just bought a troopy 75 series 1998 4.2D

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 23:06
ThreadID: 7671 Views:2552 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
glenno loves it , kids love it , wife hates it . can anyone advise me on towing points for this troopy . it has a toyota towbar on the back but no tow points . i rang the local towbar manufacturer and he said he could put on a tow hitch yor $350 bucks , seems a bit expensive to me but i would like to do it right . any one know any diffrent rated way of towing (snatch straping). also on the front i have an arb bullbar with a warn high mount winch and no rated towing point . what do i need to buy , just a rated tow hook i suppose . where do i put it . my father has a hj60 with a tow hook on the bullbar , and i have seen what happens on (all aussie adventures). any help and hints would be appreciated . PS , i have never owned a 4wd before but the troopy seemed to be the only real 4wd. (:
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John - Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 23:18

Tuesday, Oct 07, 2003 at 23:18
Glenno great vehicle,
My advise about the wife, simple. Get a new one, one that likes troopy's.

I would talk to ARB or simmilar who can have a look and advise on the best fixing points suited to your vehicle.

I just had ARB Northern here in Melbourne look at my 78 series and it's a problem to fit any hooks to this model. Bottom line no provision made by Mr Toyota for same.
I never had a look at my 75 series when I had it so I do not know if they are in the same boat. May be others can advise.
Let me know how you go.
Enjoy
Regards
John
AnswerID: 33071

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 08:19

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 08:19
I think his first idea of towing her sounds easier.Bob
FollowupID: 23642

Reply By: TonyT - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 10:17

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 10:17
Struth- and here I am with a Troopy at the top of the 2/hand shopping list- Jackaroo ('92) auto in for "diagnostic" check up after warning light came on- I'm just waiting for results and thinking the worst I guess- Glenno what are the reasons she doesn't like it? if it's the comfort thing I won't be giving in on that one (I think) - thanks for any info. TonyT
AnswerID: 33103

Follow Up By: Donna - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 15:44

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 15:44
Tony, being the wifey of this outfit, and it sounds like you want the wifes perspective, go for it full throttle!! The Troopy is the best thing we have spent out money on. We have had a 75 series for 6 years and have just bought a 78 series (want to buy a 75 series!!!) Don't worry at all about the comfort thing. You get used to the big space up front and if you have hard suspension you get used to boucing around. Loads of leg room and loads of carrying room. My main concern at first was parking her but it is surprising how easy she is to maneuver. Take the plunge you will not regret it!! Happy camping.

Donna
FollowupID: 23809

Reply By: flappan - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 15:41

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 15:41
Is the towbar a hitch reciever style . . . or a flat one . . .
AnswerID: 33135

Reply By: ross - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 19:30

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 19:30
If your wife finds it uncomfortable why not throw the lounge suite and coffee table up the back and tell her she looks like granma out of the beverly hillbillies lol
AnswerID: 33165

Reply By: glenno - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 20:58

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 20:58
ok i was a bit unfair on the wife . the only thing she didnt like about it was the side facing seats in the back because they are dangerous with only lap belts , and as we have 2 small children i would not put them in these . this has been solved by taking out the 2 forward front facing seats and replacing them with an aftermarket bench seat . the 2 outside seats have retractable shoulder belts (these are anchored in between the 2 pairs of sliding windows) . the middle one has lap only belt but a harness point is there if i want to use it . the rear side facing seats are there still if needed . the 2 front seats were taken out and a pair of ford falcon bucket seats were put in . (PS,all this was done properly and has been complianced and now has comfortable seating for 9 ) . kids or adults can get in to the bench seat in between the 2 front buckets , just watch out for your head on the overhead console . (this suits me at the moment and if i wanted a diffrent 4wd with 4 doors i would have bought one ) .
AnswerID: 33177

Reply By: glenno - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 21:04

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 21:04
It's the wife here. It is just a bit hard to actually get in the vehicle - I am a bit short.

AnswerID: 33180

Follow Up By: Donna - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 15:33

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 15:33
You are right about the height thing (being a shorty also), but after your first night out in her you seem to float up from then on. So much room (we sleep in the back) and she will go anywhere, and she has been everywhere! We have a 75 and 78 series (in the process of selling the 75) and LOVE them to death. Wouldn't own anything else.

Donna
FollowupID: 23807

Reply By: trikidiki - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 07:05

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 07:05
Glenno,
If you have an A.R.B. bullbar with a High Mount winch it should have tow eyes on it.
Dick.
AnswerID: 33207

Reply By: glenno - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 07:44

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 07:44
ok i probably didnt explain myself properly . i will mainly be sand driving , so if i get bogged , where on the front of my vehicle do i connect the snatch strap (assuming there is another vehicle) . i have a arb bullbar with a warn high mount winch . PS. thank you for your responses .
AnswerID: 33297

Follow Up By: Warpig - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 17:10

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 17:10
All ARB winch-rated bullbars that I've seen have two reinforced tabs underneath the bullbar that are designed to be used for both winching / towing and jacking with a high-lift and ARB adaptor. They are made from the same steel as the bullbar (your bullbar IS steel, isn't it?), and have a ring reinforcement welded or pressed to them. They are located under each edge of the central section of the bullbar. They don't really look up to the job at all, but we've managed to split an ARB high-lift adaptor attached to one, so they might be up to the job.

FollowupID: 24241

Sponsored Links