Cooper Creek Ferry Update

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 21:33
ThreadID: 76957 Views:3087 Replies:1 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Today the flood front of the Cooper is 120km west of Innamincka. 3 million megalitres = 3 cubic km have flowed past the town in the last 6 weeks with arguably another 3 to go. Various sources put the daily flow rate between Walker's crossing and the ferry at 3, 6 or 10km/day with somewhere between 150 and 180 km of river, swamp, lakes and sand to go from the front to the ferry.
The worst case scenerio is 180/3 = 60 days but thats an outside chance. More likely is 25 to 30 days using 6km/day while 15 to 18days seems a bit fast. Word has it that the roads to the ferry have been graded. So a trip from Maree is about 158km to the ferry with a further 74km to Mungerannie Roadhouse and its soothing warm spa! The Birdsville Track north of here is said to be staying closed until mid May according to the SA Roads site. Map below courtesy of Lake Eyre Yacht Club......W
Image Could Not Be Found
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 22:41

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 22:41
Hi Warri
Sounds great. Would you like me to give Patsy a call about the road being graded, as it goes through their property.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 409286

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 06:55

Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 06:55
Stephen, a general local update would be great.
FollowupID: 679269

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 07:58

Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 07:58
Hi Boobook
I am giving Patsy a call today and will post her reply after I have spoken with either her or Jason.

I does sound like we should all be dusting off the cameras and head north soon for a very unique ferry ride, I know we will be doing it when it does get put into use.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 679272

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 08:27

Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 08:27
That's great Stephen.

Could you also ask her when the roads will be open and "back to normal"

thanks
FollowupID: 679273

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 14:14

Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 14:14
Hi Warrie and Boobook
I have spoken with Patsy this morning and their boys are flat out at the moment grading their tracks from the water damage. Jason flew up to Birdsville last week(the only way to get there) and said that as far as he could see, it was just one sea of water. The Birdsville Track North of Mungerannie could be closed for at least 2 months, there is just that much water.

As for the flood detour, Patsy said the grader has made one pass one way and now has to do the second run the other way. When I asked about the ferry being put into action, she said that because there is just so much water out there, the main body of water is not soaking in like past floods, but just keeps heading south, which in turn is hastening the main body of water flow rate towards the Birdsville Track.

Pasty said the biggest problem now will be sign age, as they are expecting large number of people to head up there to see the flood and directing people to where they can camp .

I think it has now come down from "is it going to cross the Birdsville Track" to when is it going to cross it, as there is just too much water for it not to happen.

So all I can say now to all that read this, is start planning a trip up to Etadunna Station and see a rare occasion that the might Cooper Creek spread it waters over one of the world most famous stock tracks.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 679299

Sponsored Links