Doing wheel bearings.

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 20:53
ThreadID: 76754 Views:2645 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, i having lots of fun doing the wheel bearings in my old girl, 82 hilux.

Day 1: out vehicle up on jack stands, take wheels off, clamp flexible brake line, undo and remove left rear axle. Strip brake stuff off backing plate, wire brush and angle grinder clean.

Day 2: Paint all cleaned parts, press in new bearing, pressed it in crooked, then had to disassemble brake gear to un press bearing, re-press it back in, re fit brake components, have lunch with mate.
Start on left side.

Day 3: Clean and paint, backing plate, bearing hoder, press in bearing fit axleand bearing, refit cleaned brake gear, pull out 4.3 rear diff and axle assembly.

Wire brush and clean then paint.

Noticed that right rear bearing had marks in the plastic bearu\ing seal!!!

Bearing had grit and ran rough when spun, (there's some of my additional noise gone).

So it pays to own your own press.

Day four: refit old 4.875 diff finish cleaning? painting axle assembly, refit and grease all grease nipples.

So thats my fun 4 day's, rebuilding the rear end of my fourby.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 21:41

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 21:41
Well done mate, nothing like the satisfaction and $ benefit of having done it yourself.

I am steeling myself to tuck in and do my front axle swiel hubs, wheel bearings on my 105 series this 4 days off.
AnswerID: 408302

Follow Up By: Member - Christopher P (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 22:07

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2010 at 22:07
Thats on my list as well, so we are in the same boat, plus i have a 5 spd box for it as it has the 4 spd.

The fronts look difficult but not to bad. I have read up on it so many times now that i can see the procedures in my sleep.

here's a link that might come in handy for you!

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/index.php?doc=201

theres a pdf that might com inhandy

good luck

And thank you.
FollowupID: 678244

Sponsored Links