St George Flood

Submitted: Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 07:39
ThreadID: 76664 Views:3428 Replies:7 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
Here is a short clip that a local has put together of pics of the Flood in St George.
The water is slowly receeding and additional SES personnel have been flown in to allow the local SES members to get some rest.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rockape - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 07:55

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 07:55
Kev,
thanks for that,it has been really well put together

Have a good one and keep your feet dry
AnswerID: 407780

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 08:00

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 08:00
Dirranbandi is the next in line for the flood water, Thallon has survived the night from what I can find out.

There is still a heap of water flowing downstream. There is nearly 1.4m of water over the weir here in Chinchilla now, there was only 1m at 3pm yesterday. If we get more rain this week then there will be parts of Chinchilla that will go under :(

It is good to know the North QLD Coast SES is down helping out as there was a crew of about 10 from St George who went up there when the cyclone hit :)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 677680

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 16:36

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 16:36
North Qld Coast SES?? LOL Make up your mind Kev :)

Flew down on the weekend for a scheduled workshop at Warwick....rained when we needed to go to the cliffs ;) As close as us Central guys have got as far as i know.

Thanks for the updates.

Andrew
FollowupID: 677794

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 16:42

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 16:42
There is Mackay and Bundaberg crew from what I have been told.

Will double check tonight for ya ;)

The Bridge just below the Chinchilla weir is close to going under now as well :)

Even more water headed down south.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 677796

Reply By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 09:08

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 09:08
The company i work for has a large number of sites accross QLD and Aus and currently we are working on a major Telstra incident with 10 of our sites in QLD off the network. Trying to get hold of Telstra has been very difficult due to a huge number of calls they are receiving. Sites down are all located on the NE coast by the looks of it. You guys are seriously getting smashed up there. Hope it settles down soon.
AnswerID: 407794

Reply By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 09:18

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 09:18
Thanks for that Kev, hope your folks are OK too.

How is that area where we had the gathering, I couldn't recognise some of the pics.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 407799

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 10:20

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 10:20
Dave,

No water got to where we stayed for the gathering. Although the toilet block next to the dam wall is totally under water and the info shelter above the carpark near those toilets are also partly submerged.

At the Visitor Info Centre the picnic tables on the river bank close to the road have water up to the roof.

The Riversands Winery, I think missed being inudated with water but was totally isolated.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 677699

Follow Up By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 11:19

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 11:19
I am sure all of us who went to the gathering can relate to all of that now Kev.

Wouldn't that be a shame to be isolated in the winery??????????

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 677707

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 11:11

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 11:11
Hi Kev
Thanks for that footage. Last night on the news that were advising people to keep out of the water, for the hidden dangers and when speaking to a couple of young boys that were playing in the water, one of the boys said his dog was bitten and died from a snake in the water earlier that day.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 407835

Reply By: Member No 1- Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 11:56

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 11:56
where is all this water going to end up?
AnswerID: 407842

Follow Up By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 12:08

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 12:08
The residents of Bourke can expect to get their feet wet in the very near future ;-)

After that (in about 2 or 3 months), you may even get to see a bit of it.......

:)

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 677728

Follow Up By: Member - Michael O (NSW) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 20:59

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 20:59
Cubbie Station gets a lot of it..............
FollowupID: 677847

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 21:02

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 21:02
Cubbie Station is Full ;)

So quit WHINGING and look at how much water all the NSW irrigators use in comparison to all the QLD ones.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 677849

Follow Up By: Member - Michael O (NSW) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 21:17

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 21:17
If Cubbie is now full, then my statement stands.

And it wasn't a whinge,

It was an answer to Member No 1's question.
FollowupID: 677852

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 21:21

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 21:21
Cubbie was 50% full before this flood even occurred so the amount of water they took is minimal compared to the amount of water that is heading downstream. The river is in full flow from as far north as Warwick all the irrigators that can harvest water have done so and this water should make it to SA

Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 677853

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 06:54

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 06:54
are you telling me Qld, NSW and Vic aint going to pinch it all?

sounds like good news non the less
FollowupID: 677895

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 07:23

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 07:23
I think NSW should fill the Menindee Lakes which shouldn't take long with the amount of water flowing south. My calcs are based only on the Balonne/Condamine river catchment. As there is also more water heading south in the Warrego River.

I think there will be a good flow downstream for a few months yet.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 677896

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 19:14

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 19:14
Just heard that Cubbie Station if empty would have taken only 6% of what is estimated to be flowing past it. Therefore if they could harvest 400GL there would be a total of about 6665GL of water estimated to be flowing down the Condamine/Maranoa/Balonne river system into NSW.

I wonder how much is heading down the Warrego River??

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 678013

Follow Up By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 20:36

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 20:36
Aaand,,,,,

What is flowing past Cubbie Station is only a fraction of the total water flowing out of Q'ld at the moment...

In addition to the Condamine /Balonne system, and the Warrego R already mentioned, there is also the Weir / Moonie / Macintyre system feeding into the Barwon (which becomes the Darling R when it and the Ballone meet the Warrego near Bourke)....

People need to arm themselves with some FACTS before they make stupid comments about Cubbie Station pinchin' all the water!!
(and Cubbie is but one of many irrigators both north and south of the border)....

There's a lotta water headed south, folks....

:)

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 678026

Reply By: Member - Vince B (NSW) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 15:06

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 15:06
Thanks for the clip Kev.

How long before your mum & sister get to see each other?

Cheers.
Vince
AnswerID: 407866

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 15:11

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 15:11
Probably another week LOL

Dad made it home last night and was flown into Dirranbandi this afternoon for the duration of the water rise then he is off to Hebel till the peak passes there as well.

Was good to see he made it onto the Channel Nine news last night in regards to the house out of Thallon that was saved.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 677771

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 18:13

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 18:13
Can't attach this clip as it isn't one of the 2 set up for ease of insertion ;)

So here is the Link

For those who attended the St george Gathering Myall Plains is the property slightly to the north of the Nindigully pub on the Eastern Side of the Carnarvon highway.

Enjoy

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 407910

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 13:55

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 13:55
hi sir kev and darkie

thanks for the view of a very serious deluge over such an anormous area nature is certainly a force to be reckoned with

i remember reading about a big dust storm at the st george eo gathering someone up above heard the complaints and so huey has no doubt let it rip down as it is with nature it's all or nothing

my thoughts go out to all those who will have to be patient and wait for it to drain away and subside hopefully without an immediate follow up
the clean up will take a long time and cause a lot of heart ache to a lot of genuine locals
cheers to all and good luck
FollowupID: 677952

Follow Up By: Member - xrdave (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 07:27

Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 07:27
Hey Kev, i like that last clip ,not bad.
How bad are the mozzies?

Dave.
FollowupID: 678277

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 07:31

Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 07:31
Dave,

The mozzies are the size of 737's here LOL

I am waiting for the sandflies to arrive as well. I am not really looking forward to going to St George next weekend because of them

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 678278

Sponsored Links