UHF Radio Interference

I have a GME UHF fitted to 2005 GU Nissan 4.2 Tray Back.
Neither Nissan nor GME (and also the retailer/fitter) are unable to explain why there is considerable static when listening to a conversation whilst the car is in motion.

This happens regardless as to how strong the incoming signal strength is.

The vehicle can be stationery with motor running and all is OK but as soon as the wheels start to turn incomes the static.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there an answer?

Thanks
Graeme
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 22:08

Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 22:08
Graeme, I'd be looking at poor electrical connections being vibrated by the vehicle motion.

1. Most likely. The antenna cable and its connections to the radio and to the antenna.
2. The antenna itself.
3. Vehicle panels and in particular the tray. You could try a temporary earth by using battery jumper leads. Connect one black clamp to the battery negative and the other black clamp to the tray then drive the vehicle.
4. Does the interference occur if the vehicle is stationary but with the motor revved a little as if driving? If so it could be an alternator problem.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 409417

Follow Up By: Member - Tezza Qld - Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 22:39

Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 22:39
Is there an electronic rust thingamebob installed that could be creating static?
I have the same vehicle and run 1 gme uhf 2 icom uhfs and a Codan hf all directly wired with no problems

Cheer Teza
FollowupID: 679381

Follow Up By: lladoog52 - Friday, Mar 19, 2010 at 17:42

Friday, Mar 19, 2010 at 17:42
As an experiment both radio and antenna were earthed. No change.
The supplier changed over radio and antenna no change. I have not tried isolating rust convertor.
I agree with one reply that it may be the electronic speedo. I did take this up with Nissan but did not get too far.
The static which is a crackling sound is not unbearable but still should not be there.
Appreciate all the input and will take on board some of the suggestions.

Graeme
FollowupID: 679443

Reply By: Mike DiD - Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 22:53

Thursday, Mar 18, 2010 at 22:53
Can you describe the static ?

- a whine that changes in pitch
- a crackling
- a buzz
AnswerID: 409427

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Friday, Mar 19, 2010 at 07:25

Friday, Mar 19, 2010 at 07:25
Is the actual radio mounted on a plastic part of the vehicle?
If so run a ground/earth wire to the body of the radio, some require the actual body of the radio to be grounded in addition to the normal power and antenna connections.
AnswerID: 409444

Reply By: anglepole - Friday, Mar 19, 2010 at 17:22

Friday, Mar 19, 2010 at 17:22
OK, I have a 3.0 ltre Patrol. I had (have) the same problem with my HF radio and tracked down the problem to the Speedo Electrics. When the vehicle reaches 5km/hour the noise starts. The interference comes from one of the computer modules.

I proved this by carefully and safely jacking up the rear of the vehicle and simulated about 10k and turned of the motor the noise disappeared.

Another trick is to run your radio off a separate battery (8 dry cells will do) and see if the interference stops: if it does, the interference is from the input voltage, if not it is coming in via the antenna.

Good luck

AnswerID: 409503

Sponsored Links