Can a 27Mhz CB Radio talk to a UHF set?

I am new to the world of CB and 4WD communications. My mate has a UHF set and I just bought a GME tx830 cb radio. I probably should have done a little more research before I bought it but I guess what I want to know is in the title. Can a CB radio talk to a uhf unit?

Help please?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 23:15

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 23:15
No. Totally different frequency bands.
AnswerID: 409291

Reply By: Member - GREENDOG - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 23:16

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 23:16
No,cheers GREENDOG
AnswerID: 409292

Reply By: Mike DiD - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 23:20

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 23:20
There are two types of CB radios in Australia - 27MHz AM/SSB and 477MHz FM - both having 40 channels.

But they're on totally different bands and there is now way to talk between them.

Virtually everyone uses UHF these days. The sound quality is much better and you can talk long distances use repeaters on hilltops.

I think Uniden made one model that allowed you to talk on either band.
AnswerID: 409294

Follow Up By: Shaggyd0g - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 23:22

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 23:22
ok thanks heaps for the replies. looks like it is gonna be re listed on Ebay then. Is there any point in setting it up? Or should I just go for a UHF unit?
FollowupID: 679259

Follow Up By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 23:29

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 23:29
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Foul Language Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 679260

Follow Up By: Mike DiD - Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 23:37

Wednesday, Mar 17, 2010 at 23:37
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Foul Language Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 679261

Follow Up By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 11:33

Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 11:33
Define "distortion"!

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 679287

Follow Up By: Mike DiD - Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 13:43

Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 13:43
Have a look at the Dictionary Definition of "Bugger" - very sexually explicit isn't it - yet Toyota get away with using it in a TV advertising campaign.

Yet here F is automatically interpreted as implying only ONE word - a word that you hear on the street every day - because its usage has changed to be a very general expletive.
FollowupID: 679295

Follow Up By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 14:07

Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 14:07
OK, I'll try again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike, dunno about the sound quality being much better on UHF.

All I can hear on mine is "BLEEP" this and "BLEEP" that.

Now if anyone does not know what "BLEEP" stands for in actual language, just switch on your UHF and scan. Just as this website, UHF radio in recreation vehicles is accessible to people of all ages and it is not much-maligned truck drivers who broadcast much of the "Foul Language" but fellow four-wheel drivers. The behaviour of some individuals when they believe themselves to be anonymous is appalling.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 679297

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 15:50

Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 15:50
Spot on Allan, thats why I turn the UHF off most of the time in the city cause its disgusting, yer there is a bit of it on the road too, but its not too bad.

And Mike, yep F here means bleep
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 679306

Follow Up By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 16:19

Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 16:19
Yair Bonz, In the city UHF is dominated by unemployed morons amusing themselves with idle idiocy and anyway, UHF is of no value in suburbia. But my greater concern is in the bush where there is frequent and unnecessary foul language broadcast which I find repulsive and heavens knows what my wife thinks of it. I no longer travel with children but there is no way that I would have the UHF on if there were children in the car.

Fortunately, the only use I have for UHF is for convoy comms which is rare. The rest of the time it stays off. In dune country I rely on a quality sandflag. And for emergency I have HF and satphone.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 679309

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 17:51

Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 17:51
I found that the UHF has much better voice characteristics than the CB, in fact we diced the CB's on Fraser Island and just used the UHF and a handheld, event hen on the beach we were getting about 5-8km range
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 679323

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 18:04

Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 18:04
Well always kept mine on on the roads up north and in the west and only a couple of times got foul language.

ALWAYS kept it on Ch 40 in road train area as nothing worse than one sneaking up your clacker unannounced.

Nothing worse than someone with no radio and no mirrors and a I'll travel at 80 and stuff you mentality.

Not pointing the bone but saw a few in the last year.
FollowupID: 679327

Reply By: vk1dx - Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 06:22

Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 06:22
Shaggydog

Just wait a tick. The 27Mhz HF set may be worth hanging on to. We (the family) just recently put them back into our cars (two sons and ours). We got sick and tired of losing comms in the hills and over long distances. Yes You can get comms for long distances on UHF using repeaters. BUT How many repeaters are there in the Simpson. UHF is good for close comms but its not reliable over distances. Only reliable if you can "see" the other car.

Are you like us? Travel mainly with just a few friends or relatives, then see what they have and it may be advantageous to put it in your car.

UHF is a bit of a must because most including truckies and farmers do have it and you can even break in on one of those colourful language conversations if you need help.

Sound quality is a combination of both the radio quality and mode used. AM can be quite good but it is more susceptible to static and interference from storms and bad spark leads. FM is excellent and can handle storms and bad spark plugs heaps easier. SSB is the worst but it will allow you to communicate over a much greater distance than the other two modes.

Phil
AnswerID: 409302

Follow Up By: Member - Christopher P (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 20, 2010 at 22:27

Saturday, Mar 20, 2010 at 22:27
Looks like i'll either be packing the uhf/27 meg uniden or sticking my 27 and uhf in?

i agree with the colourful language bit these days, as it has turned me off using both.
FollowupID: 679617

Sponsored Links