Caravan Parking

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 14, 2010 at 22:47
ThreadID: 76867 Views:2475 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know if there is a Web Site/Directory that has a listing of Parking Bays for Caravans/Big Rigs for travellers in major towns & cities around Australia when just passing through.For example where can you park in Albany WA ,reasonably close to the CBD for shopping ect.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: REV'S - Sunday, Mar 14, 2010 at 23:07

Sunday, Mar 14, 2010 at 23:07
Purchase a copy of Camps Australia 5, very handy when looking for a camp. You should find what your searching for.

Cheers Rev's
AnswerID: 408850

Follow Up By: Flash32 - Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 00:42

Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 00:42
I am not too sure that the "Camps" books tell you were to park if you are just passing thru and looking for somewhere to park while you do your shopping.
Many towns fail to provide parking bays for the folks pulling vans or boats for that matter. For short term parking
Some time ago I wrote to our local shire office in Mandurah WA about the lack of facilities so visitors could restock and was told in their reply that "visitors should stock up before they get to town"
As Gone Bush will testify they leave" just a bit to be desired"
RodnEls
FollowupID: 678833

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 00:59

Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 00:59
Hi RodnEls

Some towns are just not tourist orientated or RV friendly.

Hi Cookie & Di

The CMCA has an RV friendly town programme, and for towns that comply, parking is part of the equation:http://www.cmca.net.au/pages/motorhoming_information/cmca_schemes/rv_friendly/RVFriendlyTowns1.php

Many other towns have well signed caravan parking, and dedicated caravan and large motor home parking areas close to the CBD. If they don't, we drive on through and shop somewhere that welcomes our custom.

In large suburban supermarket type shopping centre car parks, there are often vacant areas on the perimeter (as people tend to park closer to shops) and we can run through several adjacent parking bays (our rig is long).

In my own town, i am bashing my head against a brick wall to get the local Council to do anything for caravanners, but i can direct travellers to centrally located and roomy parking suited to caravans, even though Council have not erected signage.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 678834

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 01:13

Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 01:13
Whereis maps will show parking areas in a town, but not specify if suitable for caravans. It is quite a walk, but if all else fails in Albany, you can head down towards the port from York Street where there used to be plenty of room and walk up the street. You may well find enough room in the street at the bottom end, near the stock agencies. It is quite some years since i used to shop in Albany.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 408859

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 15:18

Monday, Mar 15, 2010 at 15:18
hi
last jan/09 when i was in albany there was some rv and caravan bays near the tourist center
below the town near the port entrance off york st and a couple of cheeky ones we noticed even stayed over night in those bays
hope this helps
cheers
FollowupID: 678899

Sponsored Links