Confused (very easily done)

Submitted: Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 19:11
ThreadID: 77093 Views:2837 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
After looking and deciding we want an sr5 instead of the sr we will keep the prado for another year or two till we have enough $$ cash to update to SR5 hilux and get a new trailer instead, as we will need the space. I want to chip the prado 01 grande 1kz t/d, I spoke to the salesman at tuff truck on saturday for DP chip and while very helpfull Im still undecided between that and the Staunbauer. Besides the DP been made here any advantages or disadvantages. I was led to believe the DP had stopped production but obviously not. I have read many forums involving both these products, warranty, which one performs better etc, one saying it does more then the other then have read people have had trouble with both of them. Either way Im up for $1500 for either product. Some say I should go for the brand that goes before the factory computor others saying no go for the one that goes after the computer (witch both these products do). Now Im even more confused then I was before after reading up all day about them ??????? Too much reading I think. Only downfall is I wont be able to use in D4D when I do update. Regards Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 19:40

Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 19:40
Hi Wherehegon

Are you sure this $1500 would not be dead money and make it take longer to get out of the Prado ?
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 409946

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 20:01

Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 20:01
Hi Robin, I was thinking about that but have seen them go on ebay (not very often) anywhere from $700 upwards, so even if I got half back Id be happy with that. I'm looking at 10/15g on top of what my prado is worth to buy a stock SR5 then with suspension, canopy etc all up Ill be looking at over 15k easy to update, I want the chip for a bit more grunt for towing no other reason, depending on how many klms we do in the next couple of years I will keep the stock suspension so it can go back in then sell the OME on ebay even once again if I get half for it Il be happy with that. Im not sure wether the OME in the front end of the prado will fit a hilux or not will find out. Virtually when we are ready to update I will strip the prado and put back to dead standard and what I cant keep for hilux will sell on ebay. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 679897

Reply By: Member - Axle - Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 22:20

Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 22:20
Bloody Hell Steve,...... Just keep plodding mate, and be like Howard and Costello, Keep the dollars piled up somewhere!!,....LOL.

Cheers Axle
AnswerID: 409979

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 23:05

Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 23:05
Yeah might take longer then I think, 2year old already, wife talking about another one !!!!!! Dont think they will be piling up too quickly especially if we have another one, wife will be not working for a while, see what happens,my plan was to get a d4d in a hilux,canopy etc before she stops work BUT still wont have enough to do the mods I will want to do so thought stuff it keep what we have and continue with it, its a great car anyway and has only done 95k (01 model) so still nice and low, wife wants to do a trip at the end of this year so couldnt afford to do it all, update,mods,child etc so cheaper option at the moment is to buy a 4x4 trailer which will be used around the house as well anyway, my cousin still hasnt progressed with it so said to wife stuff it lets go buy a new one ready to go, looking at a couple of grand for that, only live once I keep telling her lol. Regards Steve
FollowupID: 679930

Reply By: aka - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 08:45

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 08:45
I dont know if you have got an automatic when I was in Wauchope last year the of road shop in town advised me not to put a chip in a 3 speed auto
AnswerID: 410012

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 10:07

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 10:07
Yeah its auto ( 4speed with lock up convertor) but no problems fitting a chip to either manual or auto, the chip has absolutely nothing to do with the gearbox even though the auto is electronic, the chip only modifys the signal sent to the injector pump. Still havnt decided which one to get yet, will do some more searching today. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 679956

Sponsored Links