80 series heater hose.

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 10:52
ThreadID: 76629 Views:5403 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
My petrol 80 series has just turned over 300,000 ks. I have had the vehicle since new and it's still in good condition.

I have always been concerned however about the hose that goes from the heater valve to the rear of the engine below the manifold. This hose seems almost impossible to get at and for that reason I am worried that if it fails I will be in deep trouble.

So as a preventative maintenance measure I feel it should be replaced before it fails.

Does anyone have experience replacing this hose? If so any tips?

On the other hand maybe these hose don't have a history of failure. I have asked at Toyota and they say they haven't sold many of those hoses and the mechanic has never changed one.

I do change the coolant every 2 years which I believe aids the longevity of hoses.

I would have simply changed it ages ago to be safe had I been able to get at it. I am not opposed to having a mechanic do the work if necessary but the ones I spoke to shy away from it because of the position.

I really would appreciate any advice, regards Cruiser.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 11:12

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 11:12
Gday Cruiser,
Funny you mention that little hose......
I am about to go out to the shed and replace mine..... again!
The reason I say again is......a couple of weeks ago the Mrs pulled up in the shed after a trip to town buying supplies for our trip to Palm Valley we were planing in the morning.
She pulls up in the shed and a puddle of water starts to appear on the floor accompanied by the smell of steam...BUGGER!!!!
Yep...that little heater hose at the back of your engine had a hole.........nothing open that night and 4 car loads of people rolling up at my house in the morning.
I managed to find an old one on a wreck and replace it but it was pretty old and perished....I got it on and it has lasted a few weeks, but today Im going to replace it with a new piece.
Trust me.......there isnt an easy way to do it.......just get in and do it. And its going to be a lot easier on a cool motor with a beer in hand and plenty of time to do it in that a steaming hot motor on the edge of the road.
So YES!!! Replace it!!!

LOL

Cheres
Hairy
AnswerID: 407626

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 12:38

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 12:38
Aaarrghhhh...... But its done! Yippeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It took an hour, a bit of bark missing and sprung a few leaks (from me), but its done.

A couple of tips...

Undo the 90 degree hose at the top and pivot 180 degrees out of the way.

Undo the top bracket of the steel hose (its the only one you can get to).

You should be able to get it ( the new hose) off and on from there.

Spend a bit of time putting your hose clamps in positions easy to get too latter.

I used those spring hose clamps you squash up with pliers so you can do the job with one hand....you can hardly get two hands in there and if you do you cant see JACK>

I forgot I had three hose claps on mine because I didnt like my original replacement hose, so I spent 10 mins fighting with it.
Once I had a better feel and took the 3rd clamp off it fell off.

...its not as bad a job as it looks as long as you think about it and dont spit the dummy and just start reefing at things.

Good Luck
Hairy
FollowupID: 677548

Reply By: Falco80 - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 11:50

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 11:50
Hi mate, I'd recommend replacing it before it fails. It is in a tight spot, but it's do-able with some patience and swearing! Having small midget hands would be an advantage.
Check out this write-up l did on mine on another forum.

1FZ-FE Pesky heater-hose replacement
AnswerID: 407633

Follow Up By: Gazal Champion - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 19:42

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 19:42
Hi Falcon 80, read your post on Offroad 80s but you didn't say where you got your silicone hose and clamps from. I would appreciate that info if available please.
Many thanks, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 677610

Follow Up By: Falco80 - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 20:17

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 20:17
Hi Bruce, I bought the hoses from the US here: 1FZFEPHH.com
The yanks only got petrol powered 80's so they are the all-knowledgeable ones when it comes to the 4.5L petrol motor. I don't have that 80 any more, but l bought the silicon hoses for longevity and cause they looked cool. If l was to do it again l would just buy some decent 'gates' heater hose and use that - probably a bit cheaper.
It was a hard hose to replace, but do it once and do it right l say!
FollowupID: 677619

Reply By: mechpete - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 12:16

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 12:16
much easier to replace it at home when you have all the tools
and ya not stuck on the side of the road . my prefrence is to replace all the hard to get at hoses before they are buggered and keep the good second hand ones as spares and position all the clamps so you can get a screw driver to them easier . cos the manufacturer doesn,t think of that ,
chers mechpete
AnswerID: 407638

Reply By: Fab72 - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 12:46

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 12:46
There's a great tool to make the job easier. Looks like a screw driver but has a flexible sprung steel shaft. Super flexible and makes relatively easy work of the job.
Failing that, use a 1/4 inch drive socket set with a universal joint on the end. It may pay for you to wrap a bit of electrical tape around the uni joint just to make it less flexible otherwise you'll be forever dropping off the worm drive clamp.
AnswerID: 407641

Reply By: Cruiser 2091 - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 16:55

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 16:55
Thanks to everyone who replied.

At 14 years old, 300,000 ks and original hose it seems like I have got a good run out of mine. Maybe it will last forever or on the other hand it may be nearing it's use by date.

Anyway is the hose able to be changed without removing things like the manifold, starter motor etc.

I will put a new water pump on while I am at it but it is this hose that has got me stumped.

Apart from 5000 K services the only parts that have been replaced during the life of the vehicle is a radiator several years ago and last week a set of brake rotors.

Is it any wonder the 80 series has such a good reputation!!!
AnswerID: 407674

Reply By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 16:55

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 16:55
I have replaced all my heater hoses and put on the clamps with a hex type screw top as well as the normal slot in them.
That way you can use either a small socket or a screwdriver to tighten it up.
Obviously have all the clamps facing up or in a position easy to get a tool onto without having to get under the car if possible.

Many people replace their radiator hoses regularly, but forget about the deterioration of the same type of hose for the heater.

I also had to improvise with some of my heater hoses and use a universal type in a couple of places. My vehicle is 23 years old and Toyota don't list some of the hoses anymore. The ones they do list cost only marginally less than an ounce of gold, but some of them, you have to go genuine.

As others say, it's easier to do the job at home.
Another thing about the heater hose is that you can block them off or bypass them in a lot of circumstances if they burst.
My worry was that if they burst unexpectedly, will I notice it in time to save cooking the motor.

I have a low water alarm, but better to be safe than sorry.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 407675

Follow Up By: Cruiser 2091 - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 17:39

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 17:39
Ahh but Dave this particular hose on the 80 series is so so much different than earlier models. My previous Cruiser was a 60 series and before that an FJ40, those hoses were a breeze to fit but did need to be replaced about every three years.

There must be a huge advance in the rubber compounds used in todays hoses or the regular use of correct coolant enables the hoses to last a great deal longer. Because as I said this hose has been on my vehicle since new (14 years) and still seems OK.

Thanks for your reply
FollowupID: 677583

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 21:47

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 21:47
Do what we do and carry hose joiners so you can bypass the heater if need be.
AnswerID: 407727

Follow Up By: Cruiser 2091 - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 07:18

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 07:18
Hi olcoolone.
If you also have an 80 series then don't rely on your hose joiners should this hose fail because it is connected to the engine. It is at this point on the engine that is hard to get at and the hose is only about 2 1/2 inches long.
best regards.
FollowupID: 677677

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 22:17

Sunday, Mar 07, 2010 at 22:17
Funny this is posted today. Came across a fella today that had the same problem while picnicking with his family. Something to think about doing for my self i think, I just replaced two air hoses Friday $195 just for the parts on our cheapy 4.5 that's done 340,000km.
AnswerID: 407739

Sponsored Links