every now and again. He has replaced it an had placed a plug under the dash between the controller and brake pedal so that I can disconnect if in the unlikely event this problem raises its head again.
The tow vehicle is now being checked as it was overheating on the way back.
Once again thank you all, for your replies. It was great to know your not alone out on the track. Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday
Regards
PeteM
AnswerID: 408022

Sponsored Links