Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 16:19
ThreadID: 76744 Views:6321 Replies:6 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Here's the latest edited BoM update:

FLOOD ADVICE FOR COOPER AND WARBURTON CREEKS
Issued at 2:30 pm on Wednesday, 10 March 2010

1. FLOOD ADVICE :
COOPER CREEK SYSTEM
The Cooper Creek at Nappa Merrie, Qld, has reached moderate flood levels with a height of 6.3 metres recorded at 9 am Wednesday 10th March. The river is rising and levels are expected to exceed 7 metres later this week. It is
possible the level may reach 8 metres in the next 10 days. This will be at the road level - see pic in Places. Levels at Nappa Merri have not exceeded 7 metres since May 1990 and reached 11.1m on the 17th of that month

A level of 6.4 metres was recorded at Cullyamurra Waterhole at 7 am . Rises to 8.5m by the weekend and 9.5m within 10 days are possible.
Local sources estimated the level at the Innamincka causewayto be 6.8 metres at around 9 am .It is expected that the water level in Cooper Creek at the Innamincka causeway will rise above 9 metres by the weekend [13th/14th March] with the possibility of the level peaking above 10 metres in the next 10 to 12 days. These levels will also result in increased flows in the Strzelecki Creek.

DIAMANTINA-WARBURTON SYSTEM
The Diamantina River at Birdsville remains at moderate flood levels. The river
is expected to remain at moderate flood levels over the coming days. Flows
through to the Warburton River in South Australia continue.

Travellers to the region are reminded to take care at all creek crossings and to
seek information on road and track conditions from the Department for Transport,Energy and Infrastructure at
http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/quicklinks/northern_roads/northern.asp.

2. RIVER HEIGHT OBSERVATIONS :
For the latest river heights refer to
http://www.bom.gov.au/hydro/flood/qld/west.shtml

The next Flood Advice will be issued by 4 pm Friday 12 March 2010.

All that Cooper water is heading for the Birdsville track crossing with a months worth of flooding already ahead of it. The ferry crossing is slightly upstream so will flood first. Pity we haven't got some pix - Wrightsair where are you?...W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 19:47

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 19:47
6.3 metres.

Bugger.

Hello Safari snorkel.
AnswerID: 408282

Follow Up By: Member - Christopher P (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 20:59

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 20:59
Snorkel, i think you need scuba gear!!!
FollowupID: 678227

Reply By: Teraa - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 22:24

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 22:24
Trev's gone overseas - Wrights Air
Don't t reckon the Warburton will do much fillinng of the Lake unless there is follow up, it's starting to rise 200 nautical miles from the mouth. To far between flow events. I guess it would depend on the flow from the Cooper it hasn't been in the picture for a while.
Keep your eye on the Lake Eyre national Park page they are suppose to be flying over again depending on the budget I suppose.
Locals are bracing themselves for life without supply trucks
AnswerID: 408308

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 22:52

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 22:52
Ah, the elusive Teraa. Here's two pix to prove the 2010 Cooper floods are a match for 1990 - about 10% less water this year but I have to wait till the end of the month to include March which will boost this years colours.Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Enjoying your reporting, what else is new?... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 678250

Reply By: Teraa - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 23:15

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 23:15
so how much got to the lake in 1990 and does anyone know how long it was over the track. so I can start pinning for fresh donnuts or escape completley, QLD seems to be the fun part of the world at moment. I am awaiting for the water so I can trip the warburton again. wicked pics are we sure that the eyre creek is only a moderate flood I got readings the other day as major but that wasn't in Birdsville. I got stories from some properties of some pretty heavy falls.
AnswerID: 408314

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 09:49

Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 09:49
The ferry ran for 7 months in 1990 but I don't know if the water reached Lake Eyre. It definitely did not in 2000 according to the BoM report. Eyre Ck is in a major flood at Marion Downs and will take 4 weeks to cross into SA. Then it will be joined by the Diamantina water which is still a major flood at Roseberth Station just upstream of Birdsville. Then the two merged flows are called the Warburton.
The Burke and Wills bridge at Nappa Merrie is only 65cm above the still rising water at 6a.m. this morning.... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 678294

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 23:46

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 23:46
Hi Warri
I hope that it does go over, because if it does, we will be making a quick trip up just for the ferry ride and the photos. I will give Patsy another call in a few weeks to get her side of the picture.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 408318

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 15:08

Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 15:08
Can't see how all this water won't make it to the ferry. The flood looks as big as '90 when the ferry ran for 7 months - gives you plenty of time to plan. Could be afew washouts on the way though - check out Sir Kevs post.. W
Warrie

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 678346

Reply By: Teraa - Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 21:38

Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 21:38
Okay this 3rd hand info but it is from a very well known ancient local.
They flew over the area and the flow is 12km from the Mungerannie Station boundry, approx. 100km to go to the Track and has to fill Lake Hope that I reckon would have got high rainfall as the rest of the district no recorded rainfall data from this area. The flow they say is going at around 3km per day.
The pulse in the Warbuton is not far away, you guys will have to post photos for me when I go boating.
AnswerID: 408473

Follow Up By: P-jay - Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 18:54

Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 18:54
mm, this is all very interesting. i took my plane up to the Kallakoopah twice last year, and spent a week or more travelling along it, then on to Birdsville.
in 1975 i took 3 boat trips down the Cooper into Lake Eyre, and down to the Peninsula. i have lots of great memories, photos and film of that time. but the plane is the way to go now. i am thinking about coming up to Etadunna and heading up towards Lake Hope/ Lake Appadare to see if i can find the water. i don't want to go if it's too hot, but this is a chance too good to miss. i reckon if the water fills Lake Hope, it's pretty well much contained from there to the Birdsville Track where is spreads out to the west , then into a pretty well defined channel to Lake Eyre.. 100 k's @ 3k's per day gives me some time. i landed at Lake Hope last year on the dry bed. i reckon around 1979 i was there fishing and swimming. has anyone seen any photos of the water in the area ?
cheers,
Phil
FollowupID: 678940

Reply By: Teraa - Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 21:19

Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 21:19
It's not hot I call it Gold Coast weather but that depends on what u call hot
28 - 35. Wright's Air has some photos near Innaminka I don't know the area well enough to say what pics are any good to you if I see any I let u know.
The rocky country has dried out from the rain now just the soaks are wet.
post some photos there's not much news on the Cooper in the area you talk about at the moment. I have been wondering when my donuts will get cut off Mossies & sandflies are evil.
AnswerID: 408992

Follow Up By: P-jay - Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 22:21

Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 22:21
thanks Teraa, i can handle those temps, no probs. i was wondering how much water was still lying around in the claypans, etc. i guess it won't take much to dry them out.i have lots of aerial photos of the Kallakoopah, Goyder's Lagoon, and did a run from Etadunna to the Cooper Mouth around July, so have plenty of shots from that trip also. also plenty of photos in among all the wildflowers. i was planning on going back into the lower end of the Simpson in June. but i am seriously considering going to the Cooper in the next few weeks. my mechanic has one cylinder off the plane at the moment. i want to give it a good run, before going to the desert. the heat can be a problem for the aircraft, usually equals high oil temps, esp at low levels.
this Cyclone coming down the Coral Sea might add a whole new dimension to this discussion. i remember in '74 or '75 Brisbane was nearly washed away, and that was the BIG flood in the Lake.
the next 7 days will tell,and then i'll decide which way to go.
i gather you are around William Creek? or Arkaroola? maybe we could catch up if you are around? i'd be interested to hear about your trip down the Warburton.
cheers,
Phil
FollowupID: 678990

Follow Up By: Teraa - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 22:26

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 22:26
Just typical just as I say cool enough I notice some evil temps coming in on the weekend but I am pretty sure you'll work that out. I reckon you'll be in for treat the place is just amazing. Cyclones what cyclones trying to ignore them. Have a great trip give us a story when you get back about the cooper.
The Warburton is just 3m 205 nautical miles from the mouth and rising slowly.
FollowupID: 679112

Follow Up By: P-jay - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 23:31

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 23:31

let's see how we go uploading some photos of Moomba gas plant sent to me today. oh yeah, and my buddies sheep dog getting an overall view of the job before starting work
FollowupID: 679121

Follow Up By: P-jay - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 18:03

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 18:03
looks like i'm going to have to do the basic course in posting photos....Phil
FollowupID: 679215

Follow Up By: Teraa - Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 17:32

Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 17:32
warburton creek head waters hit cowarie boundry today the mailman was spinning out he's is only young it's just water but apparently loads of it
FollowupID: 679315

Follow Up By: P-jay - Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 17:44

Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 17:44
G'day Teraa,
does the mailman come from the Port? would he be able to bring up some avgas for me ,do you think ?
cheers,
Phil
FollowupID: 679321

Follow Up By: Teraa - Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 21:38

Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 21:38
Sorry can't help you there don't know much about him.
I did hear ages ago something about Mt Isa was his base West or East wing
I don't think he has a very big plane try
Track frieght - Tom Makay in Adelaide
I heard he might be coming up with stuff for miners near Mungerannie
Mungerannie no good to ya can't land there
try bush logistics or lyle for a landing in Marree
FollowupID: 679368

Follow Up By: P-jay - Sunday, Mar 21, 2010 at 17:18

Sunday, Mar 21, 2010 at 17:18
Thaks Teraa,
i'll give both of them a call this week and see what they come up with. i can do it, but it's a long drive and would probably work out cheaper to have them haul it. what's the deal with the strip at Mungeranie ? is it out of order ? i have checked it out on Google Earth, and it looks ok, or are we talking private property issues? i don't want to go treading on toes , the bush might be a big place ,but word travels fast. i want to be a considerate traveller.......
cheers,
Phil
FollowupID: 679704

Sponsored Links