Which side of Patrol to mount Roof Top Tent and awning!!

Submitted: Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 21:21
ThreadID: 76689 Views:8162 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, Looking for some ideas or preferences to which side I mount my new Roof Top Tent, I was going to mount off the rear but i mostly tow a Off Road trailer so I would have to disconnect the trailer to use. So, I realise the tent will fit on boith sides and the Awning on the opposite side so looking for advantages or disadvantages to left or right side mount.. thanks in anticipation.. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 21:35

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 21:35
Hi Michael
If it was me, as I have done for my side awning on my Prado, mount it in the left hand side. By doing it that way, you can use the awning and still have the back door open. In this way you have access to the back of the vehicle without have to walk around the back door when open.

Cheers

Stephen

Image Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 407944

Follow Up By: Effie C (NT) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 23:14

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 23:14
Stephen
Not sure you could fit anything else in the back :))
Live One Day at a Time for Tomorrow May Never Come.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 677879

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 07:58

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 07:58
Hi Effie
When we head bush, we have to be fully self reliant for a month, from safety equipment, recovery equipment, tyre repair and changing gear, to food and water. There is a place for everything and all fits into place quite well. The joys of heading into truly remote areas. This years trip will see an extra 3 tyre carcases for tyre trouble that will be expected.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 677900

Reply By: Cruisevessel - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 21:48

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 21:48
G'day Michael.
I have the ARB Simpson rooftent on my Prado and have it opening to the drivers side as I have a Foxwing awning that opens out to the left hand side and the rear.
When I had it on my old Hilux I had it opening out to the passenger side as there was no awning fitted to the vehicle.
AnswerID: 407950

Reply By: Member - Nolo (Brisbane) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 21:51

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 21:51
Fox Wing awning off passenger and rear so Roof Top Tent off drivers side - all covered! Only downside is in CP stopover where powered site is suited to caravan ie concrete slab. No big deal however.
AnswerID: 407953

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 22:07

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 22:07
Thanks everyone, I seemed logical to have the awning on the pasenger side. And Steve, The Prado door opening thing, makes sense!! Thanks Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

AnswerID: 407955

Reply By: Member - Royce- Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 22:58

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 22:58
When you pull up beside the road and need protection from the sun for a while.... it's not a good idea to have the awning on the road.

So if you are going to have both a tent and an awning and they need to have tent on one side and awning on the other..... then passenger side for awning.
AnswerID: 407970

Reply By: Effie C (NT) - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 23:12

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 23:12
Michael
We used to have our tent mounted to the passenger side (rodeo dual cab) and found this was OK except when I had to rely on others (the better half) being able to work out if there was enough room to put the tent out and dodge all those camping area hazards; SO I have now mounted it to open to the drivers side (prado) therefore removing all blame from others if the tent does not fit / suit the camping area we are in except myself.
Live One Day at a Time for Tomorrow May Never Come.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 407974

Reply By: Voxson - Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 23:42

Monday, Mar 08, 2010 at 23:42
Awning better on passenger side because of above reasons and also the wind noise from it when your driving with the window down.
AnswerID: 407977

Reply By: Wizard1 - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 10:10

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 10:10
I find it incedible that we are seeing post about what side to mount to an awning.

Is that because you are unable to make ytour own informed decisions?

Is it that you need the massed approval of other forum members?

Is it to make sure you have your fitted the way everyone else does?

When I fitted mine it was a no brainer, but I came up with the solution all by myself, had few criteria which sealed the plan. Not sure how I managed to do that without consulting the Gods of the Forum.

Why can't we manage to work simple things out for ourselves any more based on our own needs and
AnswerID: 408017

Follow Up By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 10:34

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 10:34
Not everyone is as awesome as you

What's wrong with getting opinions on what works best?
FollowupID: 677924

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 17:41

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 17:41
Wizard 1 .. You are a frigging genius.. I dont know why you are on this site..

Someone mentioned about Caravan park slabs.. and Prado door the wind noise.... Its worth the ask to get info from others who have had to stuff around with there gear to get it right. I actually asked for a particular reason, I am making my own custom roof bars to hold the tent and i want to make a quick dissconect setup for the Awning.... So once made and powder coated, it will be too late to change.. So Wizard 1, I do my own thing, i dont belong to a club and dont need mass approval to do anything..and we usually travel alone. So What sort of vehicle do you have and maybe you can fill us all in on what you are all about.. we are waiting... Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 677993

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 14:41

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 14:41
G'day Michael,

I can see you have already made your decision and a further supporting argument for you is that most camper trailers etc open that way as well. Unlike mine which opens to the right and can be a real pain in a van park where they expect the opposite - you know don't park on the slab please etc.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 408064

Sponsored Links