Hyden - Norseman road

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 10:49
ThreadID: 76767 Views:3964 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi, i know there has been a thread on this topic before but its been archived so i dont think i can add to it?

Just wanted to know from those who have driven this road, how long should i allow to get from Hyden to Norseman? The WA Golden Outback website says 4-6 hours but with it being only 300km or so i wondered why it should take more than 3 and a bit hours if it is indeed a good dirt road?

Before someone suggests i take it slow - I know there is much to see along there but my destination is Brisbane in a week so I will sightsee the road another time...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 11:21

Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 11:21
Hi Aussielass,

Although its a reasonable dirt road, you can't average 100kph all the way.

A safer bet is averaging 80 kph all the way therefore you need to allow 4 hours plus.

If you try and average 100 kph you'll probably find yourself upside in the scrub - just my thoughts.

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 408352

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 12:13

Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 12:13
There's a bit of mining along the way, and if you get caught behind an ore truck, they're unlikely to pull to one side for you. Last time I went thru, I decided to take a lunch break at Lake Johnson rather that try to pass. It's a pretty good road most of the way, tho.
Gerry

FollowupID: 678311

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 12:55

Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 12:55
A straight forward regional gravel road as mentioned above - I took a pic last October - indicative of the general condition throughout.
We took about 7 hours towing our van - but we cruise quite sedately and like to stop a few times and have a good look around :-o)...........
Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 408369

Reply By: Member - mazcan - Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 15:03

Thursday, Mar 11, 2010 at 15:03
hi aussie lass
i know the road is better now than it was in may 2005
i drove through there in a new vw golf 1.9ltr diesel hatchback towing a small concord camper trailer

both had only 115 mil rd clearance i stopped three times to take photos and/or toilet breaks
i have just pulled out my diary from 2005

i have a farming background and am a down to earth aussie bloke i drove according to conditions

i departed main street of norseman at 1-15pm and arrived safely in hyden main street at 4-40pm trip time 3hrs 25mins

i did meet one of the mine rd trains in a dusty section and he actually slowed right down as he approached me so i could see where i was giong in all the dust as i passed him and i have been told by others going through there that the rd trn drivers are very considerate to other rd users

it would take 4-6 hrs if you were stopping looking at the tourist attractions so aussielass you can do it safely in 3.5hrs use common sense and remember its roo/emu territory
have a safe journey
cheers
AnswerID: 408395

Reply By: Member - Bentaxle - Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 17:13

Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 17:13
I travelled from Hyden to Disappointment Rock over Aust Day l/weekend towing camper trailer and found that 80km/h to be the ideal speed, some sections were corrugated/potholed but at 80km/h they didn't cause any discomfort.

Mike
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 408584

Follow Up By: Aussielass - Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 21:59

Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 21:59
Thanks for the thoughts, much appreciated! If we were to have a stop what sight would you recommend stopping for? Preferably something not far off the road...
FollowupID: 678975

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 14:59

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 14:59
hi aussielass
the one i would choose is johnson lake there is a nice area just off the road and with shady trees and you can see along the lake while having a cuppa ???? ect
on the right side as you aproach the lake
cheers
FollowupID: 679050

Sponsored Links