Petrol on the Tassie Ferry

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 22:22
ThreadID: 76935 Views:3652 Replies:9 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all.

We're taking the van over to Tassie next month and I know that the 20l petrol container I keep on the 'A' frame needs to be empty and vented. The question is can we have fuel in the generator tank? Gennie will be locked up in the back of the Prado.

Many thanks

John & Helen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 23:24

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 23:24
Hi John and Helen

The gennie fuek tank would surely be considered a 'container'? Ours had been left dry and not used for many months.

We filled any used ULP can with water according to their terms and conditions; new ones were OK dry.

Extracts:

This policy applies to all hazardous items carried or likely to be carried on the vessels by passengers in mobile homes, caravans, campervans, camper trailers, cars, trailers, motorbikes, bicycles or by foot passengers in personal baggage.

Note: In the event a petrol/diesel can has residual fuel inside, and thereby may have a dangerous gaseous/air mixture, passengers should fill the canister with water before being allowed to travel and to remain with the passenger vehicle.

Vehicles however can have full fuel tanks: The fuel tanks of accompanying vehicles do not have to be drained of fuel.

It may be worth a phone call or email to Spirit of Tasmania to clarify.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 409170

Reply By: Member - Josh (TAS) - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 23:40

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2010 at 23:40
I would ring them about the gennie. I have seen a few people forced to tip fuel out and then fill with water, including diesel containers. Due to quarantine breaches recently they have been cracking down on things. Mind you there was not much quarantine before really. If they can smell vapours in the tank they may ask you to put water in it. The problem is it depends on who you get doing the inspection as to how strict they are. I have sometimes been checked inside and out, other times they just looked under the bonnet and asked if I had anything else???????
Re the container on the draw bar, if they can smell fumes you will need to fill it with water.
As I said it is a bit hit and miss but if you are unsure ring them and ask.

Josh
AnswerID: 409171

Follow Up By: Member - Johny boy (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 08:35

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 08:35
I would ring and find out from the horses mouth 1st as I just got back on sunday after 4 weeks on tassie and all I remember them asking for is unsecure gas bottles as there was a big trailer full of them and some people try to hide them under the bonnet ? I know this because I asked the guy on sunday what he was looking for in the engine bay. I had my gennie with some feul in it and I also had a brand new 1 ltr container for our colman deul fuel lantern which I did not even think about untill this post ??
Cheers ..and please let us all know what they say :)
FollowupID: 679135

Follow Up By: Member - Josh (TAS) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 19:04

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 19:04
As I said it is hit and miss. I watched a guy tip 6 jerry cans of deisel out on our first trip over. I talked to a guy on our 2nd trip who had fuel for the gennie and wasn't a problem.

Josh
FollowupID: 679226

Reply By: DIO - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 08:54

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 08:54
But why would anyone need to carry fuel (other than for their motor vehicle). It is readily available in Tasmania - believe it or not. I can understand the issue with empty containers and fuel fumes.
AnswerID: 409187

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 10:03

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 10:03
G'day DIO,

Tassie might form part of a bigger trip. I normally travel with 2 jerry cans and a gennie, gas bottles, diesel (for heater), butane for torches and some oils. I guess I would have to reconsider my normal travel supplies when I go to the Apple Isle.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 679146

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 08:59

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 08:59
Where does all this polluted water and fuel go to when you empty the containers? Do they provide a hazardous waste dump point?
I have not had first hand experience but have heard about the hazardous material trailer for gas. Why don't they have another for liquids?
AnswerID: 409188

Follow Up By: Nargun51 - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 09:56

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 09:56
If it is in the terms and conditions of passage on the vessel relating to fuel containers, why do the ferry company need to provide a safe disposal point?

The ferry operators are quite within their rights to refuse passage if the terms and conditions are not abided with and to tell the people to go away and come back when they comply. If they miss that ferry, it is the passenger’s responsibility

Surely it is the responsibility of the person who has booked the passage and has agreed with the terms and conditions to ensure that fuel is disposed of properly prior to arriving at the ferry.

It is not as if the terms and conditions are not readily available (the ticket, web site, and a telephone).

If a person does not dispose of fuel in a proper manner they should be charged under the appropriate legislation.
FollowupID: 679144

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 18:25

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 18:25
Fair comment Nargun

Most of us book many week in advance, so have plenty of time to read the conditions and organise ourselves. Or are those getting caught with petrol at the wharf trying to pull a sneaky?

With the price of fuel these days it is a darned easy commodity to give away not waste and cause a disposal problem.

Perhaps they should (and they may do) confiscate the container as well as the fuel.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 679220

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 10:07

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 10:07
Recon that this whole post should be removed , dont want the operators of the MiCat ferry [Bris to Moreton Isl] to get the idea of not being able to take extra fuel [ in approved containers ] ,,,
AnswerID: 409196

Reply By: Wizard1 - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 11:07

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 11:07
Why wouldn't you just empty them all and fill up in Tasmania.

Seems logical to me.
AnswerID: 409205

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:44

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:44
Because you would also have to empty them on the way back. It is probably better not to take any at all. This is a bit more difficult if they get anal on such things as gennies and the like.
FollowupID: 679173

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:09

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:09
We stayed at the Ashleigh Gardens CP in Melbourne prior to our day trip on the Spirit. We had a can of ULP as we had anticipated using the air conditioner on our tour across to Melbourne but didn't need it. Also we like to have some fuel on hand for emergency use of the genny. Everyone was trying to give away fruit and vege and fuel. Most had filled up their vehicles for the trip. We eventually found some young lasses in a little old sedan who were not going to Tassie (or had just come back) who were delighted with the ULP donation.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 409213

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 16:44

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 16:44
We are planning a trip to Tassie early next year. We would tart and finish at home base so would be able to leave the spare diesel container home. How would we get on when free camping, do we need a genny. If we had solar could we leave the genny and spare fuel home?
If we had water in the fuel containers is there a problem with the residue when emptied and refilled with fuel? New at this.
AnswerID: 409242

Follow Up By: westskip - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 19:47

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 19:47
Hi Rod

It's a matter of choice as to whether to use a generator or solar when free camping. We've decided to go with our generator which we've had for a number of years now. Even with solar it is sometimes necessary to run a generator depending on the output of the solar.

I have yet to check with the Ferry people regarding fuel left in the generator tank and I will empty all the fuel from my jerry can and then run the compressor hose into it for half an hour or so to help vent the fumes.

I will certainly NOT put water into the generator tank and I'm not too keen on putting water into any fuel container.

John
FollowupID: 679232

Follow Up By: Andrew-rodeo - Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 09:05

Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 09:05
Try filling containers with carbon monoxide its an inert gas therefor not explosive and easily available. Welders do this to fuel tanks if they need to be welded surely it would satisfy the ferry police.
FollowupID: 679278

Follow Up By: westskip - Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 10:26

Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 10:26
Hi Andrew

Now that's a good idea. Should be easy enough to run a hose into the container from the vehicle exhaust and would only need a short time.

John
FollowupID: 679283

Follow Up By: Member - Brett M (TAS) - Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 21:33

Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 21:33
To get the residual water out of you containers put in a small cup of metho, shake and then tip it out

Brett
FollowupID: 681433

Reply By: westskip - Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 10:39

Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 10:39
Hi all

Many thanks for your suggestions on this thread. I contacted the Ferry office today and they initially asked if I could wash out the generator tank to which I replied that there was no way I would take this action. I then suggested that I could vent the tank with exhaust gases and they advised that this would be perfectly acceptable.

John
AnswerID: 409338

Sponsored Links