Jackaroo 3way fridge

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 10:40
ThreadID: 77112 Views:6781 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
all the Easter camping specials are hitting now. I know there were some people who bought the aldi 3way fridge for $299 last year and said they were happy and I saw the catalogue out again and cursed being broke. THEN I saw the kmart junk mail this morning and they have a Jackaroo one for for about the same (with my BIG advantage here being the chance to layby it).

We currently use a very small techni ice icebox/esky with techni ice which works ok for a short trip but we are looking at longer term and hopefully bush camping by next summer or national parks.

So anyone got one? good?? bad?? ugly?? worth popping one on layby for next summer - we are saving for a camper trailer (trailer tent - whatever is the right term) so thought this might be a cheaper option than the $1K engel (without getting into the engel/wacco debate lol).

Anyone know the dos/don'ts of running a fridge on gas in summer with fire restrictions??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 11:00

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 11:00
I used to have a chescold 3 way and found it great for longer trips but on one night stays it was a PITA with having to take it out of the car find some level ground, get the gas hooked up, then having to pack it all up again the next day.

I went to a compressor fridge after about 12 months and never looked back.
AnswerID: 410036

Reply By: Member - Porl - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 11:11

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 11:11
I hired a 3 way once, damn flame kept blowing out at the beach.

Now I have a compressor fridge permanently in the back of the ute and attached via a sidewinder flyer kit and well I can do the house shopping at lunch time now and overnight trips are not noticed and so I'm with Troll.

A 55L evakool yellow one on special will cost you well under $1k.
AnswerID: 410039

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 11:35

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 11:35
Hey Jude, I'm sure you will get good value & results from such a fridge. While I dont dispute the followers of the dearer compressor types, nothing beats the economics of a 3 way on gas. I've had one for 25 years & it works fine. I rarely
take it out of the wagon, connect to a small gas bottle when camped & ventilate
well. Dont run on gas when driving of course.......oldbaz.
AnswerID: 410043

Reply By: brushmarx - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 11:38

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 11:38
We bought a Jackaroo fridge three years ago. Used it for one trip in The back of Qld in summer.
It worked great on 240 volts, pretty well on gas at nights, but dismal on 12 volt driving.
The gas use at night would freeze most things, but they would defrost during the day. Probably a good breeding ground for bacteria.
If used on gas all day, I don't think you would have a problem.
Can't advise on gas use in fire restrictions, although I can't see the tiny little flame in the flue contraption being a fire danger.
We bought a Waeco to replace the 3 way, and couldn't be happier.
Cheers
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 410046

Reply By: Member - Donks1 (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 12:26

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 12:26
Whats with all the Waeco's on Ebay at the moment? There is hundereds of them.

Steve
AnswerID: 410052

Follow Up By: brushmarx - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 17:21

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 17:21
I guess it's just a fact that they are so reliable compared to Engel's that users save so much money in power and lack of repairs, they can afford to upgrade to bigger and better Waeco's as families grow, and used ones are still going and therefore saleable compared to Engel anchors..
But maybe not.
Cheers
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 680000

Follow Up By: Member - Donks1 (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 19:26

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 19:26
These aren't used though. They are new ones !!

Steve
FollowupID: 680014

Reply By: Jude&theboys - Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 13:16

Tuesday, Mar 23, 2010 at 13:16
bumped into a bloke in Kmart this morning who has I think convinced me to ditch the 3way idea and save for the waeco (or engel - although he was adamant about the waeco), it seems they run better and the gas could be an issue in the summer with fire restrictions, for now we will keep with the esky and techni ice - it isn't like we can't go buy fresh if we need to (I just prefer to avoid taking 3 small boys into the supermarket when we are meant to be relaxing). We might just get a solar battery set up happening when we go the 2way, it seems they aren't too dear and there are portable options....and hell in a years time who knows what the options will be!
AnswerID: 410061

Sponsored Links