Lake McKenzie to close?

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 08:56
ThreadID: 7673 Views:2130 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone

I have just heard from a friend of mine who just arrived back from Fraser that they are going to close Lake McKenzie on Fraser to vehicle based camping?? Apparently it will be redeveloped to cater primarily for hikers as part of a new network of hiking tracks through the island. Can anyone confirm or deny that??

Does anyone have any thoughts on the merits of this decision?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jo (NSW) - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 14:45

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 14:45
I cant remember it beeing much veichle camping there to begin with?! Main area is for hikers if I remember right, and its mainly day-use amenities.

But if its true, Id say it is to protect the ignorant from themselves, not having to shutdown access completly due to use and abuse of a fragile enviroment.

Johttp://www.pad.no/
A viking in a desert :-)
AnswerID: 33126

Reply By: Roly - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 16:40

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 16:40
yep mckenzie is a day area only.. with the long 1 way track due to its popularity,,

best to get there before 10am if you want to park during peak season.

Roly
AnswerID: 33137

Follow Up By: jackablue - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 20:12

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 20:12
I was there last week & by 10am it was full, forget about parking unless you sat in your car & waited. I was there from 9.45am till 1.30pm. Lake Birrabeen, south of Mc Kenzie, is a larger lake & larger beach. Not many tourist there. We had the whole beach to ourselves in school holidays.

Jackablue
FollowupID: 23935

Reply By: Graham - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 19:56

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 19:56
I have heard that they are going to upgrade Central Station to cater for more campers.
AnswerID: 33168

Reply By: kezza - Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 22:38

Wednesday, Oct 08, 2003 at 22:38
When I first camped at Mckenzie we could sleep on the beach, since then camping has steadily progressed away from the lake. Last time I was there we camped a good 80-100 metres from the lake - the sand we camped on was dirty black from campfires and grime. The lake was frothy and not the pristine lake I have on photos from tthe 70s and 80s. As much as I hate to say it they are correct to close down the close camping to McKenzie just to protect it from overuse and pollution. It is a very sensitive ecosystem which will not cope with body oils and salts, human waste and refuse and soot and charcol from fires.

Personally I just wont go there much anymore as I cannot bear to see it so changed or to camp in restricted areas with posts signs and grubby ground under me.
There is a lot National Parks could do to make the camping more attractive and scenic but they have to look after what is truely a National Treasure. I (we all) have to accept that the freedoms we once had in such magnificent areas are now gone but Im thankful my children have at least seen it still beautiful and I hope by restricting access it may recover its magic in the future.
I at least know of some less visited pristine areas in the region as I have been exploring it thoroughly for the last 25 years but none quite as unique as McKenzie

cheers
Kezza
AnswerID: 33194

Reply By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 08:54

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 08:54
To close McKenzie off to vehicle based access would be a real shame. Close it to camping??? well that may be an option for the reasons mentioned previously. Camping in Dundaburra camp ground can be really messy in wet weather because of the dirty sand (that's why we camp on the beach) and you'd think a tractor bucket load or two of fresh sand every now and then wouldn't cost too much just to freshen the place up.
I notice they've gone all classy at Eli Ck with stainless hand rails and fancy foot treads so there must be a bit of cash floating around.
They closed one of the best inland 4WD tracks some years ago (Bowaraddy) to a destination that is nowhere near the quality of McKenzie so I hope they don't close the vehicle track to there as well.
It's still a magic place though
Oskar
AnswerID: 33213

Sponsored Links