Battery charger not working ???

Submitted: Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 00:06
ThreadID: 76793 Views:5236 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

can't find my charger manual so:

have a Projecta 10,000mA charger for my camper batteries.

charger plugged into 240v mains switched on. (I checked mains power is working)
No indication that charger is running.
The charge light (orange) comes on but the power light does does not (red). Batteries are at 12.2 (multi meter reading) so it should be charging.

Hooked up my spare charger and it is charging fine, so pretty confident it is the charger that is the problem!

Has the internal fuse blown in the unit?
Is it an easy fix that I can do or will it require professional repair?

Had the mains power switched off this morn, so sparky could do some out door lighting maintenance. Forgot about turning the charger off so maybe the fuse went when power was turned back on?

Evan.


Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 07:17

Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 07:17
Evan,

It should be an easy enough task to open the case and see if you can spot an internal fuse.

Apart from that, try ringing Projecta (google search) or take it to somewhere like Battery World for checking.


Bill.

Bill


I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 408513

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 08:38

Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 08:38
Sold a couple of these in the workshop, one just went one year old and stopped working, opened it up and no fuse and nothing "looked" burnt or broken.Ordered in a replacement and the customer charged one battery and his new one did the same thing again.Next one we got him was a CTEK.
AnswerID: 408524

Reply By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 09:23

Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 09:23
Evan, Now this is a long shot but may just be the case.

If, as you say, the charger was plugged-in while the sparky was working on your installation and he applied an insulation tester (megger) to the wiring, the high applied voltage may have damaged the charger. Of course the sparky should not have applied the insulation tester whilst appliances are connected but he may have!

You could ask the sparky if he did an insulation test but he likely will twig that there is some problem and say "no".

Cheers
Allan

Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 408528

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 21:01

Saturday, Mar 13, 2010 at 21:01
Insulation testers do not have much of a current output.

However if it did blow the charger then I think he did you a favour. If the charger is that sensitive then it would not take much of a transient down the line to blow it. There have been threads on other forums regarding their reliability - all negative.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

0
FollowupID: 678648

Reply By: TerraFirma - Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 11:49

Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 11:49
It's the fuse, mine has done the same thing I few times, it uses a 15amp fuse
AnswerID: 408550

Reply By: mattd - Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 18:22

Friday, Mar 12, 2010 at 18:22
Funny that!!! Mine went last week!!! Changed to another brand, because it might do it again when i am not in the vacinity of a fully charged battery...
AnswerID: 408595

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (14)