Oodnadatta Track Feedback

Hi All. New member on the site. Thanks for all your fantastic info, so usefull.
I am planning to ride with my wife on a BMW 1200GS the Oodnadatta track early may. If anybody as information or tips about that time of the track conditions?
Is it really challenging? How many days will you recomand for that trip?
Thanks in advance for your help
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 13:08

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 13:08
With dry conditions leading up to your trip, the graders will be out at the end of summer, polishing up the road for the tourist season. A track in name only, much of it is often very smooth (with the odd stony section, mainly at the lower end). I met some serious dirt bikers up there a few years back and they had been doing 140kph etc. on the way up from Marree - seemed reckless to me, but does indicate the surface I guess. Couple of pics of that road on my site........... (roads section).

[ http://users.picknowl.com.au/~darian/ ]
AnswerID: 407851

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 13:14

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 13:14
Should have said re things to see up there - there are several books on that route, plus the Treks section here.... also Westprint Heritage Maps have a good map with lots of info on the back re features en-route. My guess would be that 4 days would be plenty for a good appreciation of that road and it's feautures (but you'll probably want to go back and do it again at some stage :-o).
FollowupID: 677750

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 13:34

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 13:34
Gday
I was there a few years back, just south of William Creek , there was a BMW in a bad way with both riders in a bit of a mess. Be careful.
Murray
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 407853

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 13:34

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 13:34
Track conditions can and do change day to day , A few must see on the track are [ from the Marree end ] are Marree of course or if coming from RoxbyDowns the Borefield track junctions 35 ks east of Curdimurka , heading west spend the time to look at the 'springs' at the Wabma Mound springs conservation park , a short stretch of the legs from the parking area , then of to Coward Springs for a 'spa' and overnight if time permits [ cleanest bush toilets on the track] ; Drinks and dinner /yarns and darts at William Creek make for another good stop , an Hour or so unless wanting to camp o/nite is the Algebuckina bridge , then onto the PinkRoadhouse , good ham/ steakburgers , 210 klm toMarla , big truckstop and a c/van park with a grassed area and basic camp kitchen just right for m/cycle riders.
All up only 620 odd klm , do it in 1 day you 'see' nothing , take 2-3-4 days and smell the'roses'as they say ,
As an adjunct , the last time we did the track the longest stretch / time we did not encounter another vehicle was for 173 klm / 3 hrs.
AnswerID: 407854

Follow Up By: On Patrol & TONI - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 18:24

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 18:24
Also the Peake telegraph station, a 16 km diversion 32km south of the Algebuckina bridge. well worth the effort.
Colin.
FollowupID: 677818

Follow Up By: Pete Jackman (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 14:08

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 14:08
Colin,

That would be an interesting track on a bike - almost the worst corrugations that we saw last year.

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 677953

Reply By: 429mick - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 21:23

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 21:23
Hi,
I rode the Oodnadatta track in August 2008 and also in 2006 on a Honda 650 Dominator. It is not difficult at all, unless there has been some rain. If you take it easy you should be fine, however after rains it can get soft in places either side of Oodnadatta. Last time I came from Finke heading south the day after they reopened the road after rain, and for the mosty part it was pretty good. I did however get bogged two feet off the side of the track after avoiding water across the road, and it turned out the road under the water was quite firm!
One key point though, travel as light as possible. Just because the bike can carry it, doesn't mean you should take it!
Enjoy your ride,
Mick.
AnswerID: 408299

Sponsored Links