4by's driver position

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 20:36
ThreadID: 7702 Views:1591 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I refer to post 7666

Today I sat in a GU Coil Cab Ute.......very good drivers position and place to almost stretch my legs fully.

Then a GQ ST top of the range....an even better drivers position with space for me left leg and a foot rest.

I tried to get into a Discovery and even with the Steering Tilt up high I bumped my upper leg on the steering wheel. Cancel that one!

On another occassion I sat in a Range Rover Vogue and with the seat on the lowest settiing my head still hit the rooflining

I also tried to sit in the latest and previous model Pajero but there was not enough space to move around in and nowhere to put my right arm when the window is shut

So far the GQ comes up trumps. Have not tried a GU wagon as it will most likely be outside my budget.

Cheers

WillieNever a dull moment
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 22:18

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 22:18
You are making great sense now willem....... Just start talking diesel and high lift...
Are you not going to try a Standard 80 series diesel?_____________________________________________

Follow Up By: Willie - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 23:02

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 23:02
G'day Voxson,

Still have to look at the 80 series. Don't always get the chance to be near car yards out here in the sticks. Spent today in Pirie and Augusta and managed to check those vehicles out. Yep I will be going diesel and a lift, if necessary. My 4by is for camping and treks only so I have to weigh up the pros and cons between a wagon, troopy or ute and how I will utilise the storage space and also make a bed inside. I am finished with sleeping on the ground. At the moment I am thinking of a complete slide-out camping setup to fit in a GQ or 80 series. Will make it myself, of course. We shall see what transpires..........
Cheers
Willie

Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 23856

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 08:37

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 08:37
well if you buy a GQ and manufacture a slideout camping setup i may accidently bump into you one day and sneak a look....
what area do you live in if you dont ming me asking?... pirie-augusta are your closest towns of size.... you must live somewhere between stirling nth and saddleworth...nothing like having a W I D E guess...._____________________________________________

Follow Up By: Willie - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 17:38

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 17:38
Peterborough, edge of the outback...drive 10k north over a hill and the only reminder of civilisation are the jetstreams in the sky!
Cheers
FollowupID: 23911

Reply By: ramp - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 23:08

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 23:08
hi willie, i think you said you were 190cm tall, well im 189 cm and have tried out most of the brands on the market and the only 4by i felt comfortable in with leg room and visibilty was the gu. i know they say the tojo is bigger in all documentation etc but it just didnt feel as good. cheers rob
AnswerID: 33292

Follow Up By: Willie - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 23:13

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 23:13
Thanks Rob,
Don't think I will manage to get into a GU. Have to pay for the darn thing and cannot buy on tick. Then again, you never know your luck in the big city :-)
Cheers
FollowupID: 23858

Reply By: TonyT - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 15:44

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 15:44
Hey Willie What happened to the Troopy idea? Looks like that's the one for me- 2 hand- even though I've been warned about the lack of comfort etc. Not really an issue, but the indoors may have something to say.
AnswerID: 33343

Follow Up By: Willie - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 19:56

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 19:56
G'day Tony

The Troopie is still on the list.

For......twin fuel tanks, loads of space. Bits available anywhere in Australia.

Against...very poor drivers position...nowhere to put left leg and will have to alter. Leaf springs and long overhang at rear. Gearbox problems.
Body shell cracking at top of doors.

Nissan GQ/GU?
For..very good drivers position, reknowned for reliability,coil suspension

Against...low rider..will have to lift. Not enough space in rear for my application..will have to fit LR tank. Not well known for bits in real outback

Everything is a compromise.

Still have to evaluate the LC 80 series

Cheers

FollowupID: 23927

Sponsored Links