Bradshaw sites along the GRR

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 16:47
ThreadID: 76713 Views:3073 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Mates doing the Kimberley in May and is chasing locations of Bradshaw Art sites. He's not interested in Wadjina sites. Any assistance greatly appreciated.

I've told him about the ones along the creek leading to the falls at the Mitchell Plateau, also at ElQ.

Thanks
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 17:15

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 17:15
Dunc, did you mention the "swimmers" along the track to Mitchell? A little bit harder to find but amazing never the less.

Mick

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 408090

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 20:18

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 20:18
G'day Mick, forgot about them. They're on the left hand side of the creek between Little Mertens and Merten Falls aren't they? We found three galleries on the walk to the Falls.

Kick myself now for also not doing the stuff around the King Edward River crossing. Didn't know at the time.
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 678021

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 18:36

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 18:36
Duncan, there are two big art sites near the King Edward river campsite on the way to the Mitchell Falls. The first is to the left just after you cross the river, the second is on the right 4 or 5 km past the camp. At both there are Bradshaws and Wandjinas together. What I liked about these sites is that you can wander around and do your own discovery work which is much more interesting than just following a path to a fenced in enclosure.
As Mick has mentioned there are Bradshaws along the track into Mitchell Falls. There is a pamphlet that gives directions are the Mitchell Falls camp.
There are also art sites along the Munja (?) track that runs from Mt Elizabeth to Walcott Inlet if it is still open - havent seen them so unsure if there are Bradshaws there.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 408104

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 19:28

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 19:28
There are many excellent Wanjina sites along the Munja Track and some Goin Goin (Bradshaw) sites too. The best way to see them is to do an art tour from Mount Elizabeth. There are also many on Drysdale. Most Goin Goin sites are kept hidden from most visitors.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 678016

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 20:21

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2010 at 20:21
Thanks Val & Peter. My mate Pete had heard about the ones on Drysdale but doesn't know their whereabouts.

Told Pete about the pamphlets and the sites I knew about at the Falls. And just wished I'd known about the stuff at the Edward Rv crossing especially the burial chamber. Hindsight is amazing.
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 678023

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 17:00

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 17:00
Peter_n_Margaret

When I was at Mt Elizabeth a couple of years ago, they were not doing the aboriginal art tours anymore. The land council had stopped them. They were not even meant to tell you where the sites were. They were pretty annoyed about it. Nowhere on their website, is aboriginal art mentioned.

So we went out exploring by ourselves and found heaps of caves with art in them - Bradshaw and recent stuff.

"Most Goin Goin sites are kept hidden from most visitors."

By whom ? Certainly not aboriginals.
Aboriginals would not keep Bradshaws hidden from visitors ? The current aboriginals and their recent ancestors, have disowned the Bradshaws and in the past have tried to disfigure them and paint over them.

Willie.
FollowupID: 678188

Follow Up By: OzTroopy - Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 23:10

Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 23:10
Willie ....

Maybe the fact that a good while back .... a tour from Mt Elizabeth had found that some "traditional" custodians of the land had been painting whatever took their fancy with hardware store paint ... has something to do with keeping everything "hidden".

Have heard that bradshaw art is "rubbish" ... straight from the horses mouth so to speak .....

Interesting that it now has a aboriginal name. "Goin Goin" wonder how far back in time thats been used ???
FollowupID: 678438

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 08:03

Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 08:03
These are quite hideous to see. I have also seen a similar Dulux paint job done on some art in the Little Sandy Desert. I do not think it will happen anymore though.

FollowupID: 678460

Reply By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 17:17

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 17:17
Hi Duncan,

There are quite a few incredible Bradshaw sites at Mitchell falls a couple of which have already been mentioned.

If you go for a walk a few km up the Mitchell R from the falls, sticking to the left hand side (going up), there are a number of fascinating sites. This is a photo from one of them :

[img]
[/img]

See my "profile" for more Bradshaw photos (and others) most of which were taken at various sites in the Kimberley such as the Drysdale NP, Admiralty Gulf, Mt Elizabeth, King Edward River etc

Do not make the mistake of thinking that Bradshaws are all the same. There are many totally different styles.

Cheers,

Willie
AnswerID: 408262

Reply By: wendys - Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 20:52

Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 20:52
Back around 1999-2000, Theda Station used to do tours to Bradshaw sites on the station. They no longer cater for tourists at all, but someone there may have pics. I bought a postcard there that showed some good-looking Bradshaw art. Unfortunately, when we camped there in 2000, it was still too wet to access the sites.
AnswerID: 408461

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (14)