Pole carriers

Submitted: Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 22:36
ThreadID: 77104 Views:13652 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I have quite a few extendable poles for holding the tarp over the camper trailer, so to create more space in the stirage drawer, I was thinking of buying two lengths of poly pipe (white) with end caps that'll hold all the extendable poles wich I can put on top of the tent under the tonneau cover. Trick is, where do you buy them from? I live not far from Wyong. Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - res.q.guy (Vic.) - Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 22:44

Monday, Mar 22, 2010 at 22:44
The cheapest place I have found, is the plumbing section of Bunnings, if you get them from a plumbing suppliers, the parts are quite a lot dearer.
AnswerID: 409984

Reply By: Member - Darrell D (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 06:39

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 06:39
hi Bluemetaldaisy,,
I have just made two pole carriers from 150mm
white,,,, to fit on top of my canopy,,,, used plain ends for the front end
of the pipe , and a screw on end for the rear end , & fitted a clip/over latch
fixed to the screw on end , this clip will take a small padlock,,
the pipe is held in place with 3 150mm pipe clamps,,,,,, I found that popriverts are best to use , as screws catch on the poles,,
hope this helps,,,,,,,,,,, flatty
AnswerID: 409998

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 06:58

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 06:58

Be careful mate.
Over time the ultraviolet rays may affect the plastic to the stage that it weakens the plain (thin) end cap. The end result could be the loss of some poles and maybe even a forward ejection during a hard breaking exercise.

The orange end caps you see on plumbers vans and also the caps available from roof rack accessory outlets are more expensive, but they have a reinforced steel plate to increase security and safety.

100mm pipe is the most common size for poles, etc.



I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 679939

Follow Up By: Ray - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 08:20

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 08:20
Be carefull using poly pipe. Make certain that you give it a good coat of paint to protect it from UV
FollowupID: 679943

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 09:43

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 09:43
What you need is PVC pipe, available from most hardware or plumbing suppliers.
You can glue a plain cap on one end & a screw cap on the other. 100 or 150mm
should suit. Metal brackets are available to attach, dont skimp on the brackets as
a heap of poles weighs a bit........oldbaz.
AnswerID: 410023

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 10:01

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 10:01
When I went to make mine I found it was just as cheap to buy one from a Caravan accessories outlet.

It is very hard to buy cut lengths and by the time I did get a piece cut and bought the ends, for another $10 or so could have had one with a locking cap and all.

This was in Geraldton and the only place that would cut it was Tradelink.

Bunnings wouldnt.

The screw cap and end was $36 for a start and 2 metres and the caps cost nearly $100 plus $20 each for custom brackets to bolt it down

The Caravan place had them already made for $110

That is all 150mm pipe
Cant get enough in a 100mm pipe, is a waste of money

In mine I get about 6 poles, the spreader bar for the awning and 3 Aussie Traveller Rafters.

AnswerID: 410025

Reply By: PradOz - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 11:57

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 11:57
i suggest you glue some foam or other material (timber/carpet etc) inside the end caps to stop the poles breaking the caps when they slide around. easy to do for peace of mind. If you are looking for brackets to support the poles carriers you need stand off brackets available in hardware, plumbing supplies etc, cheers....
AnswerID: 410048

Follow Up By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 12:20

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 12:20
I have cut plugs out of an old 75mm foam cushion. One plug is pushed right down to the bottom of the pipe and the other one I force in after the poles go in. I adjust the poles all to similar length (just shorter than the pipe) before putting them in the pipe and by jamming the foam onto them it prevents any movement at all.Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 679973

Follow Up By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 12:23

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 12:23
I should have said the plugs are slightly oversize so they have to be rammed in.

FollowupID: 679974

Follow Up By: Member - Boeing (PER) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 21:05

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 21:05
Good idea!! Well done
FollowupID: 680024

Follow Up By: Member - Christopher P (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 22:01

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 22:01
i just bought all the bars and spreaders i needed and got the bags for free, i use them to tie off over so my stuff is held tight.
FollowupID: 680030

Reply By: happytravelers - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 22:12

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 22:12
I know this reply is a couple of days late, but I've just come in from the shed where I have been fitting a pole carrier to my new camper trailer. Go for the 150mm PVC pipe as the 100mm you'll find is too small. I found my local Bunnings did not sell the 150 pipe or fittings so I went to the local plumbing merchants. Two meters of 150mm pipe, an end cap, a screw cap and adaptor and two brackets cost me just under $100. I've also done what has already been suggested earlier and glued some old carpet into the end caps to reduce the risk of the poles breaking them.

Regards Jon
AnswerID: 410267

Reply By: Member - Bluemetaldaisy (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 23:14

Wednesday, Mar 24, 2010 at 23:14
Thanks for all those replies. I must admit I "jumped the gun" and got something before I received any of these replies. After contacting my camping trailer supplier, I bought a bag, made from the same material my tonneau cover is made from, and the poles are in that. It cost $30 and can be placed either on top of my gear just under the tonneau or under the mattress in the camper. I'm assured it was the better option due to the fact there's no UV issues and he's not had one returned from being holed yet. If I had've gone with the PVC option, it would've been more like $100+ and would've been bulky under the tonneau. No where to fit it on the outside unfortunately. Will see how that goes...
AnswerID: 410278

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (11)