Birdsville Track Feedback

Hi, we have been planning a trip of 4 vehicles to do round trip via Broken Hill, White Cliffs, Innamikna up to Birdsville and then south on the Birdsville Track down into the Flinders Rangers and have been watching road conditions closely for past few weeks. Plan on being in these areas from 24th March onwards and starting to get a bit nervous that it wont be possible - is it likely that these closed roads will remain impassible and should we be looking for alternative destinations?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 21:15

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 21:15
Hi Judaz
I am afraid that you will have to postpone your trip until a good few months. The area up there is under water and will take a long time before things are back to normal up there. I know some guys that work for private contractors up in Moomba and they have been told that the place will only be fly in and fly out for around 3 months.


Cheers

Stephen
Roxby Downs Special

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 407939

Reply By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 21:24

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 21:24
All unsealed roads in the West Darling Shire NSW are closed, and many are likely to remain closed for many weeks, if not months before they are assessed and repaired.
Even the main road from Wilcannia to White Cliffs is closed with major damage.

As Stephen says, you might have to postpone that trip for a few months.

I think the Tibooburra - Cameron Corner Rd has been closed for a few weeks now.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 407941

Reply By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 21:45

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 21:45
I was planning a trip a little further north in April and I also think I will have to revise my Plans.
AnswerID: 407947

Reply By: peterll - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 03:06

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 03:06
Have to agree with other replies here. My sources tell me that the track will most likely be closed for the next 4 to 5 weeks. from Mungerannie to Birdsville due to flood waters.

Currently the road is open to 4wd only from Maree to Mungerannie with water over the road at Clayton, Dulkaninna and Ettadunna

Passable for those with some wet road experience.

Hope it helps with your plans

AnswerID: 407987

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (14)